Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: It IS NOT ILLEGAL to unlock our phones...no really

Default It IS NOT ILLEGAL to unlock our phones...no really
    in fact the government says that it is our right to do so. i was reading some things around the web and came across an artical that said just that. here i will show you.

"The provision likely to be of most interest to consumers is the one allowing cell phones to be unlocked and used on other networks. The Copyright Office allowed this exception because the software that prohibits users from accessing their phone's firmware has little to do with copyright and much to do with a business model. "The underlying activity sought to be performed by the owner of the handset is to allow the handset to do what it was manufactured to do—lawfully connect to any carrier," writes the government in explanation. "This is a noninfringing activity by the user... The purpose of the software lock appears to be limited to restricting the owner’s use of the mobile handset to support a business model, rather than to protect access to a copyrighted work itself."

and...
    "consumers in the US are legally allowed to unlock their mobile handsets after the US Register of Copyrights approved an exemption to the DMCA late last year, noting that "The underlying activity sought to be performed by the owner of the handset is to allow the handset to do what it was manufactured to do—lawfully connect to any carrier." But don't tell that to Apple and AT&T—unless the government bars them from locking out the unlocks, there's virtually nothing stopping them from making sure that the unlocks mysteriously stop working."

so we aren't doing anything wrong hehe. which actually i think is great. and if Apple were to get more aggressive towards unlocked phones i think they would be in trouble.

Also i read that one guy went into an Apple store to have something looked at on his iPhone and because it was seen to be hacked they flatly refused to do anything with it at all. eventually he was given his money back, but just think if he had had this little piece of info. would it have made a difference? who knows but it would certainly have been interesting to see what they would have said. (i forget where i read this, could have been here lol)

i didn't even know this was a law!!!
    Ah the things you learn.

here is the link to the government pdf about the unlocking. http://www.copyright.gov/1201/docs/1...mmendation.pdf

ok just thought it was an interesting tit bit to know. =)
    Last edited by guyverunit; 2007-09-22 at 03:54 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone zoidberg md's Avatar
    Thanks

good researching. Apple and atts arguement looks weaker and weaker.

thats pretty fantastic news but at the same time does that override that agreemwnt with the cell company that we all signed??

If i am correct i think that it definitly voids an extended warranty. I know this to be a fact since i unlocked my v3razr a long time ago.. Maybe not the case anymore bc this law?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Shimizu1006's Avatar
    Thanks

hmmm...it sucks that apple can refuse service becasue of it. If something ever happend to a hacked phone physically than i guess youd just have to restore.
    Sent From My iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone zoidberg md's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cruid View Post
    does that override that agreemwnt with the cell company that we all signed??

If i am correct i think that it definitly voids an extended warranty. I know this to be a fact since i unlocked my v3razr a long time ago.. Maybe not the case anymore bc this law?
    The only agreement is a 2 year contract. Which you can buy out of for $175.

i didn't sign a contract with AT&T. i walked in told them that i wanted the iphone and that was it. they tried to get me to sign up for a plan but i said i only wanted the equipment and i would activate my phone through iTunes, which i didn't. so i signed nothing. =)
    Bio Boosting iPhone Armour

Quote Originally Posted by guyverunit View Post
    i didn't sign a contract with AT&T. i walked in told them that i wanted the iphone and that was it. they tried to get me to sign up for a plan but i said i only wanted the equipment and i would activate my phone through iTunes, which i didn't. so i signed nothing. =)
    So then you obviously already had a sim card from an older plan that already expired out of it's 2 year agreement to get your phone working with AT&T correct?? Curious... This AT&T store in Olympia, WA all they do is try to bend you over backwards everytime you walk in there. They are complete ****** bags They were refusing to give my $200 back after apple changed their terms and conditions. I told them I was not leaving the two counter spaces I was occupying until they did something about it (the store was packed haha). The manager refused 3 times to my face even though they had a print out right in front of them with the proper information. Felt like smackin someone. Another fun hour spent at AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg md View Post
    The only agreement is a 2 year contract. Which you can buy out of for $175.
    And yes, I do know this fact that doesn't really answer my question if you do have a 2 year agreement with them. I'm not trying to spend unneccessary money here just to be considered a "legal unlock" i guess you could say.. The phone was expensive enough :P And I'm not a baller personally.

Still I think my question is valid here. Does that Federal Law override the cell companies the right to refuse service? After all the phone is not their property, I don't lease it from them but then again I do lease the service.
    Last edited by cruid; 2007-09-22 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

nope i didn't have a sim from any old phone. i got my phone, and this was before the sim unlock, connected it and then jailbroke it which bypassed the att&t and alowed me to use the ipod and everything else EXCEPT the phone.

then the unlock came out i unlock my phone, went to a little booth in the mall near me and got a pre paid tmobile sim card, just the sim card and put it in and it worked. thats what i did. i was happy to use it just as an ipod ect till the phone unlock came out. but i never activated it through at&t.

as too whether it overrides the cell companies i'm sure noone has challenged them about it. that wouuld prob take a court case, which of course costs money to do. who knows maybe all of this will bring it to the for front of things and let more people know about this. i never knew that i was ALLOWED to unlock my phone.

that law works in our favor, what doesn't is there is no law acually protecting our rights to do so so Apple could get aggressive about unlocked phones. there is no law saying that they aren't allowed to break an unlock apparently.

i think that if apple or at&t for that matter go after unlocked phones that they are in for some trouble. if in fact you believe that they would purposely do something to brick an unlocked iphone, personally i don't think they would take it that far. but i do believe that they arent going to worry if the next update, whatever it is be it 1.1.1 or after, breaks the unlock. i guess we will have to wait and see.

as for service on them, well it would be interesting to see what would happen if you had to take it in restored it to defaults but still had the unlock, which you are legally allowed to do. it's defiantly an interesting question. again i guess it's going to be a wait and see thing. maybe i should pass on the government pdf on the subject to apple legal hehe
    Last edited by guyverunit; 2007-09-23 at 01:17 AM.

Gotcha, Completely thought you were on a plan with AT&T just like one that would expire after 2 years. Now you mention prepay. I knew that you could activate without using AT&T but I'm deff not going to pay for prepay, I use my phone to much to fork over that much money a month

Thanks for clear it up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I could have swore that I heard Jobs say that Apple didn't care about the hackers, just that it was their job to work to stop the unlocking, because, well, they have a deal with AT&T, and they are probably losing money on every phone that isn't activated through them lol.
    ~Jen

yeah im just doing the pre pay to test things out. i like it so far. if i decide to use the iphone all the time then i will get a proper plan from tmobile, and i probably will!!

and yes i believe that Jobs did say that, i quote him from the UK iphone anouncment
    Q) How concerned are you about hacks with unlocking the phone.

"A constant cat and mouse game we play. People will try to break in and it's our job to keep them from breaking in."

but it's our right to unlock our phone!! does what hes doing infringe on our rights? as i said all of it brings up some interesting questions....=)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    He was very selective in his wording. It leads me to believe they are more concerned with the unlocking than anything else.

Apple would have done much better to sell an unlocked phone, and just charge $50 more for it or whatever it is they are making off of AT&T's activations. Not to mention they'd sell more phones if it wasn't bound to any specific carrier, not everyone is smart enough to unlock their phones.
    ~Jen