Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gmail Archive Skip

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kitsune's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Gmail Archive Skip
    I spent over an hour deleting the archive download when I first setup my gmail account on my iPhone. Well, since I exchanged it today, I lost the settings and will have to do it again, but I refuse to unless I am forced.

Does anyone know how I can skip the download of my some odd 500 messages and just start receiving whatever comes from today onward?

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Go into your Gmail settings, and turn off POP3. Then turn it back on using the "all emails from now on" option.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

unclear (2007-09-21)

Thanks

I did as you said...

I now have 500 emails in my inbox >.<

Looks like I will delete my gmail account and start over. (Delete it off phone.)

I've tried deleting the files themselves off the iPhone and that didn't work, so I am not sure the best way to go about this.
    Last edited by Kitsune; 2007-09-20 at 05:44 AM.

Thanks

Did you add the Gmail account through the Gmail option or through the "other" option. You should do it with the "other" option.

The other option? What is the difference?
    Is there a way for me to NOT receive a copy of every email I send from my gmail account on my iPhone?
    Best Regards

Thanks

Yes. Settings>Mail>Gmail>Advanced>Use Recent Mode>Off.

And by other I mean, when you set up a new account, don't click the Gmail option, just click the "Other" option.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

Kitsune (2007-09-20)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
    Well, since I exchanged it today, I lost the settings and will have to do it again, but I refuse to unless I am forced.
    Why did you exchange it you exchanged it paying the restocking fee? Apple/AT&T let's you just go right ahead on in and say, somethings wrong with the phone....i'd like a new one?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gotstabnoel View Post
    Why did you exchange it you exchanged it paying the restocking fee? Apple/AT&T let's you just go right ahead on in and say, somethings wrong with the phone....i'd like a new one?
    I have an Apple Store about 10 minutes from where I live. I took it there and got it exchanged for a new one. The problem was that within just a few days the sealing around the faceplate had slipped out and snapped, so I had rubber hanging out.

Oh, and much thanks pf, all is well now.
    Last edited by Kitsune; 2007-09-20 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Yes. Settings>Mail>Gmail>Advanced>Use Recent Mode>Off.

And by other I mean, when you set up a new account, don't click the Gmail option, just click the "Other" option.
    I do not see this advanced~use recent mode on my iphone. Is this an updated firmware?

Thanks

Nope. If you have a G-Mail account, it should be there.

Did you add your account through a sync, using the Gmail button in the iPhone, or using the Other button in the iPhone?
    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 2007-09-21 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

An easy way to stop it from sending you your whole arvhive... that is if you dont care about your archive...

Go to gmail on the internet and click on "all" mail and you will see your whole archive. Then delete them all with the "delete all " button near the top. That will move your whole archive to the trash can.

Now open your trash can and again hit "delete all" and it will empty your whole archive.

Now you have a fresh gmail when you activate it on your iphone and there is nothing for it to keep dumping onto your phone cause its empty!

Obviously this is for people who can spare their archives and start fresh..but at least you keep your same email and you will now archive all the future emails without all the fuss on the iphone.

david
    tampa