Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: More PC Help... HDD This Time

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Default More PC Help... HDD This Time
    So.... You guys are probably about ready to shoot me for the problems I keep having. It is just a bad year for me I guess. Anyway, I bought a Seagate HDD off of TigerDirect, popped it in a spare PC and installed XP SP3 on it. So I move the HDD into the computer I actually bought it for and.... I get that blue screen we all love. What could be wrong? The jumpers on the HDD are correct, I've tried Cable Select and just plain setting it to Master. The PC that gives me the blue screen boots correctly with the old HDD that was in it. The new HDD boots correctly on the spare PC though.... Both are Gateways (ick) and were bought about the same time. Oh, and both HDDs are Seagates.
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

if you already have an os on the drive then you shouldnt have any problems. but sometimes it can get wiped when you disconnect it.

i would plug it back into your spare and see if it still boots

Thanks

I always thought that when you installed and OS, Windows in particular, you can't just move it from motherboard to motherboard unless they are both the same. Someone correct me?

*edit*

XP won't allow you to just move the HDD to another piece of hardware very easily.

Link
    Last edited by soulthoughts; 2009-02-19 at 02:08 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    I always thought that when you installed and OS, Windows in particular, you can't just move it from motherboard to motherboard unless they are both the same. Someone correct me?

*edit*

XP won't allow you to just move the HDD to another piece of hardware very easily.

Link
    Oh schweet thanks. Since its a new HDD, I'll just pop it in the new computer and re-install XP.
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan