Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Comp Build Help

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Comp Build Help
    Ok all since I got a some desert money left over i've decided to build myself a nice rig. Now i've got most all my parts chosen except for the damn graphics card.

Core i7 920 2.66 proc
    6GB DDR3 1600 OCZ memory
    Evga mobo
    850 watt psu
    LG drive
    velociraptor HD
    cooler master 690 case

now the vid card needs HDMI since my screen is a 50 samsung plasma. i also plan on crossfire or SLI setup. i am looking Customer Reviews Of SAPPHIRE 100270SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail but i want integrated hdmi

Thanks

Looking at that site, that card's drivers are proprietary and 14% of people said they fail most of the time...
    Personally, I would go with an Nvidia card, but ATi are making a name for themselves again. I know nothing about HDMI cards so you're flying solo, unless H_N_B comes across this post.

Thanks

yeah i was looking at nvidia and liked the 9800GX2 but that price is ungodly

I can't tell what your goal is with this build. You went with a very obvious high end CPU/RAM combo then go for an awesome medium-range card? Go with a 4870x2 or GTX295 minimum. And 50" plasma screen as a monitor? That's...interesting... What's the native resolution the monitor supports?

Wait a minute what am I even thinking. You're using a plasma TV as a monitor? Aren't the resolution in those abysmally small? If so, your entire system is overkill. If its a 1080p (1920x1080) the 4870x2 or gtx295 will work great. (The CPU/RAM still are a bit of an overkill unless you're going to be doing some heavy computing / video editing).
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 2009-02-02 at 11:42 PM.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

iph0n3 (2009-02-03)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    (The CPU/RAM still are a bit of an overkill unless you're going to be doing some heavy computing / video editing).
    He wants to run Crysis, Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress all at once

Thanks

^2.66 and 6GB is overkill? I mean it is a lot, but in the near future that's what everything is going to be like.

All I'm saying is when I think overkill, I think like 3.0 Quad-Core/8GB of RAM (which is what my Mac Pro will like when I win the lottery except with 3.2GHz and 32GB of RAM).
    Respect your elders.

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    He wants to run Crysis, Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress all at once
    You can run L4D and TF2 on a calculator if you tried. Valve runs some of the least-intensive code I've ever seen in any game. And Crysis is hardly the monster people claim it to be. Yes, you need a beefy computer to run it maxed out, but if you can get it to high (2nd highest setting, easily achievable with a medium range system) the game looks stunning. Plus there's plenty of optimized .cfg's out there that will increase visual quality while keeping performance high on lower end systems so I really don't see the point on blowing so much on a high end computer when you can just build a nice medium range computer that will run anything you throw at it (might not max out the most intensive games, but it'll play them just fine) and upgrade it every year or so when needed.

Future proofing in general is a pretty stupid thing to do. You're buying at a premium because you're getting the newest in the market and 6 months from now you'll be able to get the same system for 60% of what you paid and by then they'll be something better than what you have anyways. If you stick to the middle you save a ton of money and still get a reliable system which you can upgrade as you see fit.

I still would like to hear about the specs on the monitor/tv. If it's anything smaller than 1080p you can prob save yourself a couple hundred scaling things down a bit.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 2009-02-03 at 06:38 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

iph0n3 (2009-02-03)

Thanks

Future proofing in general is a pretty stupid thing to do. You're buying at a premium because you're getting the newest in the market and 6 months from now you'll be able to get the same system for 60% of what you paid and by then they'll be something better than what you have anyways. If you stick to the middle you save a ton of money and still get a reliable system which you can upgrade as you see fit.
    I guess that's true, too. It is always nice to have something more powerful ahead of time too, though.
    Respect your elders.

Thanks

You can run L4D and TF2 on a calculator if you tried. Valve runs some of the least-intensive code I've ever seen in any game. And Crysis is hardly the monster people claim it to be. Yes, you need a beefy computer to run it maxed out, but if you can get it to high (2nd highest setting, easily achievable with a medium range system) the game looks stunning. Plus there's plenty of optimized .cfg's out there that will increase visual quality while keeping performance high on lower end systems so I really don't see the point on blowing so much on a high end computer when you can just build a nice medium range computer that will run anything you throw at it (might not max out the most intensive games, but it'll play them just fine) and upgrade it every year or so when needed.

I still would like to hear about the specs on the monitor/tv. If it's anything smaller than 1080p you can prob save yourself a couple hundred scaling things down a bit.
    ^^^Thanks for the info!!! I have been thinking about building a new Desktop. Mid range will do me just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    I guess that's true, too. It is always nice to have something more powerful ahead of time too, though.
    Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. If I had enough money to burn and buy a super-ultra system to really max out everything, I would do it without thinking. But I don't so I try to run myself on a tight budget (so I can spend the money on games).

I built my computer in July with what at the time was the sweet spot of medium range: Wolfdale E8400 C2D, ATI HD4850, and 4GB Ram. I got a nice 22" monitor to go with it (1680x1050 res) and the rest was pretty basic. The entire system (case, guts, mouse/keyboard, monitor, and OS) ran me for under $1200. This system has handled and maxed out almost everything I've thrown at it. There's only two games that pop in my mind that I haven't been able to run fully maxed: Crysis:Wars and GTA4. It can run Crysis:Wars at an "ok" FPS (30-40) at High settings and with a custom .cfg I can get most of the highest settings goodies at the expense of 5-10FPS (rest assured, fully maxing out the game turns the game into a slideshow. Related sidenote, don't use Crysis to test, Crysis:Wars runs MUCH better in any system and looks just as good, they did a great job optimizing the engine). GTA:4 ran pretty crappy at first I'll be honest but then again so it did for everyone. The game was an unoptimized mess but I hear the recent patches have made it much better.

Team Fortress 2, Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, X3:TC, Mirror's Edge, FEAR2emo, Dead Space, Prince of Persia, Race Driver GRID, Unreal Tournament 3 - all of them maxed out and running at 30-60FPS on my system.

Oh yeah, this is all on stock, I haven't even tried OC'ing yet (haven't bought extra cooling for it).

Today my system probably goes for about $1000 or less. If you're planning on getting a computer, building and aiming for medium is the way to go.

EDIT: I have a couple of videos on my YouTube page (in HD!) that show a couple of the games I tend to play most so you can check out how my system runs some games.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 2009-02-03 at 07:26 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

iph0n3 (2009-02-03)

Thanks

which is what my Mac Pro will like when I win the lottery except with 3.2GHz and 32GB of RAM).
    And still no decent games

Thanks

thanks H_N_B and yes the plasma is 1080. But ive been reading around and have been getting that a gtx 260 is a very nice card also. just sorta got all hyped up. Have quite a bit of cash from deploying and just wanna burn what I havent stashed away on a Nice homebuilt rig. I see that i could also scale down some other parts and maybe go and buy the wife some jewelry since I have been away for quite a while.

Thanks

And still no decent games
    Boot Camp? Hehehe...

Or, of course since I did win the lottery, I'd probably make a beastly Windows machine as well. Oh the possibilities.
    Respect your elders.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ALL DAY For This Useful Post:

iph0n3 (2009-02-03)

Thanks

or wait for Snow Leopard and hope the mac pro will use an i7, then find some good hardware and software that people are currently using to run an mac with an i7

So i've taken advice from H_N_B and decided to go 3 GB ram and a nvidia 260 and I guess I can go SLI and add more ram later. But the only pain is getting a case shipped over here in Germany. Youd think that tigerdirect and amazon would consider helping the military out with that.
    Last edited by iph0n3; 2009-02-03 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Assuming you're going to be running Vista, I'd say give it at least 4GB of RAM. If you have space for 6GB, I personally would even go there, but Noodler would know better than I. Still, though... 4GB would be better with Vista/gaming in my opinion and it's not too much more expensive.
    Respect your elders.

Thanks

Assuming you're going to be running Vista, I'd say give it at least 4GB of RAM. If you have space for 6GB, I personally would even go there, but Noodler would know better than I. Still, though... 4GB would be better with Vista/gaming in my opinion and it's not too much more expensive.
    Vista/7 can run fine on 1.5gb of RAM. 3GB is great for the most intensive thing you'll be doing on your PC- gaming- You only run one game at a time, and mem usage from that game won't exceed 2gb (or even come close to it). Vista and running processes in the background won't exceed 512mb so your game will run smoothly on 3GB.
    Last edited by dale1v; 2009-02-03 at 11:40 PM.

i7 requires Ram on 3GB increments. Also, for shipping to Germany, have you tried maybe mailing it to a relative here in the states then having them ship it? Also, the 260 is a good card and yeah, if you're getting an SLI board and you feel you need a little more unf from your system you can just get a 2nd 260 or try overclocking the card with a bit of extra cooling.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 2009-02-03 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks

Yeah I am running most parts thought my bother on post back home and then sending them on a hop over here wont cost more than 3 dollars to get most all of it shipped here just a pain in the ***. yeah the x58 motherboards are tri- channel and i dont think using the 3 slots and putting another gig in a 4th is going to make it very happy. but thanks again Noodle. do you have any other things to add???

Thanks

Vista/7 can run fine on 1.5gb of RAM.
    I thought 3-4GB was optimal for Vista, though?

i7 requires Ram on 3GB increments.
    Did not know that...

Quote Originally Posted by iph0n3 View Post
    i dont think using the 3 slots and putting another gig in a 4th is going to make it very happy.
    I guess not. Especially since the i7 runs on 3GB increments... Maybe with something else, sorry for the confusion.
    Respect your elders.

Quote Originally Posted by iph0n3 View Post
    Yeah I am running most parts thought my bother on post back home and then sending them on a hop over here wont cost more than 3 dollars to get most all of it shipped here just a pain in the ***. yeah the x58 motherboards are tri- channel and i dont think using the 3 slots and putting another gig in a 4th is going to make it very happy. but thanks again Noodle. do you have any other things to add???
    Not really, you got a pretty solid build there and by getting an i7 motherboard you're going to be in a much better position a year or two from now when it's time to upgrade. Same goes with SLI and the beefy power supply (should you choose to get a 2nd video card). The case is pretty nice too and most/all reviews I saw for it were good (it also has no stupid glass panels, ricer cases make me rage so hard). Sucks about all the hassle you're going through to get the parts sent but you'll have a kick-*** system soon so it'll be worth the wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast