Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: So I bought my first Mac

Default So I bought my first Mac
    bought a used Powerbook G4.

Came with OS X 10.3.9
    Processor 867mb
    Memory 1GB SDRAM
    Hard Drive 37.26 GB

Got it for $300

Did I get a good deal?

Anyone want to educate me about it? Needed a comp for school so I bought this one. Sorry for the newbie questions.

It's not necessarily a good deal speaking in terms of the applications that your school will require you to run.

For the latest applications to run, you will at least have to update to 10.4. May I suggest if you plan to use just word processors and internet, you may want to put a Linux distro an run open office instead. You'll get more for your buck running Linux on a 867mhz processor than OS X.

What is Linux distro and where can I buy it?

Thanks

This isn't like a PC.

Just upgrade to 10.4 and it'll run everything it needs to, just a little slower.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

how slower? I don't want to slow. How can I speed it up?

Thanks

Looking at a cost/benefit model RAM is the best way to speed up your computer. For this machine however it looks like you have ample RAM. There is nothing you can really do except maybe get a fast hard drive. I replaced my 4200 RPM HD on my Powerbook G4 with a 5400 RPM, and the speed difference was very significant.
    If I helped you out in any way, hit the Thanks Button.

iPhone? More like TyPhone

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tyfly867 For This Useful Post:

bballcat03 (2008-08-05)

Allright I'll do that. Thanks man!

Can anyone else tell me about my comp? Basically all I'm going to use this for is school and music/movies.

Thanks

oh ... i have the apple IIc with 2 meg xpantion. i have got that foward

j/k i have a MBp

A good Linux distro for G4 PPC is Yellow Dog. I installed Yellow Dog on the Playstation 3 as a media center, it runs great.

I personally haven't ran any current apps on a G4, however I feel a terrible lag to just run Office 08 on my Macbook Intel, I can't imaging the G4.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH View Post

j/k i have a MBp
    Wow, the Apple IIc is way before my age, however my Wall Street still runs as if it was new.
    Last edited by weezyhuy; 2008-08-05 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

The lag on Office 08 is the result of substandard programming on Microsofts part (as usual), not the computer. You can either use Office 2004 on the Mac which runs quite fast even on a G4, there's also OpenOffice for Mac, no need to install a separate OS, and there's Apple's own Pages app, which is their word processor.

You can also install iLife which is iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD. All would run quite well on your Mac.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH View Post

j/k i have a MBp
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    The lag on Office 08 is the result of substandard programming on Microsofts part (as usual), not the computer. You can either use Office 2004 on the Mac which runs quite fast even on a G4, there's also OpenOffice for Mac, no need to install a separate OS, and there's Apple's own Pages app, which is their word processor.

You can also install iLife which is iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD. All would run quite well on your Mac.
    Yes, it's a Microsoft application, however it runs excellent on my penryn MBP, excluding the common bugs. I'm not saying as a comparison, considering the processor differences. Installing RDL on it was a suggestion because bballcat03 ask if $300 was a good investment. Really RDL will make his investment better than 10.4 could.

Thanks

My mom runs a 12in PB g4, 1.33 ghz, 1.25 ram, 5400 RPM 80 gb HD with the current leopard software. That thing runs surprisingly well. Everything she does with it, it handles well. she is no super user, but the PB crunches through 6000 photos in iphoto, 10 GB worth of music, 4 GB worth of movies, plus her 2 GB of mail all while pushing a second 19in widescreen monitor at full resolution.

ok so how do I upgrade to 10.4?

I click on the lil apple logo and click "software update" but it only comes up with iTunes and Quicktime

Thanks

Hm get leopard? You might be able to.
    And to upgrade you need to buy the disc.

so do I want to upgrade to 10.4 or leopard?

10.4.11 or 'Tiger' is really all you'll need. You can sometimes find retail install disks on eBay or macsales.com (one of my favorite web shopping sites for Mac stuff).

Also, you might be able to pick up some speed not only by using a 5400 rpm drive but a 7200 rpm drive.

There's also a couple of good threads in this section about Mac apps to have, websites, forums, tech help, etc. etc.

also, I don't really need to buy the disk do I?

I can just download it using Torrentz or mIRC can't I?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballcat03 View Post
    so do I want to upgrade to 10.4 or leopard?
    this is where doing your own research plays a role. 10.5 (leopard) is the newer, more advanced OS. it should run on your computer just fine. You can get it from apple, amazon, or the like.

Im sure you can find a 10.4 disc floating around somewhere on the internet to buy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Even my Macbook with a couple gig of ram takes forever on office 08, but that's been discussed and beaten to death at other mac forums and proven to be a hunk of crap software so no need in furthering it............

office 04 is the way to go and cheap too, you just can't use docx files which is office 08 format.