Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Trying to get healthy, any tips?

Lightbulb Trying to get healthy, any tips?
    Hey guys, I'm trying to get back in shape. I don't have much to get rid of fat wise, just a bit of a gut that I'm working on toning in. I've been asking my coworkers (who are health junkies) about diet ideas, and have gone as far as getting a protein shake mix for after my workouts (helps build up muscles). I am still interested in what not just 'works', but works in a good way.

My current routine is: subway footlong, half at lunch, half for dinner. Fruits and veggies as snacks. Egg whites/Protein shake for breakfast. Soy Chips for when I need em'. Crystal Lite and water for fluids. Exercise 45-60min every other day. I am about to start jogging/running on the off days of exercise.

My exercise routine is a mix of small weight resistance ~15lbs for curls and the whole bit. Sit ups/Crunches/bicycle crunches/side crunches. Push ups/hybrid push ups (we called them TKD push ups in Tae Kwon Do) and lunges.

I have a 3 1/2 mo. old son, and want to establish a healthy lifestyle now, so when he starts to notice things like that (won't be for quite some time I know) I'll be a good role model. I'm also sick of eating fast food, drinking pop and feeling sluggish. I'll admit, it was hard giving up pop. Not to mention when I get fruit for dinner (my dinner is around 1 am) from the cafeteria at the hospital, there is so much junk food; it's hard to resist. But I keep at it

Any tips/pointers/ideas to add to the mix? I'd love to go to a gym, but I have neither the time or money. Instead, I'm making it work at home. Feel free to add work out ideas, lifestyle additions/deletions, diet additions/mods/deletions that worked for you. Thanks!
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Atokadd's Avatar
    Thanks

Well ive got to say, youve got it down.
    The hardest part is to stay on schedule, and not to splurge.

However, as much as it seems a lie, you can still eat food that youd have to usually limit yourself on.
    About a year ago, I started to do what youve done. I have a few friends who are vegetarians, but I am BY NO MEANS. A vegetarian, I love meat. Well, Try Turkey burgers, and turkey dogs. NOT SOY, TURKEY. In turkey burgers and dogs, they only have 40 calories, NO FAT OF ANY KIND, and very little sodium, as well as carbs.
    They suprisingly taste the same however. So, dont bash em till you try em! Like I did. Now I really like them.
    Now for the buns, eat wheat. Ive gotten used to it, and I like it.

You should also substitute in wheat bread for your subways sandwiches. That will cut down a tremendous amount of stuff, but the taste is reletivaly the same, infact, now I perfer the taste of wheat over whole.

But another thing, Run. Running is the sure way to kill pure fat. Sure, weights help, and they also help bring out the muscles under that fat, but run. I run at least two miles a day. That will do more than ALOT of things.

But another than that, youve got it all down.
    Good luck.
    HAVE I HELPED YOU? Thank me!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atokadd For This Useful Post:

Imahottguy (2008-07-31)

Sweet, I already use wheat bread, just personal preference, good to know that it helps . I've heard that running is key too. The turkey idea sounds good. I've even seen chicken burger in poultry section at the grocer. Thanks for the input! I'm one week into this diet/exercise program, and I feel good this far.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Thanks

stay green is the healthy way

Obviously you are on a good path.

Here's a couple of things that've helped me lose 15+ pounds in the past 2 months (same reason, for my kids!).

Swimming a lot (I hate jogging). I take the kids (have a 4 year old and a 5 year old, 13 months apart-highly recommend you don't do that!).

Tracking your intake/exercise. One of the best that I found was CalorieKing - Diet and weight loss. Calorie Counter and more.. I use their software for Mac (it's the best out there, especially for the Mac). I don't bother with the forums, I'd rather be hanging out with Iphone modders . One thing that is really cool with their software. If you track both your exercise/calorie intake, and do the daily 'weigh in', the software will tell you how many calories you have left dynamically as you put your food intake into the system. Huge food database too. Software for both PC and Mac. No affiliation. Just a happy loser!
    Last edited by hartphoto; 2008-07-31 at 04:54 PM. Reason: clarification

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Thanks

Best thing I can suggest is to mix it up. Eating subway everyday will eventually get old, and it will make it easier to 'cheat' . So Mix up your meal choices, keeping variety will keep you from missing something, and reward yourself occasionally with something you really love. i.e. pop

I noticed you're doing push ups. Part of my working out routine is this:
    one hundred push ups

I started a couple of weeks ago and I've been able to keep up with the numbers. But yeah, you seem to have it down, if anything I'd say eat some more. I also eat a lot of Subway but I get a footlong for lunch then a small dinner at night (I'm not looking to lose weight though).

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

what are your stats? weight? height? age? goals?

just lose fat? gain muscle? endurance? strenght?

this is one of my favorite subjects to talk about.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Right, what I do is... I gym 5 times a day, weight training.

Mon - Chest/Arms
    Tues - Legs
    Wed Abs/Chest
    Thurs - Cardio
    Fri Arms/Abs

I try and limit my gym time to an hour... anything over an hour and a half is pretty much useless as your body will start breaking down your muscles and you will be undoing everything you have done.

You gotta eat regularly, LITTLE CARBS! HIGH protein. An an occasional cheat meal (Mcd's) like once a month.

You will be in shape no time if you do this.
    Last edited by Taniban; 2008-07-31 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

^^^^ DUDE!!! where is the back day? you just only training your mirror muscles?

as for me, i change up my routine about once every 4 weeks, just to keep my muscles from getting used to the routine

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kadinh View Post
    ^^^^ DUDE!!! where is the back day? you just only training your mirror muscles?

as for me, i change up my routine about once every 4 weeks, just to keep my muscles from getting used to the routine
    WOOPS I forgotten to add the back! lol. Back is on thurs! lol. I only do 20 mins of cardio as I dont really wanna build up on stamina, I wanna bulk up.

You seem to know your stuff kadinh
    Last edited by Taniban; 2008-07-31 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks

I usually go to the GYM... I dont wanan get all buff just "Tone" as they call it.

And drinks lots of water! Thats pretty much all i drink.. Kinda "addicted" to it lol
    EDM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    WOOPS I forgotten to add the back! lol. Back is on thurs! lol. I only do 20 mins of cardio as I dont really wanna build up on stamina, I wanna bulk up.

You seem to know your stuff kadinh
    ive been doing it almost 3 years seriously, and i research and read every article i can find about nutrition and fitness. in the future, id like to get my personal trainer cert from the cooper institute. just the money issue right now.

Quote Originally Posted by kadinh View Post
    what are your stats? weight? height? age? goals?

just lose fat? gain muscle? endurance? strenght?

this is one of my favorite subjects to talk about.
    Stats:

175lbs, 5'11", will be 21 in november, My goals are to lose the gut, and get in shape. I don't necessarily need to bulk up, though I would not mind some definition. I think that eventually, I'd like to build up my endurance and strength, but for starters drop the gut, retone the body is what I'm looking for.

At my job, I am constantly moving- sometimes running. Quite a few of the things that I get are a matter of life or death, so I have to move quickly.

Thanks

NO beer Belly i hope

And damn youre young with a kid, cant even drink yet!
    EDM

dam I'm 12 and I have diabetes so now I need a diet so I think this is a good forum

Weight: 67 LBS
    Height: 4 feet :P

I love subway and sonetimes it's hard TO STAY OB SCHEDUELE and listen to your doctor while your brothers and sisters are there eating hamburgers and pepsi i'm havig water and salad
    I don't another sugar problem and diabete attack (or whatever u call them)
    And having diabetes sucks and getting insulin shots and blood monitored sucks and this happened cause I wasn't healthy so this is what happend...
    SO STAY HEALTHY

Thanks

Damn sucks man I think youre alittle skinny for you age.

And theres nothing wrong with Salad OR water
    EDM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Stats:

175lbs, 5'11", will be 21 in november, My goals are to lose the gut, and get in shape. I don't necessarily need to bulk up, though I would not mind some definition. I think that eventually, I'd like to build up my endurance and strength, but for starters drop the gut, retone the body is what I'm looking for.

At my job, I am constantly moving- sometimes running. Quite a few of the things that I get are a matter of life or death, so I have to move quickly.
    im a little bit older than you, but other than that we are almost the same when put on paper. but really weight doesnt matter.

175lbs of muscle = 175lbs of fat (for a lack of a better comparison)
    175 w/ 20% body fat =/= 175 w/ 6% BF (see where im going?)

so dont worry too much about the weight. look to the mirror more and even BF calculations.

as to (as much as i hate the word) "tone" and lose the belly, there are 2 ways ou can go: lose fat 1st, or gain muscle (which raises your metabolism). i suggest, as you stated, losing the fat 1st.

the best way i have seen to do this is HIIT (high intensity intraval training) and steady state cardio. the steady state is pretty self explanitory (running at the same speed for the whole duration fo time). for the HITT, you can use a machine or sprint. you go about 60-70% your max (essentially jogging) for about 30-45 seconds, then go 80-90% of your max for 30-45 seconds. repeat this for about 15-20 minutes and you are DONE!

HIIT has been shown to increase fat oxidation for up to 6-8 hours (if i remember right). steady state cardio, studies show, stops burning fat a little while after you stop. but a mix of both is helpful to balance things out.

as for building muscle, that is a whole different story....

PS i hope i didnt bore you with all my typing.

yeah but still sometimes I WANT MCDONALDSSSS AN BURGER KIBG

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by minivinny95 View Post
    yeah but still sometimes I WANT MCDONALDSSSS AN BURGER KIBG
    Nah dude that stuff is BAD for you i havent eattin Mc Donalds in over 2 years
    EDM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast