Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac Noob

Default Mac Noob
    So I know a lot of you use mac computers but have you always used them or have you switched once upon a time? I was wondering b/c I am considering the switch from Pc to a Mac. I think it was those commercials that did it for me...
    Anyways, I was looking at one of the new macbook pro 15.4'' and either 2.4 or 2.5 processor w/200 or 250gb HD. What are some specs that I should try or try not to get on the laptop? Or does it matter? Also, any software to add besides what comes with it? I know it depends on what kind of things that I plan to use it for like editing/creating music or movies. I am not familiar with some of the mac software so I was wondering if it was beneficial to get it all now when I purchased or buy it later. Thanks for any input. I hope to have one soon and join the Mac community.....also so I can JB sooner!!

welcome to the mac world, I just got a macbook and couldnt be more impressed, security is exceptional, hardware is great. As far as getting a laptop, the mbp is a great computer to get, it really doesn't matter about specs, just depends on how you plan to use it. osx software comes with pretty much everything you would want, and a plus with mac is the software is much cheaper than windows stuff

Thanks

Macs Pwn Hands Down!
    Any Mac will destroy your Windows machine in terms of performance
    iPhone 4, Yellow Custom Glass, 32GB, 4.3.3, non-working home button. And a prototype iPhone 4 White.
    Main Computer:MacBook Unibody Plastic, 2.26GHZ, 4GB RAM, 250x2GB, Red glowing Apple.
    Water Damaged iPhone? Don't throw it away; iPhone Motherboard washing tutorial!!! (PM me I will do it for you)

Hey thanks Marsman478 and Preston03 for your reply. I have heard that it will kill windoze on performance and just about everything else. Also, does anyone know about the refurbished macs? Are they still good or stay away from them? Any accessories that anybody would recommend getting? Thx. I am splurging while my wife lets me, so I am taking it to the bank!!!

Thanks

The Refurbished Macs are pretty much like new Apple has rigourous standards for fixing them
    ENJOY MAC!
    once you go to mac you NEVER go BACK!!!
    iPhone 4, Yellow Custom Glass, 32GB, 4.3.3, non-working home button. And a prototype iPhone 4 White.
    Main Computer:MacBook Unibody Plastic, 2.26GHZ, 4GB RAM, 250x2GB, Red glowing Apple.
    Water Damaged iPhone? Don't throw it away; iPhone Motherboard washing tutorial!!! (PM me I will do it for you)

Welcome to the MAC family

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mroof1 View Post
    Hey thanks Marsman478 and Preston03 for your reply. I have heard that it will kill windoze on performance and just about everything else. Also, does anyone know about the refurbished macs? Are they still good or stay away from them? Any accessories that anybody would recommend getting? Thx. I am splurging while my wife lets me, so I am taking it to the bank!!!
    i got a refurbished macbook, and it looked and felt brand-new when i got it
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Thanks. I cant wait to get it.
    Would you go with the macbook or macbook pro? I can see the differences in the specs but was wondering if the screen size or any of the other specs are that noticeable. I know the price is of course.
    Also, another quick question. As I was researching macs, prices and features, I came across the Axiotron Modbook. Does anyone know anything about this tablet, have one or any use with one? I have looked at some Tablet Pcs and the Macbook but couldnt decide. What would be the benefit to getting this Modbook or a Macbook? I will be a student this coming fall and thought one pro for the Modbook was to be able to write notes but I dont know how easy it is to do that. So I dont know if that pro makes that much of a difference to get one over the more versatile and better Macbook Pro. Any comments or knowledge from use greatly appreciated!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You'll be glad you switched. As far as a macbook or a macbook pro, really depends on what you are going to do. I have both and edited a video on both (both 2.4 with 4gb ram) and noticed the pro to be slightly better. Main difference being the screen size. The pro has better resolution too.
    Don't forget the Thanks if I helped

Thanks

All Apple computers including the laptops also comes with iLife, which takes care of your iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie and something else. But I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem finding other Mac software here and there on the Internet.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

I for one have no Experience with the modbook but I hear it is VERY expensive, it looks nice though! I would really recommend the regular macbook and if you are not satisfied with it you can go send it in so that they can change it into a mod book lol
    GOOD LUCK
    WELCOME!

First off, welcome to the Mac world. I've had both Macs and PCs for well over 10+ years now....but always prefer the Mac OS.

I recently switched to a MacBook Pro from the tower machines/iMacs. Lovin' it. Pretty much the same experience except for not having quite the 'internal' expansion capability. One of the nicest things is being able to run two monitors (one on the MBP, one external).

Also, if it helps with the $, buy refurb, or slightly used. I ended up with a 8 month old MBP, still with 3 years Apple Care, for $1000 less than new. Was from a college student looking to upgrade to a desktop system for video/music editing after he got his Masters.

And, as for info/apps out there available on the Mac, here's one of my other posts:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/chit-ch...ml#post1349001

HTH.

Thanks so far for everyones replies, opinions and suggestions.
    Here is my research so far and dilemma:
    From Mac Mall:
    1. Hp Officejet printer(free), VMware-fusion(19.95), everki backpack(free), Microsoft office 2008 student(114.98), Roxio - Toast 9 (59.98)
    2. Two laptop choices:
    a. Macbook Pro 15.4", 2.5ghz, 2gb ddr2, 250gb HD, Nvidia 512MB and the other specs that are normal (Rebate Price = $2314.99)
    b. Macbook Pro 15.4", 2.4ghz, 4gb ddr2, 200gb HD, Nvidia 256MB and the other specs that are normal (Rebate Price = $1929.99)
    Total Price for 2a = $2509.90
    Total Price for 2b = $2124.90
    ==========================
    From Apple Store:
    1. Student discount iPod Touch $299 but after rebates $0.00
    2. Microsoft Office 2008 Student
    3. Two Laptop choices:
    a. refurbished MBP 15.4", 2.4ghz, 2gb ddr2, 200gb HD, Nvidia 256 and the other normal specs ($1699)
    b. new MBP 15.4", 2.5ghz, 4gb ddr2, 250gb HD, Nvidia 512 and the other normal specs. ($2479)
    Total Price for 3a = $2425.57
    Total Price for 3b = $3205.57

Sorry for the long post I just wanted to give all my details to help with my decision. A couple of questions for anybody with the experience of this: is there much or a noticeable difference in Nvidia graphics 256MB or 512MB memory? Do you see much of a lag? Also, I want to get it now if so, because its harder to upgrade. As you can see the main differences are in the processor (2.4 or 2.5), HD(200 or 250), memory(2 or 4) and Nvidia (256 or 512). Thanks for your help!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

If you have to ask if you want a macbook pro, then you do not need it. these are serious machines for people who need them. Any macbook will do for most people, pro's are for......... pro's. If you work in the graphics field you can use the boost they offer.

I have a 2.4 2gb MB and it works just fine, no lag, like one said if you dont need the pro dont get it, a macbook will do fine if your just looking for a reliable laptop

Thanks everyone for your comments and replies. I appreciate it. I am going to go with the Macbook Pro. I think that it will handle everything that I need to do and more. I cant wait. I just have to find the best price now!!

Welcome to the Mac world, go for a Mac Pro, very costly but you can upgrade it to your needs.
    If I could help you with my answer give me a

Just my two cents, if anyone wants to purchase a new Mac, unless you want to view the internet, play music, emails, word processing, then get the Macbook Air. If you want to get deeper into Mac computing, STAY AWAY.

The only thing I may want from a Macbook Air is the SSD, other than that, it was a novelty item. It's a huge hassle, especially having to carry the external drive even if it is small and thin. Processing power is no where near my MBP. However it's a great conversation start and it makes a good first impression if you meet clients/

Quote Originally Posted by AotW View Post
    Welcome to the Mac world, go for a Mac Pro, very costly but you can upgrade it to your needs.
    That is definitely my next purchase, however I have not made my decision about purchasing the Cinema display, or use my existing LCD.
    Last edited by weezyhuy; 2008-07-25 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

As many pointed out already the OSX comes with most of what you need, iLife as was mentioned also included iWeb for creating web sites, (I use this for my work sites) and also garage band which can be used for several things like working on music as you mentioned. iMovie is great i do some video editing in mine, but if you are hardcore into video editing then you will need to buy final studio or final cut i cant remember. aperture is great for doing photo touch up but if you are not heavy into that then iPhoto will work good for you. I also recommend downloading handbreak this will create videos from dvd's so you can play them on your iphone or touch..... or any iPod. (errr ummmm I mean digitally back them up for your files!) I have read mixed things about the tablet I was considering one but I decided against it. I also recommend a One-to-One member ship this is 52 one hour lessons with a mac trainer (that is of course if you have an apple store near you.) these are really great and will help you get the most out of their mac. the Apple site also has video sessions you can download and learn from those are pretty helpful as well.

One thing I see alot of in people who switch (me included at first) is that they work on the MAC the same as they do a PC which is hard to explain but just remember it is NOT a PC and the way to get the most out of it is to really change the way you use it. I switched about 4 or 5 years ago and now I have no regrets at first I was like yeah ok this is cool but it is another computer, once I really learned how to use it though well I now have several and have not looked back since! In fact i have gone completely away from Microsoft products all together I use iWork ($80 compared to $150 office student) I know some people dont like iWork but it does everything i need it to and then some! I do a lot of presentations and I use keynote exclusively IN fact when I need to I just export to word or powerpoint and then send the file to others but I create everything in iWork and i have had ZERO compatibility issues.

Also consider a mobile me account if you use your iphone or iweb you can link them all together for a really great experience. plus there is the "push" (ish) email and calendar and contacts that go with that.

Ohh and "One More Thing" Welcome to the MAC Family

[QUOTE=weezyhuy;1621161]Just my two cents, if anyone wants to purchase a new Mac, unless you want to view the internet, play music, emails, word processing, then get the Macbook Air. If you want to get deeper into Mac computing, STAY AWAY.

The only thing I may want from a Macbook Air is the SSD, other than that, it was a novelty item. It's a huge hassle, especially having to carry the external drive even if it is small and thin. Processing power is no where near my MBP. However it's a great conversation start and it makes a good first impression if you meet clients/

I use a MacBook Air and yes it is not as powerful as my MB but I really do like it, infact i use it for all of my work (except video stuff i use my MB for that) but I just created a photo and video intense presentation AND presented it using my Air and it worked flawlessly. It does hang every now and then but only if I have a ton of stuff open. I travel A LOT so the size and weight help in that respect as well.
    anyhow they are not that bad I am pretty happy with mine.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 2008-07-25 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I use a MacBook Air and yes it is not as powerful as my MB but I really do like it, infact i use it for all of my work (except video stuff i use my MB for that) but I just created a photo and video intense presentation AND presented it using my Air and it worked flawlessly. It does hang every now and then but only if I have a ton of stuff open. I travel A LOT so the size and weight help in that respect as well.
    anyhow they are not that bad I am pretty happy with mine.
    Yes, I use it to meet with clients, simply because of the size. It does fit anywhere. Agreed, it's good for word processing and keynotes. I am not an IT at my company, but I like to run my own home servers for certain things. I felt a terrible lag with VNC and Remote Desktop applications.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast