Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wow, new apps are gonna get pricy

Banned
    Thanks

Default Wow, new apps are gonna get pricy
    Is it just me, or is every other app released lately cost 20 or 30 bucks? And they're apps that apple should of included in the iphone to begin with. 2 simple examples: the new video recorder app and camera pro. You can get free phones with these features included but we have to spend 400 bucks on a iphone then another 20 bucks for these redudent apps. I now have a more reliable windows mobile phone with a lot less features. What is going on?

Well, the people who take the time to make these apps are wasting THEIR time to do so. And sharing it with the community is up to them, also if they want to charge users.

It is apples fault they didnt include the features, but, there are alternatives, that just cost money =]

This is for any app actually... The people who spend all of their time making them, then all the extra time they spend to add updates and new features. It is a hefty job..

They also probably have a job, a life, maybe a wife and some kids.. who knows.. but some are even so generous that they dont even charge you for the time they spend on these apps.

Just my 2 cents..
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Sidetalker's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it just me, or is every other app released lately cost 20 or 30 bucks? And they're apps that apple should of included in the iphone to begin with. 2 simple examples: the new video recorder app and camera pro. You can get free phones with these features included but we have to spend 400 bucks on a iphone then another 20 bucks for these redudent apps. I now have a more reliable windows mobile phone with a lot less features. What is going on?
    its disgusting. but dont worry the apps arent worth it for what they are so nobody is going to buy them so theyre gonna flop

i hope

what trent says is true as well...
    Last edited by Sidetalker; 2008-01-06 at 04:06 AM.
    For Help
    Private Message, Email, or AIM
    (My response time might be a little long)

GUIDES:
    Expect more when I find something guide-worthy.
    PM me and let me know if you need one.

Banned
    Thanks

To both posts yes the apps pretty much do suck right now, but I do understand the time they put in to it. But charging 20 or 30 bucks a pop? come on, thats just robbery. If I wanted to get fu**ed price wise I would of stayed with my treo. I'm married, got a kid, and work 60 hours a week, but I got plenty of time to do stuff I enjoy, Like play with my iPhone. Why charge for it? If they wanted a dollar or two cool, You need to realize how many people have iPhones and that install this stuff. At a dollar a peice they'd still make thousands.

Wait the video recorder app by drunkenbass is going to cost money?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajl917 View Post
    Wait the video recorder app by drunkenbass is going to cost money?
    No, the showtime videorecorder app. The drunkenbass app is garbage!

It does seem a bit pricy... not that I don't support app devs but still...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macdesign13 View Post
    It does seem a bit pricy... not that I don't support app devs but still...
    Trust me, I'm all about donating to good apps but damn. Just cause you tweak a little and add a little, You're going to request these prices? get real. I for 1 will not pay it, and as soon as you guys do everyone will request money for apps. Tell'em to go fu** they selves, It ain't worth it. A couple bucks is repsectable but 20 or 30 bucks? I'd rather smoke crack!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Sidetalker's Avatar
    Thanks

rather smoke crack lol...
    For Help
    Private Message, Email, or AIM
    (My response time might be a little long)

GUIDES:
    Expect more when I find something guide-worthy.
    PM me and let me know if you need one.

Quote Originally Posted by jarthurs1981 View Post
    No, the showtime videorecorder app. The drunkenbass app is garbage!
    well i bet the drunknbass app will stay free and will eventually upstage the showtime app come january 15th....

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chevyridah2007 View Post
    well i bet the drunknbass app will stay free and will eventually upstage the showtime app come january 15th....
    Well last time I installed it, it didn't do shi* but take up space. I'd rather not install either. I ****** app or an overpriced app? Sorry hit the road losers!
    Last edited by jarthurs1981; 2008-01-06 at 05:56 AM.

I don't know why people would pay for beta software. There's very, very few 3rd party apps that have reached a stable, release non-beta state, those should have a $20-30 tag on them.

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jarthurs1981 View Post
    we have to spend 400 bucks on a iphone then another 20 bucks for these redudent apps
    I spent $3k on a laptop, and pay quite a bit more than that for apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    I don't know why people would pay for beta software. There's very, very few 3rd party apps that have reached a stable, release non-beta state, those should have a $20-30 tag on them.
    THIS is the real issue.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

the to-be-released drunknbass video recorder is going to be 10x better than this "ShowTime". Plus its going to be FREE, but if u want to give a donation there isnt going to be a small url linking to a website on the bottom right hand corner. also the Drunknbass video recorder is going to have PHOTOBOOTH effects!!! and a way higher FPS (Frames-per-second) than "Showtime", which means its not gonna lag at all. Guys please instead of buying the "showtime" just donate to the DrunknBass company to help them make this great product even better! Visit monsterandfriends.com to learn more... and check out this article.

ATTENTION!
    Submitted by drunknbass on January 5, 2008 - 4:21pm.
    ATTENTION!
    LDUNCAN AKA POLERBEARFARM IS NO LONGER PART OF THIS SITE, THIS TEAM, OR ANYTHING AFFILIATED. HE BACKSTABBED US ALL AND STOLE OUR HARD WORK OUT FROM UNDER US, WE DONT SUPPORT SOFTWARE THEIFS AND WE WANT YOU ALL TO KNOW THAT THE VIDEO APP HE RELEASED WAS BASED OFF A PRIVATE POC WHICH I RELEASED 6 WEEKS AGO. THE CODE WAS PRIVATE AND DISCLOSED TO TEAM MEMEBERS ONLY

Forgive me, I'm still a n00b at this. Once we pay the $30 or whatever for the apps we want, and then we get 1.1.3 and we have to re-jailbreak our phones, will we have to re-pay for these apps? I really was disappointed with a lot of things that I couldn't do with the iphone after I got it home and much to my husband's chagrin, I'm gonna get it the way I want it.
    ----------------
    One Hot Mama to Christopher and Wesley.
    One Hot Wife to Richard.
    One Huge Legend in my own mind.

Default ayyayyay
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidetalker View Post
    its disgusting..
    Yeah, and its even more disgusting when other people try to STEAL the donations *cough**cough* CONCEITED SOFTWARE. And now add Polar Bear Farms to the list with their half assed "ShowTime" program which they stole the core code from someone else to do it!

I seriously support donating to the people who are adding such a rich, new dimension to the iphone...in fact I doubt I would have kept it without this great community. Do you randomly click on the Google ads on the MMI website, just so they get that extra kickback? When it comes down it, I look at the apps that maybe should have been included out of the box and ask myself if I want to wait for Apple to do it or am I going to utilize the app AND support the person/people who developed it. You don't have to use CameraPro. In fact, I'd bet the farm that Apple does a one up on that App in a future firmware release. I just tried it, but didn't buy it. I uninstalled it.

Lets remember to give credit where its due: to the people writing the code. Most of the time they only want a donation. Other times they dont even have a donation system set up (like iRadio). They offer you the option, if you feel so moved, to buy a license for software which is the core of the iPhone app we love so much. But we do need to be ready for when the SDK is released and we're swamped with apps from people like TomTom (they've gotta be all over that GPS chip from Part Foundry) or even microsoft for all we know. We could be looking at 50-60 dollar apps. So lets compensate the people now so that if and when apple opens up this bad boy we're not gonna be sorry we didnt thank the people sooner (for a lower price).

To summarize: I dont use software from Conceited Software (they steal donations from the writers of iRadio - subband.com). I would not recommend donating to PBF with this rediculous nonsense about them stealing the video app we've all been patiently till January 15th for Monsterandfriends to release.

I Encourage anyone with a license key for ShowTime to release it to the public in some way. Not here, but somehow. It seems the only way to reverse the damage that might be done there (although Monsterandfriends is surely going to have a much better app coming). PBF can make their money off donations for Search -- which is useless anyways because you can tell the iPhone how to sort your contacts, and indvidually select letters of the alphabet with your fingertip on the right scroll bar. Come up with a useful, ORIGINAL application and I will donate. People should donate to people like Nullriver, for pretty much opening up the whole platform for us. Then pick your favorite apps. If there's no obvious way to donate, email the person who takes credit for writing the program and ask him/her. I personally saved at least 30 dollars when the real guitar tuner program came out, I don't think its unreasonable for me to donate at least half of that to the person who wrote such a great program (just as an example).

To the people writing the apps, games, utilities, and add ons. I want you to know how much all of your work is appreciated. I hope that the community will also put their money where my mouth is so to speak and support the hard work you do.

I hope that you will set the bar for when this SDK is released. If this community remains strong and can thrive on donations (or a reasonable charge for quality software), then maybe we wont have to pay TomTom $400 for a version of their software that runs on the iPhone. And don't forget all of the security threats that have been in the news as well, as patches and updates that surpass those of what Apple is giving us are well worth it and I appreciate all the work that has been done.

Somethin gotta be done about these malware threats too. Come on people why would you release a program that ruins everyones iPhones. That time could've been spent figuring out how to enable A2DP for bluetooth or something =p

</rambling>
    Last edited by milsapm; 2008-01-10 at 06:40 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to milsapm For This Useful Post:

iBlade (2008-01-10)