Results 1 to 16 of 16

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: New Open-Source Web Browser For Mac

  1. #1
    Livin the iPhone Life Chase817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,459
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked 92 Times in 65 Posts

    Default New Open-Source Web Browser For Mac
    Hi guys! I am creating a new, open source web browser called BrowseFreely, and I need some people to help out and improve it.

    1. I'd like some more graphics, because it's pretty plain right now.
    2. More features. Its got some of the basic features for now, but I need help adding more.

    Your help is really appreciated. Here is the Google Code project: BrowseFreely - Google Code Project

    Thanks

    Last edited by Chase817; 2008-07-16 at 01:17 AM.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Kitsune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    33.57, -86.75
    Posts
    262
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts

    Nothing wrong with a minimalist approach! I'd love a simple browser that surfed the web and nothing more. Firefox gets bloated after long periods of time.

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life Chase817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,459
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked 92 Times in 65 Posts

    thanks, that was the look i was going for, but i just want it to have a few more basic features, get the bugs worked out and get more eye candy
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

  4. #4
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Not to put a damper on your efforts, but why take on a web browser? You're up against steep competition.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  5. #5
    Livin the iPhone Life Chase817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,459
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked 92 Times in 65 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Not to put a damper on your efforts, but why take on a web browser? You're up against steep competition.
    lol, i'm not trying to compete. I'm just trying to make a simple open source web browser for the mac, that is easy to customize.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    So do you need help as in programming or as in suggestions?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  7. #7
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,302
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

    It's not that they can't make an easy and simple browser, it's that the security requirements to keep YOU safe are so hard to keep up with as new problems and issues arrive every day that the browsers tend to get pretty big and complicated.

    Personally I like a nice refined secure browser which takes a long time to perfect.

  8. #8
    Livin the iPhone Life Chase817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,459
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked 92 Times in 65 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    It's not that they can't make an easy and simple browser, it's that the security requirements to keep YOU safe are so hard to keep up with as new problems and issues arrive every day that the browsers tend to get pretty big and complicated.

    Personally I like a nice refined secure browser which takes a long time to perfect.
    I understand, but the engine in this browser is the exact webkit engine used in Safari, so this browser is theoretically as safe as Safari.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    So do you need help as in programming or as in suggestions?
    a little of both
    Last edited by Chase817; 2008-07-16 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

  9. #9
    a toolbar less function (like a fullscreen mode) where you can go to addresses with apple+L and other shortcuts,

  10. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life Chase817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,459
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked 92 Times in 65 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaas View Post
    a toolbar less function (like a fullscreen mode) where you can go to addresses with apple+L and other shortcuts,
    hmm... that's a good idea. if i can get some help coding-wise, then i could probably add that
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase817 View Post
    hmm... that's a good idea. if i can get some help coding-wise, then i could probably add that
    would like to help, but i dont have any experience with coding

  12. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life Aiyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    -heaven- San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 104 Times in 91 Posts

    this is cool. I messed with it myself and got a few more functions in.

    If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

  13. #13
    in safari with a macbookair or pro you can use 3 fingers to go forward and back, swipe left with 3 fingers=back and swipe right....

  14. #14
    Livin the iPhone Life Chase817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,459
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked 92 Times in 65 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaas View Post
    in safari with a macbookair or pro you can use 3 fingers to go forward and back, swipe left with 3 fingers=back and swipe right....
    i have a normal macbook, so I wouldn't know how to implement that

    Quote Originally Posted by Aiyo View Post
    this is cool. I messed with it myself and got a few more functions in.
    cool, what features did you add?
    Last edited by Chase817; 2008-07-17 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

  15. #15
    Livin the iPhone Life Aiyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    -heaven- San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 104 Times in 91 Posts

    i added a progress bar to show the page is loading, i fixed that stupid http:// thing, i also made a button that takes me straight to MMi.

    If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

  16. #16
    Livin the iPhone Life Chase817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,459
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked 92 Times in 65 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Aiyo View Post
    i added a progress bar to show the page is loading, i fixed that stupid http:// thing, i also made a button that takes me straight to MMi.
    would you mind uploading it?
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •