Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rogers, and my Email to Steve

Default Rogers, and my Email to Steve
    Below is an email I sent to Steve Jobs yesterday. I don't really expect anything to come from it, but I was outraged, and it needed to be done. Basically, and I'm not the only one, Rogers is screwing people over with their untrained employees.

Source: My email to Steve Jobs.:

Mr. Jobs,

First off, let me mention that I in no way blame Apple for my outrage, but since Apple [according to the rumors] is at ‘war’ with Rogers, I figure I’d throw more fuel in the fire.

I have been an avid and loyal Apple user for many years. So much so that I have been using the iPhone since it’s original release, despite the fact that it wasn’t available in Canada. My business would not be where it is without my Mac and iPhone.

Regardless, when I heard that the iPhone was finally coming to Canada, I was thrilled! I had every intension of lining up like the ‘Fanboy’ that I am to be one of the first to get my hands on one. That was until the pricing came out. Even after the addition of the $30/6GB data plan, I was not ready to give my soul up to Rogers for 3 years. It just wasn’t going to happen. Still, that is not why I’m outraged.

Seeing that I had an original iPhone, I went down to a Rogers store and spoke to an onsite manager who claimed he was well trained on the iPhone. I specifically asked him if, because the iPhone was now supported by Rogers, I would be able to upgrade to firmware 2.0 and use my original iPhone with my current Rogers plan. In his words “Yes, you can now safely upgrade to the new firmware”. To be sure, I explained my situation in further detail. (Bought in the States, previously unlocked). He repeated his answer. I’m sure you know what came next. I now have an inoperable iPhone.

Upon speaking with many Rogers ‘customer service reps’ as well as supervisors, I have gotten no answers and no sympathy for my situation. I could understand if I went ahead and upgraded without thinking or consulting with someone, but the fact that a ‘trained’ employee specifically gave me the go ahead to upgrade, ticks me off.

On a side note, I spoke to several people at the Apple stores near me and they were wonderful! They helped me in any way they could. Again, my problem is not with Apple, and it would have to be dealt with Rogers.

I know that Apple does not condone the unlocking of iPhones, but try to see past that and look at the way Rogers has treated potential iPhone customers.

I thank you for your time and please continue to move Apple in the direction it is going.

All the best,

Howard Pinsky
    Iceflow Studios
    http://www.tutcast.com/

iPhone? More like MyPhone dykzebr's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol...I love this...

"I know that Apple does not condone the unlocking of iPhones, but try to see past that and look at the way Rogers has treated potential iPhone customers."

Good work, nothing will come of it...btw who is Steve Jobs?
    Extremly Happy Verizon iPhone User...

iPhone 4 32gb CDMA JailBROKE!

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

I sympathize and agree with you, but honestly its Steve's firmware that relocked your phone, not Rogers. Yes, they were misinformed, but they honestly might not have known that putting the new firmware on would relock the phone.

I can understand them having a 'well if its working now it will work after the upgrade' attitude since their company didn't deal with that version of the iphone.

Its sort of catch 22, I know you emailed Apple, but again, its them relocking the phones, and you can't really complain to Rogers about not giving you the correct info on a hacked phone.

What I do hope comes out if it for you is the 2.0 unlock comes out soon, unless you have downgraded
    Last edited by PhoneLine; 2008-07-14 at 07:49 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bleeditout2130's Avatar
    Thanks

Your website is kickass.

Thanks

No sympathy here. Rogers are indeed fully trained on the iPhone 3G, and to be blunt, that is all they are required to be trained on. If you ask them a question that is out of this scope, they're talking out their butt, and you shouldn't have listened to them.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dykzebr View Post
    Lol...I love this...

"I know that Apple does not condone the unlocking of iPhones, but try to see past that and look at the way Rogers has treated potential iPhone customers."

Good work, nothing will come of it...btw who is Steve Jobs?
    Steve Jobs is the CEO of Apple...

/SLAP HARD, Welcome to the internet
    EDM

Why wouldnt you have just asked on here first?

Thanks

let me get this straight.

you bought an iphone from abroad, unlocked it and used it with your current tariff. you then asked a rogers employee around the new 3g launch time whether you can upgrade your unlocked iphone (that they nor apple are liable for) to the new 2.0 firmware and still use your current, non-iphone cheaper contract.

Neither rogers nor apple are liable for your bricked phone.

for a minute i thought you where just complaining about canadian prices, which i can sympathise with.

i had an unlocked 1st gen iphone before upgrading to a legitimate contract for the 3g, and not once would i EVER have dreamt of upgrading to a new firmware without checking this website + many others to confirm its safe. That would be stupid.

People here on MMi have more knowledge than probably every rogers employee in canada put together.

If you unlocked your iphone in the first place you should know the score.

No sympathy here.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Do your own research first. I don't sympathize either.

Thanks

Ah give him a break we have ALL made our mistakes.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

Thanks

I dunno. How do people manage to make 62 posts, yet don't seem to be able to read?
    To live, you have to lie

iPhone? More like MyPhone Rounder's Avatar
    Thanks

I can appreciate the initiative you took to send that email out. But you should have known better than to ask Rogers Employees about the 1st GEN iPhone. They have no previous training whatsoever other than the 3G (which I still think they don't know much about)

Your phone is not bricked, see a few posts above this one and find your answer to downgrade to 1.1.4 again and have an operational phone.

I honestly thought that this was a letter of complaint about pricing which I am totally for because Rogers is screwing us over big time with their plans. With a decent voice plan and data you'll be paying around $100 per month. To some that may not seem like much, but that's almost $1500 a year for 3 years to get the iPhone. I still have the 1st GEN iPhone in Ontario, and was thinking of switching to the 16GB 3G... but I don't really see the benefit for me. These plans that Rogers put out are NOT priced logically. They will continue doing what they do best and that's screw people over.

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

and even still most of those employes have no info on unlocking and jailbreaking. Plz i can talk circles around mostt att employes on any phone, just give me the internet for 10mins and im set.. Yes i agree you should have asked here b4 jumping into a new firmware. sorry for ur loss . But do research next time
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Thanks

I didnt read your *Extreamly long essay*

But i dide read the comments and it seems you got lolPWNED
    EDM

Green Apple
    Thanks

nice

Thanks

lol @ zeal, britney spears of MMi, so so true lol
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

this is one of the most stupid thing i have read. you use an illegal unlocked iphone and then blame Rogers and Apple for your inherent stupidity of upgrading the firmware. before upgrading to any newer version u have to do a lot of research and read up various materials on it. And you wud not have found anything better than MMi for that. Ur mistake....u deserved it.

Is it just me or is the muppet population really on a rise on this site?

lol, ******* dumbass. got owned.

oh yeah, no sympathy here either.