Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My "child" drowned but came back alive

Default My "child" drowned but came back alive
    I was at my summer cottage last saturday with my dad and brothers. I grabed two water bins for getting water from the lake to sauna. And right when I reach the water with those bins reserving my both hands, iPhone slips from my chest pocket to the lake. I panic, throw those bins to shore and dive in. Water is so dirty that I can't see anything and the bottom is softly muddy without hard surface, so I feel kinda hopeless as I search. I take my jacket off and continue. Seconds go. Minutes elapse. Finally, after about 4 minutes, I find it! Screen is on and looks happy and fine. I know it's not fine and run back to house and set up fire to a fireplace. Screen starts getting white and I can see water spreading under the glass. Eventually, blackout. No pulse. Dead.

I send a text message to my fiancé about the incident from my brothers Nokia. Later while we are eating, she calls me back. She almost weeps while saying how sorry she is for my loss. I'm thinking that after waiting the piece for the whole 2007, finally getting it here in Finland, all the hacking and cracking struggles and keeping it always safe from dropping on the floor, this is so bad luck. She makes more noise about the case that I make and my dad and brothers see the situation a bit funny. After the phone call my other brother says: "Sounds like a child has drowned..". Not a child but a very special thing, that you cannot just rebuy and get back to the previous stage. No, with iPhone I have had real moments of joy and excitement. I've admired the software design and seen all kinds of new innovations throw Installer. Now all is gone and it's a big step back to my old Nokia.

Next day I return to home. I'm still trying to wake iPhone, but it seems pointless. Then, I connect the phone to my Mac. Screen flashes and white Apple logo appears. But right after that screen goes black again, and then Apple logo again, it loops the turning on sequence for a while. At first iTunes does not recognize anything, then iPhone stops looping and iTunes recognize iPhone in recovery mode. I download the new iNdepence and try to kick iPhone out of recovery mode. Nothing happends, screen stays black. I give it a few minutes and search eBay for used iPhones. After about 3 minutes, iPhone reveals the lock screen. I gently slide to open.. It's a miracle! Screen has a tiny cracky looking mark under the glass at upper left, but overall it works. Soon I realize that Home-button does not work. It also gives me again and again this report of an "accessory that is not designed to work natively with iPhone". After few hours, the report goes away. After more hours, the screen crack has disappeared. However, Home-button hasn't started working after a day. That may be the overall cost of this whole thing. I managed to find a plaster for that: I installed a Dock.app from Installer.

Next day, today, I sent a text message to my brothers and dad: "My child is alive and kicking!".

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

haha nice story, but try and download the HomeButton.app
    its a floating buttong of the homebutton thats above all other apps and when you tap it, it goes to the home button

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

nice story, and luck as all hell. Still dont know how it survived that long exposed to water. The battery should have shorted out

iPhone? More like MyPhone Atokadd's Avatar
    Thanks

A Miracle! I can hear the Church bells!
    ( lol, listen to us, I mean, I know its the best phone ever invented, but we are Acting like it IS a child, lol)

But seriously, lucky you.
    I can just imagine, the day they stop selling the iphones most of us have, and only the 3G( I have tmobile, so its worthless) its going to break. Dear god I hope not, this thing is like my Favorite possession( im 14, so yea).
    HAVE I HELPED YOU? Thank me!

iPhone? More like MyPhone my2AWDgst's Avatar
    Thanks

Man you are so lucky,if that was my iphone it be long gone by now.
    DSM fan
    ...16GB 3G Iphone...

Thanks

Damn.. LoL Thats just pure luck.. iPhone gods were looking over you
    EDM

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Damn man you got lucky as hell haha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Well, you are not out of the woods, but glad it came back alive. You need to get everything off of it important ASAP because Apple products have this way of working like nothing ever happened for a week or two, maybe a month, then dying out of nowhere.

People spill drinks on their MacBook keyboards and it turns off, then the next day it fires up, then a week later you see a thread "My MacBook worked fine for over a week, then died"

KelvinalF
    place your phone in uncooked rice and hope all the water drys up after a day

Thanks

Haha, you lucky bastard! And i think its funny how your wife almost cried over the phone.. Kinda weird to cry over something like that.

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd save myself the anguish and ebay for a new phone.
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Lucky, glad you got it working. I would be gutted if my iPhone were to drop. You really are lucky.

"Everybody has common sense, but most just don't use it, then you wonder why?" - Neo-Tech

Wow! You really did get lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomer View Post
    haha nice story, but try and download the HomeButton.app
    its a floating buttong of the homebutton thats above all other apps and when you tap it, it goes to the home button
    Could you tell me the source for Homebutton.app?

Thanks!

Its weird how some people get so lucky. I first iPhone dropped in the toilet (clean water) for maybe 20 seconds. I attempted to power it off but the screen flashes white and dies. (shorted) I try the rice i try natural sun heat i tried desicants. After a week i gave up and sold it for 300 bucks on ebay. Haha yea thats right 300 bucks. You could say im lucky too, but my iPhone wasnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Adplaya View Post
    Its weird how some people get so lucky. I first iPhone dropped in the toilet (clean water) for maybe 20 seconds. I attempted to power it off but the screen flashes white and dies. (shorted) I try the rice i try natural sun heat i tried desicants. After a week i gave up and sold it for 300 bucks on ebay. Haha yea thats right 300 bucks. You could say im lucky too, but my iPhone wasnt.
    Holy fudge !!! So you are that unethical moron who sold me a brick for 300 green ones? Not to mention an atrocious $50.99 for shipping
    Mods, can you ban him?

just kidding ...I apologize for calling you a unethical moron I would have done the same...no I would have sold it for 400....its not you fault if the buyer doesn't know wtf he\she is doing.

Accept my apologiez again

Hahah it cool man. And yea i wrote in the description that it doesnt work and its damaged doesnt power on etc etc. But i didnt write it had water damage - i know it was a little unethical. But what the hell would you do with a broken iPhone anyway? SO i look at it the way ajrulez does. It's his fualt.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Atokadd's Avatar
    Thanks

Its a Dog eat Dog world. Either Eat, or be Eaten.
    HAVE I HELPED YOU? Thank me!

iPhone? More like MyPhone navalynt's Avatar
    Thanks

How lucky are you ...

Whatever you do, don't let it bite you! If the word brains appears on the screen run, run for your life!

I had a similar accident. My wife wanted to listen to music in the bath.. brought her the phone. It rang while she was in the tub. She grabbed it with soapy hands and you can guess what happened.. SUBMERGED in the bathtub. It was flashing on and off all night. I took it to work the next day, opened it up and blew it out with an air gun.. Damned thing is working like new WOOHOOO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast