Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A Parent-son Conversation....

iPhone? More like MyPhone Atokadd's Avatar
    Thanks

Default A Parent-son Conversation....
    O.k, I am going to have my first macbook in about 3 weeks ( no later than july 13th ). PLEASE dont turn this into a Mav v.s. PC war, I LOVE MAC. WINDOWS RUNS ON OS X. OS X DOESNT RUN ON WINDOWS. MAC IS THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. GET OVER IT. But yea here is the delima: O.k., I was going to buy the 2.4GHz Refurbished macbook with 2GB memory, and 160GB hard drive, for the price of a brand new 2.2GHz Macbook with 1 GB memory and a 120GB hard drive. So I figured it as: DEAL. But here we go, as I talked about it with my mom and pop, they figured that it be better to buy it at the local best buy, because thats where weve bought all out past computers, and their service is really good ( for repairs and stuff ). But they dont have the 2.4 GHz Refurbished Macbook, only the new one, for 200$ more. Is their any way to buy the macbook online, than bring it to best buy, and set up a best buy warranty? Or any suggestions on the matter. My parents really dont care either way, but Id like to save 200$ AND get the Geek Squads good service. I suppose I just need Advice. Thanks in Advance Guys and Gals.
    HAVE I HELPED YOU? Thank me!

Thanks

Geek Squad is BAD, And they charge SOO much... I rather pay the extra 200$.. Because getting services from Geek Squad is gonna burn a hole in your pocket..
    EDM

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Don't use Geek Squad, use MMi. They shall help you out. /lol

"Everybody has common sense, but most just don't use it, then you wonder why?" - Neo-Tech

Buy the refurbished MacBook, and then buy the AppleCare protection. Use dealmac.com to search for daily deals (I just found MacBook 3 year coverage for $179).

Then, if you need service, go to an Apple Store.

I've bought AppleCare a couple of times over the years. Recently on a MacBook Pro, and once a long time ago on a Cube. I have 12 Macs currently, all still running, some over 10 years old. But, I've never had to use it. Things break after AppleCare expires (usually hard drives). And then, I always find a way to repair things myself. Have replaced several hard drives, and several power supplies. There's lots of Mac specific help sites, and eBay is great for parts.

I'd also recommend double bagging the MacBook. I use a laptop specific backpack (Ogio Metro), and also put the MacBook Pro in a sleeve (Booq). I've double bagged my laptops now for 20+ years, and (knock on wood) never had a failure due to dropping.

HTH.

Thanks

Get AppleCare, the geek squad has no clue what they are talking about in regular tech, let alone Macs.

Thanks

Well, when you have the Best buy warranty, Its all free, and they have repaired our computers for 10years now, and have done a good job. But yea, when traveling, ill defiantly double bag.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Like others said I wouldn't recommend Geek Squad I have heard some very bad things about them from people that have worked for Best Buy so yeah would definitely not trust them with my computer!

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

geek squad = dumbdumbs. google and lots of ppl here are a thousand times smarter, and they usualy help for free, cuz there o soo sweet. lol
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

I recommend just buying one from apples site in the refurb section then just getting a apple care plan. Geeksquad isnt actually that stupid but their head corporate office fears being sued for data loss etc so they really cant do anything besides doing something simple like installing ram or a graphics card.

Just wondering, are you buying it, or your parents?

Get AppleCare and a refurb. The nice thing about refurbs is that 99% of the time they are 9.9999999/10 for looks and run great, plus the discount Best buy is a pain in the arse when it comes to repairs and such.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Thanks

Im paying for the laptop, they are paying for the warranty.
    ( and its decided, im buy the two year apple plan )

I would have offered the same suggestion.

I am surprised anyone would consider a warranty based on Geek Squad. I have heard only very bad things about them and thankfully, have my dad to fix my computer so I can happily make fun of them knowing I have a much better alternative.

Thanks

Who are you going to trust more, Geek Squad or Apple's Genius Bar (the ones who make the computer)
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.