Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Time draws close for the BIG QUESTION of Mac vs PC

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Time draws close for the BIG QUESTION of Mac vs PC
    I'll be going to Cal Poly SLO next year to major in computer science. And soon I will be faced with one of the most difficult of choices. PC or Mac.

Considering my major and the fact that I'm a nerd I will be needing a high-end laptop. So I dont know whether I should get a Mac Book, XPS, or whatever else...

Macs = more expensive and reliable
    PC = much more inexpensive and their numbers claimed make them seem like they would perform much better (but that's usually not the case)

Your input is GREATLY appreciated!

the thing is.. you can run windows in vmware on mac great and fully functional. but the other way around isnt as equal. i have a built "hackintosh" system that spanks real macs and cost me @ 1700 and i have a 2 tb hardware raid setup for my boot os. if you didnt buy that you can build a good system for under 1 grand

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

It's ok you can close this thread, I will answer the question for you. Forget Mac vs PC, go Alienware or Linux. That way you don't get the "Holier than thou" of Macs and you don't get that "press ANY key to kill your computer" of Windows users
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

no offense but IMO macs are geared specifically twards idiots.

if you have to ask you need a mac

once again no offense but its true, they are the most user friendly and almost fool proof thing on earth

Thanks

User friendly, I was in an Apple Store the other day, tried loading CS3 on one and it crashed lol
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

Question shouldn't be mac vs pc. It should be osx vs windows since you can run osx on pc hardware now. And for 99% macs are better. Maybe not games but leopard is changing that. Also macs are getting so popular game makers will start targeting them soon. Osx is just such a better os. Its like night and day.

lol at asking mac vs pc on an iphone forum where many people are probly mac users.

if you want an unbiased opinion go to a non-windows/osx geared forum and/or go and try out both systems for yourself and make the decision on your own without fanboys from one side or the other telling you to do something without actually knowing you at all.

Thanks

At last a thread where I can flame (to a degree). I'm waiting for the first Mac Zealot to jump in. Not closing this thread at all

Thanks

lol, where's zeal!! Honestly, it depend on what you like. Try things out, if you dont like it return it. Vaios are good but expensive and come with Vista(which fails). Macs are good, but expensive. Alienware, mmmm gamer computer

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aiyo For This Useful Post:

Napoleon_PhoneApart (2008-06-22), ybahman (2008-06-25)

Macbook pro. You can buy a refurb one from apple for like 1699. Plus if you need to run any windows apps you can either use vmware or boot camp.

I really like my MBP - that is all

Thanks

hmmm all my experience with macs have been negative so I am biased. But for me, 1000+ for a mac? with that kinda cash I could buy/build my own with x3 times the specs.
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Hahah I was slightly afraid this would turn into a pc vs mac battle, but these things are always fun anyway.

Drunknbass i'm fully aware of hackintoshes HOWEVER I'm looking for a notebook, not a desktop. If there are any notebooks that are fully compatible and powerful then that might be the right choice.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Atokadd's Avatar
    Thanks

ybahman, sent you a pm
    HAVE I HELPED YOU? Thank me!

Thanks

get a maxed out macbook pro! they are very expensive, but preform extremely well! (i don't have one. i have a regular macbook, but i wish i had one )
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Thanks

Either a Macbook or Macbook Pro. Truth is, the only tangible difference between the two latest generations is the screen size. Plus, as has been said many times, if you want to use Windoze, it runs natively on any Intel Macbook or if you want to use Crossover (like me), you can run your Windoze programs in the OSX Finder.

One final note: Latest count for Windoze viruses - 148,354. Latest count for OSX viruses - 0. Since I first started using OSX 10.0 in 2000, I've never installed a virus program, and have never needed one.

Flame on world, flame on...
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chase817 View Post
    get a maxed out macbook pro! they are very expensive, but preform extremely well! (i don't have one. i have a regular macbook, but i wish i had one )
    its ok to envy me

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

Green Apple
    Thanks

Got my macbook pro about a year and a half ago and have never looked back. Now looking to get an iMac. Mac's are definitely more user friendly less problems/more reliable in the long run. Get the macbook, and enjoy it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aiyo View Post
    its ok to envy me
    lol lucky!!!
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    One final note: Latest count for Windoze viruses - 148,354. Latest count for OSX viruses - 0. Since I first started using OSX 10.0 in 2000, I've never installed a virus program, and have never needed one.

Flame on world, flame on...
    That virus argument really doesn't cut it. There are well over 1000 human affecting diseases in the world. How many do I have just by being human? erm none. Just because they're there, doesn't mean you'll get them... Unless you go round eating raw sewage and stabbing yourself with dirty needles...Same with a PC. Common sense is all you need.
    Like I have 148 354 viruses on my PC.

About that...interesting

Read
    Last edited by dale1v; 2008-06-23 at 07:47 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast