Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Time draws close for the BIG QUESTION of Mac vs PC

Thanks

ooh! go dale! lol

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

Thanks

edit. I'm about to build a hackintosh. Damn it

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Wow I wish all my threads got this kind of attention I feel sorta special. Here's the lowdown so far if I'm correct.

Mac = No viruses and expensive
    PC = Viruses

I'm not really afraid of viruses as much as I am impressed with performance and tweakability.

OS wise I know OSX is much more stable than XPp (lets not even talk about the V word, that should be erased from all computer history) but i feel i can do more with XP especially hacking wise(I may be wrong). But ever since Apple turned intel, OS hasn't been hardware limited.

I've heard good things about Vaios and MBPs (Personally MBPs look cooler and yes that's important!) but as a college student price is important as well. I'm probably also going to be doing some gaming.

So I guess it would come down to the stress test. What notebook would really have the most under the hood?

*ding ding* carry on
    Last edited by ybahman; 2008-06-23 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks

from what I've heard, Vaios are terrible lol. You'll probably get a student discount with Apple on a MacBook pro...but it'll still be expensive.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Atokadd's Avatar
    Thanks

A Mac Defiantly fits your case.

But laptops are all basically the same durability wise ( Except for that one kick @ss one that like, looks like a brief case, and you can spill water on it, drop it, and it can hold like 250lbs. of pressure ( forgot the name, but thats not cheap either im sure )
    lol

But get a mac, and you got a windows too.
    http:/http://www.apple.com/macosx/fe.../bootcamp.html
    Last edited by Atokadd; 2008-06-23 at 03:29 PM.
    HAVE I HELPED YOU? Thank me!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atokadd For This Useful Post:

ybahman (2008-06-23)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I have kind of a noob question to ask about bootcamp. Is boot camp a Virtual Machine or is it just a means of dual booting?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    That virus argument really doesn't cut it. There are well over 1000 human affecting diseases in the world. How many do I have just by being human? erm none. Just because they're there, doesn't mean you'll get them... Unless you go round eating raw sewage and stabbing yourself with dirty needles...Same with a PC. Common sense is all you need.
    Like I have 148 354 viruses on my PC.

About that...interesting

Read
    Wow, interesting take, if misconstrued. That's not what I said at all. I said how many exist, not how many a single computer has been affected by.

Let me be more specific for you. How many viruses have been made for OSX. And before you go off and present a bunch of links to "Oh, I heard about this one..." or "this virus got a friend of a friend of friend" blogs, how many have affected anyone with a Mac that you personally know?

PPS: You seem to think most people have common sense, when actually most people don't. All you have to do is work in customer service for awhile to realize that.

But no matter, its just my take on the issue.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

There are viruses for macs. I saw one that made your screen melt lol and the only way to fix it was format your computer. Personally I'd get an Alienware laptop, that way you get better performance than a mac, cheaper than a mac and you get XP for hack-ability. AND they look sweet as.
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by ybahman View Post
    I have kind of a noob question to ask about bootcamp. Is boot camp a Virtual Machine or is it just a means of dual booting?
    Boot camp is leopards built in dual booting system, that way you get 100% of the processing power to run XP and all of your apps, but then again you lose VmWare's slick integration of having both OS's open at the same time. I personally use VmWare Fussion on my MBP for college to run several engineering programs that I would otherwise have to pay for on the mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    There are viruses for macs. I saw one that made your screen melt lol and the only way to fix it was format your computer. Personally I'd get an Alienware laptop, that way you get better performance than a mac, cheaper than a mac and you get XP for hack-ability. AND they look sweet as.
    As for that note -sorry- but I think that point is wrong. If I am thinking of the same "virus" as you it, it was a control panel that the user could install and when it was activated a screenshot was taken and then using different algorithms that image would appear to "melt". But it was only a screenshot a newer version of this is the "Newton Virus" -which can be run from a usb key and will only run once causing all of your desktop icons to fall to the bottom, like gravity. But in a few minutes it is over therefore it does not follow either of the two definitions of a virus 1.)To reproduce itself and infect others or 2.)To cause harm or gain information.

While without a doubt there have been several virus' created for macs over the years OSX is thousands of times more advanced than both OS9 and XP in the manner of making it hard for programmers to do so and getting rid of them if they are made.
    Last edited by keisi; 2008-06-26 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    no offense but IMO macs are geared specifically twards idiots.

if you have to ask you need a mac

once again no offense but its true, they are the most user friendly and almost fool proof thing on earth
    So a user friendly fool proof experience means it is for idiots? WOW I guess flip flops are for people who cant tie shoes? or velcro them? It is the user friendly experience that makes the MAC a better machine besides all the facts about stability etc.
    I am sorry but that was a dumb comment Steve Jobs purposely create and wanted a GREAT experience for users of MACs using a computer should not be WORK as it CAN be on other OS's

But what do I know I left the PC world after MANY frustrating years and for the past 5 been with a MAC and with out any troubles or headaches but I guess I am an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by ybahman View Post
    Wow I wish all my threads got this kind of attention I feel sorta special. Here's the lowdown so far if I'm correct.

Mac = No viruses and expensive
    PC = Viruses

I'm not really afraid of viruses as much as I am impressed with performance and tweakability.

OS wise I know OSX is much more stable than XPp (lets not even talk about the V word, that should be erased from all computer history) but i feel i can do more with XP especially hacking wise(I may be wrong). But ever since Apple turned intel, OS hasn't been hardware limited.

I've heard good things about Vaios and MBPs (Personally MBPs look cooler and yes that's important!) but as a college student price is important as well. I'm probably also going to be doing some gaming.

So I guess it would come down to the stress test. What notebook would really have the most under the hood?

*ding ding* carry on
    I travel A LOT and the MACs have held up VERY well under the constant travel and TSA issues I face even in in-climate environments. Also I have done completely away with all microsoft products I do all my word processing in iWork as well as my presentations (which I do a lot of) in Keynote. I know that numbers has a few issues but is easy to use. I have had zero trouble using iWork for all of my needs and transferring and sending files is a breeze to my PC counterparts. Plus all of the STUFF that comes with the MAC like iLife etc, you should figure that into the price as well you get a lot for what you pay for. Compare a similar PC to a specked out MAC and see what the PC price is.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 2008-06-26 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    So a user friendly fool proof experience means it is for idiots? WOW I guess flip flops are for people who cant tie shoes? or velcro them? It is the user friendly experience that makes the MAC a better machine besides all the facts about stability etc.
    I am sorry but that was a dumb comment Steve Jobs purposely create and wanted a GREAT experience for users of MACs using a computer should not be WORK as it CAN be on other OS's

But what do I know I left the PC world after MANY frustrating years and for the past 5 been with a MAC and with out any troubles or headaches but I guess I am an idiot
    +1

Thanks

lol! It's starting to get emotional. I thought that smooth user interface on OS X would make you lot feel a whole lot calmer.
    My Kalyway OS X won't boot. Someone help me!

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    lol! It's starting to get emotional. I thought that smooth user interface on OS X would make you lot feel a whole lot calmer.
    My Kalyway OS X won't boot. Someone help me!
    usually it does.......... but that signature vid of the guy kicking granny gets me every-time!

Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

It's down to preference and although PCWorld know nothing about computers, they use Windows as their OS's. Windows is more widely used, and although this does not make it better, it might explain why the "viruses" are more widely known, if more ppl use windows it makes sense to make a virus to mess it up because it affects more ppl.
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keisi View Post
    Boot camp is leopards built in dual booting system, that way you get 100% of the processing power to run XP and all of your apps, but then again you lose VmWare's slick integration of having both OS's open at the same time. I personally use VmWare Fussion on my MBP for college to run several engineering programs that I would otherwise have to pay for on the mac.
    I actually use Crossover, which allows you to run (still natively) XP programs through the Mac Finder. No emulator as a middle-man. I find this by far the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    I actually use Crossover, which allows you to run (still natively) XP programs through the Mac Finder. No emulator as a middle-man. I find this by far the best of both worlds.
    I tried it but there was no support for the apps that I needed, and I could not get them to work on my own.

I say find sum1 wit a mac and play around on it and do the same for the pc and just go from there! It's up 2 u. Different strokes for different folks!

oh dale still cant get it to work.. i guess he should have ignored my help huh :P

Thanks

Get lost This man nearly made me delete a whole partition with all my stuff on it. If it were not for my quick thinking, I would be screwed
    Last edited by dale1v; 2008-07-02 at 08:01 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast