Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G Camping out at a Mall Apple Store.

Default iPhone 3G Camping out at a Mall Apple Store.
    I plan on camping out for iPhone 3G. The Apple Store (or AT&T) store is inside a mall. They are both in the same mall.
    My question is, last year with iDay 1, original iPhone release.. what were the experiences like when trying to line up for a store in the mall? I plan on going 24 hours before... but I don't know what the mall will do with all the people lined up once the mall itself closes. I mean, if people start lining up just at whatever entrance they feel like lining up at, there will twenty-five different lines. Does the mall or apple usually set up a centralized main line so that doesn't happen.

If it's any help.. it would be either of two malls in FL .. Gardens Mall, or Welling Green.
    iPhone 3G 16GB - Black.

Screw the crAppStore I want Installer!

iPhone? More like MyPhone bomiz96's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm I never thought of that. I would like this to be answered for me too.
    Century City Mall, Beverly Hills

Thanks

Wtf is the point of being the FIRST people to get the iPhone? Does it really make a big difference.... Just my opinion.

Edit: Id assume theres gonna be tons of lines i dont really think Apple and AT&T will set lines up..
    Last edited by Zeal; 2008-06-21 at 08:00 AM. Reason: .
    EDM

iPhone? More like MyPhone bomiz96's Avatar
    Thanks

well that wasn't really the point for me. I was just curious.

iPhone? More like MyPhone my2AWDgst's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't wait till 07/11/08
    DSM fan
    ...16GB 3G Iphone...

Wow. How did I know this would turn into a fan boy bash and not get to the actual question at hand. If you don't want to be an early adopter.. good for you. If you want to be one, good for us. If you don't like Apple Products... good for you. So, I agree with your Avatar image, I have the right to an opinion, you have the right to call me stupid. At the end of the day on this forum though, I don't think you'll have many people on you're side agreeing that we're stupid for asking this.

Just a thought.
    iPhone 3G 16GB - Black.

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Release of the iPhone original was at 6pm, I was in line at 4:30 am, and I was about 6th. I don't think the lines will be near as long this time, since its just an update, not a new product completely. I'd say 8 hours before should make you first in line to dehydrate yourself.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Yeah, no need for overnight. I got in line at around 10:30 and only 3 people(including me) were in the line till about 3:30 then about 12 till 5:30ish then the line got HUGE just show up a couple hours early

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bleeditout2130's Avatar
    Thanks

Call the stores and the mall?

I don't think the lines are going to be bad this go round. I'll go by the store a few hours before it opens. If there's a line I'll get into it, if there isn't really one I'll come back later.

Thanks guys. Thats what I'm hoping. I'll still probably show up at mall open on the 11th. Just head down to the apple store and sit in front of it. When Apple asks why we're sitting in front of the display, we'll tell them... and hopefully the line will become official at the point.

One more question though, did they hand out "tickets" of sort? I camped out for a Nintendo Wii once (Which required Ovenight,... got there at 11 pm the night prior, and the line was already 20+ people long.) They came around with tickets for people at around 9:00 am, right before the store opened.. they told us, "if you have one ticket, you will get one Wii. You will be served by the number you have. You can wait here till we open at 10:30, or you can go somewhere and come back when we open" I think thought the ticketing was a great idea. I think Apple should, when they open on the 11th, hand tickets out to people who ask for them. Then when the iPhone goes on sale, they should start calling out the numbers and taking the customers. No need to line up.

Then again, thats too easy, no publicity, and too simple for Apple. :/
    iPhone 3G 16GB - Black.

I'm almost positive that they wont run out. Last go around a lady had something like 10,000 dollars and thought she could buy a bunch and sell them on ebay for a profit. The apple store near me still had like 45 left and supply met demand. If anything apple knows what to expect and will have plenty of iPhones leftover

iPhone? More like MyPhone Numberzz's Avatar
    Thanks

I live about 5 minutes from an Apple Store (Burlingame, CA) and I'll be checking to see how big the line is every few hours. I'll just eventually pop in there. I'll be playing Penguin Panic on my iPhone until I get the new iPhone 3G. :P