Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My new toy...

Default My new toy...
    ZOMG, everyone and their mom should get an EEE PC 900 by Asus.

These tiny computers may seem like lightweights, but with boot times as fast as ten (yes TEN) seconds, they hold their own for sure.

Question: But can you mod on? Of COURSE you can! in fact, they are probably one of the most modded laptops on the market.

Specs:

Ships with either Xandros linux or WinXP
    with either 20GB or 12GB SSD (respective to the OS choice) [4GB wired SSD + 16GB upgradable or 4GB wired + 8GB uppgradable]
    1GB DDR2 RAM
    Multi Touch trackpad
    8.9" LCD
    5800mAh battery (average time - 1.5-3 hours)
    SD(HC) card slot
    VGA out
    USB 2.0 port X 3

All for 532.99 Shipped (in the USA) from buy.com

I got the linux model, which had INSANE boot times, and stuck XP on it, and am content. the machine is brilliant, and was made for the minimalist in all of us .

If you are looking for a laptop, but don't want to get one of the dinosaurs to lug around, this is it. I'm typing this post from it right now.

<-- One satisfied customer
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Green Apple
    Thanks

thats dope... you're holding down lansing mi huh? I just moved to Grand Rapids from lansing... much better here in terms of jobs and location.

Thanks

MI FTW!

I'll check out the computer. Sounds legit...

Dude, I got some boys down in GR!

The laptop is freakin' sweet. It's ridiculously portable.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Damn that thing is really small for a laptop haha mine is 2 times that size or more but then again its also a lot more powerful :P

iPhone? More like MyPhone Atokadd's Avatar
    Thanks

Sure is small, but doesnt beat a normal Laptop.
    HAVE I HELPED YOU? Thank me!

Thanks

I'll take my 13" core 2 duo over this every time
    To live, you have to lie

I'm sure that you all will. But my battery life will PWN any other laptops everytime. BTW, it really doesn't matter how many cores that you have in your processor, as most apps don't unlock the full potential of the CPU.

I actually ended up replacing my laptop with this model. The way I see it, I never really use more than a few GB's.

We live in a world where everyone thinks that they need the most storage, RAM and CPU. But we simply don't need all of it. In fact, it wastes battery more than it helps. If I was looking for something that will literally do it all, then I would get a huge desktop. But the point of the laptop is to have something that is portable. Just like the reason there aren't 12" Speaker drivers connected to the iPod. So in terms of having a machine that is appropriate for the use intended; This is it.

Thanks

How about a few pics?
    Apples taste good.

Here's a couple pics:

Currently, I'm running a hacked XP (for the moment) with the Vista Inspirat 2 BricoPack (crystalXP.net). Runs great. It does take a minute or two to completely load my desktop (I also have AVG free 8.0, Spybot S&D and ZoneAlarm), but I rarely shutdown completely. Typically, I just put it on Standby. The standby is great on here; I showed the laptop to my GF's brother, put it in standby, went to shoot pool for about 3 hours, came back and still had 90% of my battery left.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Imahottguy For This Useful Post:

Kruejl (2008-06-22)

Thanks

I don't know what you mean by 'But my battery life will PWN any other laptops everytime', but 1.5-3 hours is piss poor for a underpowered laptop, never mind a proper laptop. So if my 2 cores and 2GB ram and 160GB hard drive is wasting battery, i hate to think what yours is doing to waste battery!

On another note, I ordered one of these off ebay last night just to mess around with
    To live, you have to lie

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

No No Mine will pwn anybodys

I haven't tested it with just light browsing, all of the use has been quite heavy- downloading at ~ 800 kb/s and such. I still believe that my laptop PWNs any others. 3 hours of constant wifi is decent, considering the small size. Also, lets keep in mind that the battery included is proportional to the size of the unit. Seriously, do you get more than 2 hours of heavy use out of your laptop? I highly doubt so.

Thanks

Yes, i get 3-4 hours constant browsing, wifi and with itunes.

This laptop may be sweet, but battery isn't exactly it's selling point, especially when the 901 is rated at over 5 hours
    To live, you have to lie

Also, the 901 has a $50 higher price due to the Atom processor. It's breaking the $600 mark for an ultra low-cost pc... Oxymoron? lol

The battery still is amazing, especially since there are so many aftermarket batteries that give you a lot more juice.

Thanks

^^^LOVE the pics, nice screenies!
    Apples taste good.

lol thanks