Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: external hard drive won't mount :( please help

Default external hard drive won't mount :( please help
    Accidently unplugged (first time).. Plug it back in and now it won't mount. Disk Utility detects it,

verify yields this:
    Verifying volume “G-DRIVE MINI”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Incorrect block count for file .store.db
    (It should be 3173 instead of 3157)
    Incorrect block count for file store.db
    Invalid sibling link
    The volume G-DRIVE MINI needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

and repair yields this:
    Verify and Repair disk “G-DRIVE MINI”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Incorrect block count for file .store.db
    Incorrect block count for file store.db
    Invalid sibling link
    Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

does anyone have any help they could offer? I'm going to die if I lose everything on there.. gigs of archived full quality video filmed over the past few years.....

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Hmm. If thats on an external and you are unable to repair disk using disk utility, you may need something more serious, like Disk Warrior.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Hmm. If thats on an external and you are unable to repair disk using disk utility, you may need something more serious, like Disk Warrior.
    thanks for the reply PF. If I were to go to the apple store would they be able to run disk warrior there for me or do you think I'm going to have to buy it regardless?

On a Mac You Never want to repair Permissions on an External Drive. It can actually corrupt the permissions. Try to reboot, leave the drive unplugged until the mac completely boots and finder is up. Then turn on the Gdrive and plug it in. If it is USB and firewire, try them both. (Seperatly of course) If that doesn't work, try to get the files off by way of 3rd party software, then reformat.

I tried everything you had mentioned already. Went to the mac store today and picked up a copy of disk warrior. only $40 with the rest of my iphone $100 rebate

and thank God.. It appears everything is there! I seriously could not be more relieved. I was going through and organizing all the raw video I had and putting all the clips into separate projects to prepare to burn them to a DVD. I planned on backing everything on that drive to another one just in case but hadn't finished yet! Needless to say I've already got all the files stored onto the lacie disk on my desktop! I guess I can put this lethal dose of heroin back into my little black box for another time! ......j/k