Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: major debate

Thanks

Your dad is on something.

because all analogies are inaccurate.

you cant compare robbing a bank, wich involves like 23 acts of felony, with unlocking, or circumventing the software of a phone or any device, maybe it's not 100% legal, but sure as hell is not ROBBING
    Last edited by ez3t0r; 2008-06-17 at 01:04 AM.

CORRECT! you're NOT agreeing! but doesn't apple think that you're going to take it home and activate it? don't they sell it to you, thinking you'll sign up with at&t? or no?
    on my second iPhone... (although the first one got taken)...
    fw: 1.1.4
    size: 8gb
    service: at&t
    unlocked & jailbroken!

Thanks

^^^If they cared enough, they would have required in-store activation from day one. Here's something else to think about...AT&T gives Apple $15 of the $20 they charge for the iPhone plan EVERY MONTH if you activate it through AT&T. That's how they talked Apple into the original Exclusivity agreement. So the Net $5 is far LESS than they make on standard data plans....do you really think AT&T is going to care if you keep your plan as-is? They should be thanking you for adding more $$ to their bottom line.
    Last edited by Kruejl; 2008-06-17 at 02:58 AM.
    Apples taste good.

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

i all honesty your kinda stealing from att if you are not on iphone plane, the signed a deal for exclusive rights to phone, if you are not singing that deal and go to say t-mobil they are not getting there cut, apple also has it so they get a percent of every contract att has with iphone. Technically you are steaingl if you unlock and use on another network. Jailbreaking i would say def not stealing you did buy device. But they are monsters of corperations and i really could care less if they dont get a few more dollars from me. My 2 cents

Edit: It may not be called stealing,, but you are taking bizness away from att that is suppose to be theirs . But hey, F the man, he sucks
    Last edited by screamforme02; 2008-06-17 at 03:19 AM.
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

I don't see how that could in any way be considered stealing. Especially since AT&T and Apple didn't subsidize the device at all - you're paying $400-600 for a device, you own it. Should you choose to use it with AT&T, T-Mobile, or as merely an iPod, or a freakin coaster or paper weight, its yours. You're not RENTING a device, you're buying it.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

but technically at&t is not getting their cut... neither is apple. but seriously, like poetic said, if you jsut use it as a paper weight after buying it, then their STILL not going to get their cut... so either way you put it, it's not stealing I guess.
    on my second iPhone... (although the first one got taken)...
    fw: 1.1.4
    size: 8gb
    service: at&t
    unlocked & jailbroken!

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

They don't need a cut - its a phone, not an AT&T subscriber unit. If you were renting the device, that'd be one thing - but you're buying it. Same as if I go to Europe, buy a phone from O2, then come back - it doesn't mean I can't use my phone anymore. The phone is mine, I can use it with whomever I want.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

WOW!! Seriously!!! Its like talking with a 2 y-old kid!!! Come on!!! U don't need to debate this the first reply answered it and I don't see why others are waisting time answering it in a different way!!!! You bought it>you own it>... So tell ur dad that if he buys a bank, him robbing it wouldnt be stealing!!! The end!!! Another 5 mins waisted!!!

Thanks

Did i mention read my post?
    EDM

iPhone? More like MyPhone wareagle5693's Avatar
    Thanks

I think you did Zeal, and I think they should read your post too!

Thanks

Its your device, you payed for it, and there was no contract locking you into using AT&T. There should be no questions asked. If Apple wanted you to stick to AT&T they would say you can't buy it without signing with AT&T.

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

From what I gather your dad is pissed cos u stole it from him, I think unlocking it is irrelevant. It's like my dad has money in his wallet, therefore he's not spending it, therefore I CAN spend it. Thats what I think the problem is. If you had asked your dad for it instead of just taking it then he might not be pissed. Maybe he got it 4 u as a present, but because you stole it off him he's gonna sell it now.

Regarding Unlocking an iPhone, it's more a moral issue, Like somewhere down the line the iPhone did come from Apple, therefore someone HAS paid Apple for the phone. But when you unlock it then you are free to choose which carrier you use. I am on Orange because I feel like I get a better deal than I would than if I entered a contract with O2. It's personal preference really. Unlocking is not an issue if you don't make it.
    Last edited by Jay316; 2008-06-19 at 07:51 PM.
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    I din't read the entire thread but from what I gather your dad is pissed cos u stole it from him, I think unlocking it is irrelevent. It's like my dad has money in his wallet, therefore he's not spending it, therefore I CAN spend it. Thats what I think the problem is. If you had asked your dad for it insted of just taking it then he might not be pissed. Maybe he got it 4 u as a present, but because you stole it off him he's gonna sell it now
    Maybe it would have been a good idea to read the whole thread before replying!!!!LOL

Thanks

Your dad's bank robber analogy doesn't fit. Whether or not a bank robber spends alot of time setting up and executing a bank robbery, it's the act itself that is illegal. Therefore no, its not right.

The act of unlocking your phone is legal, and protected under the afore mentioned statute. And let's be sure to distinguish that what is "right" and what is "legal" are many times not the same thing. Just like the vacuous difference between what is "justice" and what is "law".

Yes, by unlocking your phone, both Apple and AT&T lose out. AT&T loses on the money they would have made from you as a customer, and Apple loses their royalties (kickbacks) that they get from AT&T for your data charges. There's a reason AT&T is under contract to be the only iPhone carrier, and that's their deal with Apple to share the wealth.

As we all know, including your dad, it's all about Greed. The almighty buck. So if Apple doesn't make as much as they could by you obeying their edict, that's too damn bad for them. It's your phone, use it how you want to.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yemenprince2004 View Post
    Maybe it would have been a good idea to read the whole thread before replying!!!!LOL
    Maybe you should try constructive replies.
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Once you pay Apple for you iPhone you can do whatever the hell you want with it its your own property..

Thanks

EDM

iPhone? More like MyPhone Atokadd's Avatar
    Thanks

It's your phone, use it how you want to.
    (I would have quoted more, but thats alot of writing you did, and didn't want to repost the whole thing, too much wasted space.)

Yea! Fight the Power!
    HAVE I HELPED YOU? Thank me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12