Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: DJing questions...

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhoneHero's Avatar
    Thanks

Default DJing questions...
    Alrite I know that there are a few djs out there so i have a few questions...
    1.Noise canceling headphones: good idea? granted that it gives you an upper hand when listening to the cue, but would blocking out whats going out in the main be a bad idea?

2.I use Traktor DJ studio 3 and I'm wondering what would be some good midi controllers to use. I found quite a few M-Audio controllers that are amazing, but out of my price range.

3.Mixers. Best inexpensive ones?
    "Somebody turn on the lights...its getting little to dark in here...I can't see you...when I'm dreaming...I can't see you....I can't see you..."

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I've been dj'ing for awhile, though i use serato and turntables, not traktor. I've used some EMU midi controllers and they're good for live PA stuff, but for controlling traktor, I can't say. Some people i know swear by noise cancelling headphones, but hearing the main will help a lot, as long as you train yourself to separate the main from the phones. I personally just use the technics DH 1200 phones, they always serve me well at any venue.

iPhone? More like MyPhone doogee's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont think noise cancelling headphones will help that much if you already have decent volume through your cue. But if you have the extra cash to spend, go for it. Just make sure to have extra batteries!

I recommend Numark for mixers. Great quality.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well ive been DJing for over 10 yrs now and I currently use Serato and techs. As for mixers RANE all the way but they are expensive second choice would be Pioneer but it depends what type of a DJ you are. A turntabalist or scratch DJ's top choice would numark or the one series of RANE (forget what its called) but its cross-fader uses magnets to glide. As for noise cancelling headphones imo its not really needed. As for blocking out whats going on the main, just as long as you have some good monitor speakers you should be fine for that.

I've heard that Pioneer mixers are good, and I've used a Denon.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by doogee View Post
    I dont think noise cancelling headphones will help that much if you already have decent volume through your cue. But if you have the extra cash to spend, go for it. Just make sure to have extra batteries!

I recommend Numark for mixers. Great quality.
    Do NOT use numark. And higher volume isn't always going to help, just damage your hearing faster.

well, I mean you could, but you can definitely get way better. As was mentioned before, Rane has superb quality mixers. Personally I use a Urei, which I love. Ive used a few different pioneers, the 707 isn't bad for entry level, and the 909 is good for hip hop dj's and lots of crazy effects, the sliders are also pretty solid. I do however have to recommend Urei or Ecler, as they are the best ones I've used.

Behringer BCR2000 as midi controllers
    Daft punk uses them for their live tour so they should be good