Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cable Companies Are Evil.!!!

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Cable Companies Are Evil.!!!
    Holy crap check this article out. I cant even believe the government would allow such a thing.

Top cable companies try reining in heavy web use | Entertainment | Industry | Reuters
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Thanks

Yeah, I saw this on Intelliscreen... Really gay.

I'm guessing you've never heard of this small continent called Australia? Because this whole metered internet mentality is ALL they have.

I honestly don't think this is a bad thing as long as the prices are either flexible or the limits reasonable. I use a lot of streaming services (netflix, fox on demand, nbc, youtube) and I play a lot of online games (TF2) and I rarely if ever go over the limits being thrown around.

So the only people affected by this are people too accustomed to illegally downloading and torrenting stuff. And for those people genuinely affected by this, this is only a testing phase, I'm sure they'll work out the kinks on pricing to put it on a reasonable range. Or maybe use this on people who download too much.

Thanks

T_T

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

My iPhone is a Part of Me m3thodandr3d's Avatar
    Thanks

Right now I'm paying for a business connection and get fairly fast speeds at
    Fastest Download:
    25009 kb/s
    Fastest Upload:
    2121 kb/s
    If they mess with my speeds, I'll cause an uproar. If I'm paying for a 25mb connection, I want to be able to use that full 25mb at a time. Who are they to limit my connection when I'm paying for it?
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out

Thanks

Comcast..
    EDM

Quote Originally Posted by m3thodandr3d View Post
    Right now I'm paying for a business connection and get fairly fast speeds at
    Fastest Download:
    25009 kb/s
    Fastest Upload:
    2121 kb/s
    If they mess with my speeds, I'll cause an uproar. If I'm paying for a 25mb connection, I want to be able to use that full 25mb at a time. Who are they to limit my connection when I'm paying for it?
    This looks to be more for the home connections. I can't imagine them doing the same thing for their business class tier.

Thanks

Comcast business is 16mb speed for the enhanced package, 50mb for extreme which is only available in twin cities, and home is something like 8.5mb.
    So my speeds are pretty high for my area.
    What are you getting for speeds?
    Last edited by m3thodandr3d; 2008-06-04 at 10:01 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone navalynt's Avatar
    Thanks

This has been a looong time coming. It's like sitting at an all-you-can-eat buffet ALL DAY and complaining when the owners kick you out because they did not post a reasonable time frame on the sign. Really, this is exactly what it is. It's unfortunate that there are a few "power users" out there abusing the crap out of the current system then throwing tantrums about "unlimited usage" which is going to now hurt everyone else.

And just so you know, I live in Alaska where most of the internet plans are metered and max out at 10Mbps for speed. I hear some friends/family complaining about usage charges every so often but the cable provider up here offers the ability to check usage online so it's their own damned faults for going over. My suggestion to anyone in a market where internet is metered is this: if in doubt choose the higher cap and check your usage every couple of days for the first month or two.

Also, I highly doubt they are going to mess around with Business Connections. Business customers pay a premium over residential customers on their services for priority technical support and higher guaranteed up-time. I have not seen a single news article about a business customer complaining of bandwidth-throttling or packet shaping, only residential users.

Of course there's always going to be those idiots who buy residential services to use for a business :-P
    Last edited by navalynt; 2008-06-04 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. The Following User Says Thank You to navalynt For This Useful Post:

Napoleon_PhoneApart (2008-06-04)

Thanks

I haven't had any problems yet, and the article said that they will soon start testing it in some areas of the country . I use a business connection for my home just because of all the downloading I do. I'm sure some people download more than I do though .

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well this freaking sucks I hate comcast...

Thanks

If they had fios in my area, I'd switch in a heartbeat, but sadly we can only get comcast around here.

Thanks

Comcast loves to do maintence at night or peak hours where i live.
    EDM

iPhone? More like MyPhone navalynt's Avatar
    Thanks

When would you propose they do their maintenance? I think almost all telcom companies use the midnight - 6am window for maintenance since that will have the lowest customer impact. If they do it earlier in the evening then you have people getting home from work unable to use their internet, later in the morning it starts to affect businesses.

Most people are sleeping during the midnight - 6am time so it's best overall. Of course, this sucks for gamers burning the midnight oil but most telcom companies also have someplace online where they post scheduled downtime or you could always call their tech support and ask if there is anything scheduled.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i'm sure theyre all being pressured by the movie industry if theyre not already part of the movie industry, see Time Warner.

Thanks

If they had fios in my area, I'd switch in a heartbeat, but sadly we can only get comcast around here.
    I just made this switch in April. Fios Rocks! Just got my free tv today too.

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

its lame i have three video game consoles at home and we all play online for hours on end. i mean we could esialy do 170hours in a month. oo and you xbox fanboys already pay extra for live. haha hows this feel youll be paying for live and overages cuz you play to much. super lame. I also watch most of my tv shows online because im never home when they are on. This sounds like as big of a rip off as pay as you go cell phones. Its not our faults that the multi bagillion dollar cable companys cannot update there networks faster. they just like money to much. i remember when paying 50 dollars for internet was un heard of. now its standered practice. EVIL!!!

Ps: Dont sell unlimited service if you know you wont be able to handle it. These companies knew the internet was going to get huge. Its there own faults. But yeh its just another way to make a couple billion more dollars, Hurray Corperations Ruling the world
    Last edited by screamforme02; 2008-06-05 at 02:26 AM.
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!