Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: what are the hacking terms?

Default what are the hacking terms?
    what does these hacking terms mean

"virginize"
    "baseband"
    "SSH"
    "apptapp"

if there is more hacking terms please let me know a newbie has to learn somehow

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My advice... google/ wikipedia them - easier and will save time :-)
    Unable to restore signature. Error (1015)

iPhone? More like MyPhone xfsasx's Avatar
    Thanks

virginize means putting the phone into a perfectly restored state as if it was out of the box
    baseband is...well i dont know how to explain it but it makes the phone work and if you change it correctly unlocks it
    ssh is the protocol for accessing the filesystem through command line
    apptapp is the program that installs the installer.app

jailbreak is a term used for describing software unlock of iPhone - getting access to its filesystem so you can install applications and connect to it.
    baseband is a software that manages iPhone's phone functions like calling, receiving SMS, GPRS.
    lockdown is a software that authorizes services on iPhone like calling or communication between iPhone and computer
    bootloader is a software that boots iPhone and makes sure that every part of it works / is connected / etc. it also checks baseband.

maybe some mod can make a sticky post with small glossary for new people?

Thanks

Unlock-Let the phone run on any GSM carrier

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolol801 View Post
    what does these hacking terms mean

"virginize"
    "baseband"
    "SSH"
    "apptapp"

if there is more hacking terms please let me know a newbie has to learn somehow
    Virginize - means restoring your iPhone to a "factory state" as if it just came off the shelf.
    Basebase - a reference to the iPhone modem, which allows the radio functions (phone).
    SSH - Secure Socket Handler. Think of it as secure telneting.
    Apptap is a program which installs the "installer.app", a program that runs natively on the iPhone to allow you to wirelessly install new programs and media.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

Jodiedicie (2007-11-27)

Brick, bricked: To render the device useless, thus making it a paperweight or brick
    Restore: Reinstalling the iPhone firmware (which is the Operating System) to factory settings. If you are not restoring to a backup that iTunes created (meaning if you are downgrading or upgrading), then all of your music, contacts, etc will be deleted.

NOTE: Virginize and Restore are similar in some respects, but not necessarily the same.

Sometimes you will see 'virginze the baseband', which is intended for those who have unlocked thier iPhones. This means to undo the changes made to it by the unlocking program.

Another Note: Unlocking is ONLY necessary when one needs to use the iPhone outside of the carrier that sells the iPhone [ rather, has exclusive to sell it ] (if any) in ones country. IE: If you live in USA, and have AT&T, then you don't need to unlock it. Unless, you plan to sell it. You will make more money that way

Just thought that I would give ya a couple of tips...

Also, if an app says 'For x.x.x ONLY' and you don't have the firmware version 'x.x.x' (where x is any number), save yourself the heartache and do NOT install it. I learned the hard way, more than once lol.
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 2007-11-28 at 01:19 PM.