Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Computer!!!

Default New Computer!!!
    ok so for graduation i finally got a new laptop! its a dell xps m1530 and so far i love it!

im not familiar with windows vista and i know with xp there were some tips on how to speed it up soooo....i was wondering if you guys could give me some tips and/or tricks on how to make it faster or get the best out of it! Thanks!

ps im not shy with using the thanks button

if you laptop came with vista... you should upgrade to XP...

you should double-thank me for this piece of advice

Thanks

Agreed.

I triple that.

Vista is really frustrating...
    If I helped, Please don't hesitate to hit the thanks button!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I got one of those from Dell as well. Yeah, Vista is a hog .. The Dell techies would not even give me drivers for XP. I'm thinking to just run Red Hat.

I would say xp and ubuntu via dual boot, or hell if you like to keep astalla vista then tripple boot.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

I dont understand what alot of this means lol

In that case I would recommend to leave your laptop as is till you know more. Do search google or better yet dell forums for more detailed answers.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to iBlade For This Useful Post:

howlett15 (2008-06-02)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by howlett15 View Post
    ok so for graduation i finally got a new laptop! its a dell xps m1530 and so far i love it!

im not familiar with windows vista and i know with xp there were some tips on how to speed it up soooo....i was wondering if you guys could give me some tips and/or tricks on how to make it faster or get the best out of it! Thanks!

ps im not shy with using the thanks button
    go to youtube and search vista tweek, and how to speed up vista.. theres loads of good vids on there

Make you own visit this link.

http://www.modmyi.com/siggen/index.php

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustynuts For This Useful Post:

howlett15 (2008-06-02)

Thanks

You noobs vista works fine for me.... I don't understand how everyone has problems with it.

Quit Phailing.
    EDM

Thanks

It's not just noobs who think Vista sucks, about 80% of the tech community agree.
    To live, you have to lie

14. The Following User Says Thank You to redcard For This Useful Post:

Kaas (2008-06-04)

Thanks

vista is fine. i have used it since it was in beta and it is perfectly fine for me. people will hate on anything and everything

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
    You noobs vista works fine for me.... I don't understand how everyone has problems with it.

Quit Phailing.
    Its because we are computer veterans who know what we want in a computer. Your just an average person who does regular things like me little brother. You guys got used to what vista does, but us veterans cant get used to it because it limits what we're used too. Conclusion: We aren't failing, we're just too smart for vista.

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

Thanks

This is a pretty good article:
    Speed Up Vista
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aiyo View Post
    Its because we are computer veterans who know what we want in a computer. Your just an average person who does regular things like me little brother. You guys got used to what vista does, but us veterans cant get used to it because it limits what we're used too. Conclusion: We aren't failing, we're just too smart for vista.
    Honestly, that made me laugh. I have been writing code in C++ since I was 13 years old and been a huge nerd ever since then. You are NOT too smart for vista, your probably just not smart enough to change what you don't like. Wow, "Your just an average person who does regular things like me little brother" lololol
    How do you explain, "it limits what we are used to"? what exactly does it limit that xp allowed?

Of course different OS's have different limits but I am talking about windows machines, I don't use macs. I assume if you tried vista you came from xp and not a mac.

so who certified you to be a "computer veteran"? where can i get that title?

p.s. I hate UAC but it is very simple to disable it completely and not ever have it prompt you.

edit: I see your using OSX, I can't compare the two because I have never used OSX but oh welll. Vista gets a lot more sh*t then it deserves.

I support the Vista operating system. Not that much different from XP. There is no reason not to get it, but there is also no incentive to upgrade to it.

Mindfucked myself. @[email protected]

Also, congrats on getting a new computer.
    Last edited by runningwild; 2008-06-03 at 04:36 AM.

First off, ignore every single idiot who says to get XP.

Second, I honestly wouldn't play with tweaking Vista much. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, messing with system files could lead to an unstable system.

I went up and looked up the specs on your particular model, but there's like 4 variations. Regardless of the options, you probably have a nice mid-range core duo for processor and 2-4GB of RAM with an ok video card. Vista and anything you throw at it will work just fine, in fact, Vista's laptop power management is awesome and the hybrid sleep/hibernate feature makes moving a breeze. You never really have to boot off your computer unless you're installing something that requires a restart.

So grats on your new computer and don't be afraid of a new OS.

EDIT: if you honestly find it slowing you down (it really, really, really shouldn't unless something is horribly wrong or your trying to run Crysis in a laptop), you can disable Aero UI. Oh and btw, Aero disable itself whenever you start a game, so don't worry about it stealing your precious memory.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 2008-06-03 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have to both agree and disagree on somethings. Yes windows isnt the greatist OS in the world but I like how a guy who uses OSX says hes too smart for vista. Last time I checked OSX is basicaly about as simple as you get. Vista can be good if you know how to fix small errors and stuff like that. most IT ppl i know dual boot windows/linux for the sheer fact that they need both. But as for the fact that he should downgrade? I disagree I think at least keep vista. Dual boot xp/vista

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

Iv had vista for a while. Im an Xp man myself. Vista is ok, its basically a prettier Xp and a memory hog. Turn off Aero and you will se a fairly large increase in speed. I Like Aero it looks cool so i left it on. My CPUs never go below 20% and my 4gigs of ram(OS sees 2.6) never goes below 40% and thats just sitting on desktop nothing open. There are many guides online how to trim it down. i.e turning off certain services. Iv gotten mine to just were i like it, still fairly quick but still looks gorgeous. The only thing i dont like are the new menus it takes me twice as long to open certain menus. But thats cuz i wont turn it to look like xp. But Its and ok Os, i loved XP, i like vista. It can play halo 2. lol. That was my 2 cents.

Ps my laptop was 500 bucks and its loads in less than a minute. Also might as well stick with Vista seeing there going to eventually kill XP, not till atleast 2010 but its going to happen. Im Hoping for XP pro for xmas. hehe DualBoot oyeh and a triple boot if my computer will allow it
    Last edited by screamforme02; 2008-06-03 at 05:36 AM.
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

thanks for all the advice everybody

I'm going to stick with the vista its pretty cool I think and the new computer is soo fast! But then again I'm used to my 8 yr old desktop that started with windows me... It has about 1000 songs a few videos and a bunch of iPhone things that have seemed to really slow it down latley... Where I live I can only get satelite Internet (slow over-priced and limits downloads) and on my old desktop I got usually around 25-35kbs on a dl but now with the laptop I'm consistently getting 100kbs!!! So I'm pumped
    I've decided not to put limewire on here or anything to dl
    songs because that really seems to haunt me.
    the only thing that annoys me about the laptop is the battery life is terrible but it usually stays on the charger anyway
    I will try to speed vista up eventually once I become more familiar with it
    thanks for the help so far and keep the discussion going!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast