Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Computer!!!

Also, one last opinion. I see a couple of people calling vista a memory hog. What's the point of having 2-4GB of RAM if you never use it?

Vista is somewhat (it's a bit slow at the beginning then learns) smart with memory usage and allocation. It'll use idle memory to index and keep everything working fine. When and should you need the memory for something else, it'll gladly give it to the program. It'll also pick up on habits. Say you play a game daily? It'll start keeping it somewhat pre-loaded to minimize loading times.

Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Thanks

Xp PWNS Vista. But,I suggest you to install Hackintosh software,which will allow you to run Mac OSX and XP or xp.
    Last edited by Apple iPie; 2008-06-03 at 08:26 PM.

Just install Mac Os X on it

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

hahahaha blah i thought vista was super over simplified. than i saw os10. lol
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
    You noobs vista works fine for me.... I don't understand how everyone has problems with it.

Quit Phailing.
    You are in no position to call me a noob, young Zeal, the great Phailmeister III

Quote Originally Posted by bts0uth View Post
    vista is fine. i have used it since it was in beta and it is perfectly fine for me. people will hate on anything and everything
    So did I, and I got rid of it because of it's 60% memory usage when idle. It's not a matter of hating, it's a matter of monopoly feeding me dog$hit for breakfast and calling it innovation. No businesses or schools that I know use Windows Vista. If it was to work so perfect, they would have it, wouldn't they?

At Noodle Boy are these professionals that use servers and computers every day that vouch against Vista idiots too? Because if they're idiots, I don't see why they have a job.
    perhaps they know what they're talking about...maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Also, one last opinion. I see a couple of people calling vista a memory hog. What's the point of having 2-4GB of RAM if you never use it?

Vista is somewhat (it's a bit slow at the beginning then learns) smart with memory usage and allocation. It'll use idle memory to index and keep everything working fine. When and should you need the memory for something else, it'll gladly give it to the program. It'll also pick up on habits. Say you play a game daily? It'll start keeping it somewhat pre-loaded to minimize loading times.
    Ooooh. That's sounds cool... But:

It still doesn't make it an improvement in terms of speed over XP.

Bit of an oxymoron really; you supposedly make something more efficient, then it is actually slower than the predecessor. Hm.

Vista, like all operating systems gets slower as time goes on.

But then again, you can use READYBOOST!
    /sarcasm
    Last edited by dale1v; 2008-06-03 at 08:09 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dale1v For This Useful Post:

Apple iPie (2008-06-03)

wow...interesting debate. i have been an xp user for quite a few years now and found the system to be very stable. couple of months back i did upgrade to vista (on my notebook) because i just wanted to.

and i have to say....i like to looks of it. the GUI and eye-candy is really good. looks very polished, clean and sophisticated. it also has some very good features and support & security apps built-in. since i have ultimate i also installed dreamscene (with a beautiful waterfall movie) running on desktop. and the reacton i get from everybody is worth it.

but i agree that all this is just eye-pleasing cosmetics and comes at a price of more system resources. Xp was rock solid, whereas, i wudn't necessarily say the same about vista. it has completely drained my 'c' drive and my 1.5 gigs of RAM with a nvidia dedicated graphics card seems to be working overtime now (especially since i use cad & 3d softwares).

so finally it wud come down to the individual user and his requirements. i like vista and have had no serious problems with it so far but i wud have preferred it even more if it felt more solid.
    Last edited by saifeeab; 2008-06-03 at 09:26 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol,dale,nice post. But,different thing work for different people. For example,I used Windows XP,before and love it. And,my 7 years old brother got a Dell Computer too,with XP on it,so I installed MAC OSX on it,and all works great!

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

Vista is a resource and memory hog. I have my main computor that dual boots vista and xp and xp runs better and with less software problems than vista. I also have leopard and xp dual boot on another computor and leopard seems to respond a little better than xp (i am not that familiar with leopard yet). Its all personal preference but i put my money on xp. I also have ubuntu 8.04 on another conputor but its an older and slower computor so i can not compare it yet till i get it on a faster one but i like the interface and compiz.
    Last edited by JAG2621; 2008-06-03 at 10:46 PM.
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

You all seem to be very anti-Vista. I'm had Vista for a few months and not encountered any problems yet. So downgrading to XP really is pointless, for the everyday user Vista is fine, as long as you've got more than 2GB RAM it works fine. Only experienced users should bother downgrading, or better yet get Linux.
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone cjvdh's Avatar
    Thanks

Vista is really BAD!
    C E E J A Y PRODUCTION'S

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Vista looks cool but hasn't been stable, at least the 3 machines that I've used. I haven't really messed with Vista yet. XP has been great for me. OSX is by far the most stable OS I've used.

Don't be afraid to dive in and tweak it, you can always reload if you mess something up. Just don't forget to back up all your important stuff before messing around.
    Don't forget the Thanks if I helped

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    It's not just noobs who think Vista sucks, about 80% of the tech community agree.
    Nice made up statistics. Vista is more efficient than xp and runs better in certain situations ...Vista manages memory better as well as multiple cores....so in those cases it performs better than xp.
    DO WORK

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

lol yeh but you couldnt use ur nivida chipsets for ages. lolol. and so many apps still dont work. thats why techs dont like it, cuz lots of them use propritary software that worked on 2000 and Xp but it just wont work in vista
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Quote Originally Posted by screamforme02 View Post
    lol yeh but you couldnt use ur nivida chipsets for ages. lolol. and so many apps still dont work. thats why techs dont like it, cuz lots of them use propritary software that worked on 2000 and Xp but it just wont work in vista
    So what you're saying is that Vista sucks because software developers won't update their software to run properly on it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Microsoft has been expediting the release of Windows 7 in light of the fact that Vista is not being accepted by the business community and the IT people.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Microsoft has been expediting the release of Windows 7 in light of the fact that Vista is not being accepted by the business community and the IT people.
    It won't be that different from Vista and Microsoft is already sending out betas of it so companies get their act together and update their software in time for release. I know Vista gets a lot of flak for its not-so-stellar release but it was in beta/RC for almost two years and little to no companies took the time to update then went "lol its not us its the os". Video drivers were the really big offender there. Took like 7 months for gaming in Vista to catch up to XP.

My iPhone is a Part of Me m3thodandr3d's Avatar
    Thanks

Vista flat out sucks. All vista does is eat up memory like crazy and give you a $hitty GUI that is supposed to compete with OSX. The sidebar is a joke, widgets anyone??? I have vista, xp, os x, and ubuntu on my system, and I would have to say that Vista is the worst OS I have ever come across. UAC sucks, and Vista laggggs like mad when you open programs that utilize alot of memory. I rather use my 2 gigs of ram for gaming instead of an ugly see through GUI. I feel sorry for the fools that went out and bought that $hit. Isn't it funny how they still sell XP right next to Vista on the shelves? Obviously people don't like Vista, or they wouldn't be selling XP for almost the same price as Vista home premium.

P.S. Software developers shouldn't have to write their programs to conform to Vista. Everything from windows 2000 worked in XP, so what makes Vista any different. 16 million lines of bull$hit
    Last edited by m3thodandr3d; 2008-06-05 at 05:26 AM.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone who has a experience with pcs's knows that '98 was the best.
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

look up the PC Decrapifier. It made my HP work twice as fast out of the box.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by micromarty View Post
    Nice made up statistics. Vista is more efficient than xp and runs better in certain situations ...Vista manages memory better as well as multiple cores....so in those cases it performs better than xp.
    Sources? Can we get some more detail? Or did you just make that up like I did?
    To live, you have to lie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast