Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: This is a Load of Crap

Thanks

Default This is a Load of Crap
    Okay, so recently we had a huge english essay to write on Things Fall Apart, it was like 40% of our grade. I spent two weeks writing mine, and this other complete beyond hope idiot (im sure you know one) writes his in one night. I get an 83, he gets a 91. 91 my *** i read it and he misspelled half the thing, his grammar was awful, and his title was "Things Fall Apart Essay", she told us specifically not to have a title like that. The kid told me today that the only reason he got that grade is because his mom and the teacher are close, and she feels bad for him because he gets picked on. (And with good reason to, hes been punched in the face for something he says every friday for the last 3 weeks, usually about someone's mother or girlfriend) This is a load of crap how my grade goes from a high A to a high B to get his self esteem up. I haven't gotten a B all semester in any classes, and this is a load of crap. It isn't right how she grades someone better because of things that he causes himself. Not to mention, my friend lost 8 points on his English test from yesterday, and i lost 6, we both got +4 points extra credit, yet HE gets a 100, and i don't. Im going to my English teacher from last year with a copy of my essay, and the other kids if i can get a hold of it, and asking her to grade it (or them) and see what she thinks about it. If it comes out that she gives me an A and that kid a B or below or something. I will go back to that teacher and blow my top at her. Why should i have to work to get my grade back to a A- just for the other kids self esteem? Sorry for the long read, i had to vent, what do you all think?

EDIT: Here is the text from it, minus the cover page that i made and he didn't.

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe is a novel describing the African Igbo tribe culture, and its tragic destruction by Christianity. The story is about how the culture of the tribe changed with the arrival of Christian Missionaries. The Christian Missionaries had a huge negative impact on the Igbo tribe. The Missionaries taught the Gods of the tribe were not real, divided the tribe by convert members of the tribe to Christianity, and caused the tragic death and disgraceful burial of Okonoko.
    The Christians insult the Igbo's Gods and tell them that their Gods are not real. By saying their Gods are not real, Christians destroy all the Igbo tribe traditions and culture that revolves around their Gods. The Christians tell the tribe “All the gods you have are not Gods at all. They are Gods of decent who tell you to kill your fellow men and destroy innocent children. There is only one true God and He has the earth, the sky, you and me and all of us.” Christians used this tact to overpower the tribe because the Gods are a vital part of their culture. The Missionaries even want them to immediately make the transition to Christianity. While the Missionaries are doing their job, displacing the Igbo gods and trying to make them make an overnight change is not right. “We have now built a church and we want you to come every seventh day to worship the true God.” When Mr. Kiaga says "the true God" he is displacing the Igbo's Gods, and is trying to make them make an immediate switch, which will not happen because it will change everything they do. The Christian Missionaries did do their job in converting some of the tribe to Christianity, but there was a price.
    While the Christian Missionaries did their job and converted Igbo's, they also divided the tribe. While some members stayed with the Igbo culture, others went with the Christians, even splitting families apart. Although Nwoye had been attracted to the new faith from the very first day, he kept it a secret. "Although Nwoye had been attracted to the new faith from the very first day, he kept it a secret, he dared not go near the missionaries for fear of his father.” This situation is what caused the split in tribal families; parents stayed with Igbo traditions while the children converted to Christianity. The Missionaries did whatever they possibly could to convert the tribe members. Their stories interested many people in the tribe and convinced them to switch. "But whenever they came to a preach in the open marketplace or the village playground, Nwoye was there. And he was already beginning to learn some of the simple stories they told." The Missionaries were determined to convert members, and they did it by telling stories in open areas. They were just stories but it was enough to split families apart and cause conflict that would sometimes turn to tragic deaths.
    The Christians had disgraced Okonoko who tragically took his own life. Obierika blamed the commissioner for Okonoko's death by stating “That man was one of the greatest men in Umuofia. You drove him to kill himself; and now he will be buried like a dog…” This showed how strict and inflexible the Igbo tribe's traditions were. Okonoko killed himself out of grief*for the loss of his people's independence because he knows the Christians would finally take over and his fear of being punished under Christian law. While Okonoko was a great man, the Igbo will not bury him with honor. Because of their traditions, they cannot bury him because he killed himself and he has desecrated the earth. "'We cannot bury him, only strangers can. We shall pay your men to do it. When he has been buried, we will then do our duty.'" This shows how suicide is not tolerated in the Igbo tribe, and, no matter how great the man, they must follow their traditions and laws. The tribe members can't bury Okonoko, and this leads him to a disgraceful end.
    The story not only shows the Igbo tribe's culture but also how Christianity is spread. The Christians destroyed a lot of good things for the Igbo tribe. They displace their gods, split families, and cause the death and disgrace of one of their most valued members of their tribe. Overall the Christians arrival marked a new era for Umuofia who is one of white men ruling the tribe. As the Christian Missionaries will for power increases, Okonoko knew it would happen, and his sadness lead him to his own tragic death.

2ND EDIT: This is also a Level 2 (Lowest Level) 9th Grade English class. The reason i am in it is because English is my 3rd language, they felt i should be in there.
    Last edited by DoerrFan; 2008-06-01 at 12:01 AM.

...Your whole post should be an essay... named This is a Load of Crap

I know how ya feel man

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LukeGab View Post
    ...Your whole post should be an essay... named This is a Load of Crap

I know how ya feel man
    Eh? I don't get it.

Thanks though, just pissed off that she is a personal grader.

Thanks

I think you spelled your name wrong.

And writing the essay in one night sounds like me

And sometimes the simpliest of things are better!
    EDM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
    I think you spelled your name wrong.

And writing the essay in one night sounds like me

And sometimes the simpliest of things are better!
    I did not.

Not surprised.

Im not mad about getting a B, im mad about him getting an A with something that a 5th grader could have written with better spelling and grammar. Worse he MADE UP the quotes. Thats what im mad about.

Thanks

So whats the big deal then? It would be a much bigger issue of you got a C and he got an A..

You're still passing its not a big deal in my opinion, Guess you are just one of those paranoid people about their grades.
    EDM

Thanks

So whats the big deal then? It would be a much bigger issue of you got a C and he got an A..

You're still passing its not a big deal in my opinion, Guess you are just one of those paranoid people about their grades.
    Its a big deal because my average drops to a B to get his self esteem up.

Passing isn't good enough for me, yes i care about my grades. I'd like to go to a good college and on top of that if i get straight A's all year my parents promised me a new iMac. I just need to get my English to an A before the end of the term and i have a new computer, and i don't like it being jeopardized by some teacher.

Thanks

I have a D in Algebra 2 .. I guess ask the teacher whats the deal.. or extra credit...

Or you can always pull out the Racism card
    EDM

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zeal For This Useful Post:

Aiyo (2008-06-01), DoerrFan (2008-06-01)

I could see why "Things Fell Apart"

Thanks

Or you can always pull out the Racism card
    Hmmm thats not a bad idea if all else fails.
    Im not from the States you see

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DoerrFan View Post
    Hmmm thats not a bad idea if all else fails.
    Im not from the States you see
    lol, Psst Thanks button
    EDM

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

maybe the other person was sleeping with the teacher...have you considered it lol

Thanks

Wouldnt you know?

Now we know how you got Super Moderator rank
    EDM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by .:MirrorminD:. View Post
    maybe the other person was sleeping with the teacher...have you considered it lol

I would not put it past the kid.

currently studying Copyright and Design Law.. :/ :S any help appreciated
    Thanks is an acknowledgment

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
    currently studying Copyright and Design Law.. :/ :S any help appreciated
    Stealing is bad, Laws are made to be broken... And you are allowed to "copyright" if you sight the author or ask them first
    EDM

I'd go up to the kid and beat the living crying crap out of him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GregTheWang View Post
    I'd go up to the kid and beat the living crying crap out of him.
    Its not his fault for this. But i have twice.
    Once when i was 7, and another last month when he made comments about my girlfriend

It was a great day.

Thanks

Your girlfriend is fat.
    EDM

Quote Originally Posted by DoerrFan View Post
    Its not his fault for this. But i have twice.
    Once when i was 7, and another last month when he made comments about my girlfriend

It was a great day.
    I doubt you even beat him up, I bet you just punched him once and walked away.

Also, your girlfriend's a slut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast