Results 1 to 18 of 18

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Leaving the Country

  1. #1
    Default Leaving the Country
    Hey Guys,

    Im going out of the country and want to take my iphone for the plane...i remeber reading horror stories of people taking there phone to other countries and when they came back they had this 3,000 usage charge. What do i need to do to make sure my phone isnt broadcasting?

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    1. Remove your sim card
    2. If it's unlocked, buy a local prepaid sim

  3. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by watsgoodg View Post
    Hey Guys,

    ].i remeber reading horror stories of people taking there phone to other countries and when they came back they had this 3,000 usage charge. ]
    Ya that happens when you leave your current SIM card in and use it in a foreign country. Im leaving for Europe tuesday (plan on visiting 10 countries in 2 months) and i bought a pre-paid SIM card online which gives 1 low rate for all of Europe (like $.40/min) when calling Canada/US. My regular carrier would normally charge $2/min for this.

    Just google 'global sim card' and choose one one of them, i chose 1 after a few hours of research. I wont post it here cause its spam but PM me if you want to know.

  4. #4
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,033
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 143 Times in 138 Posts

    or you can use your current sim but make sure data roaming is off AND download bossprefs and turn off EDGE just to be sure that it really is off. just be mindful that obviously every time you use the phone to talk or text you'll be charged. if you get a phone call and not answer it and have it forwarded to vm, i believe you may get charged for that too

  5. #5
    man at&t sure screws you over...jeez. I have tmobile on my other phone and i was fine in mexico..voicemails didnt count as far as i remember

  6. #6
    Thanks guys for the great information...what app do i need to download to unlock my phone for any sim?

    I found a package called AnySIM Upgrade Version 1.2.1u is this all i need?
    Last edited by watsgoodg; 2008-05-29 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  7. #7
    hi guys,
    is this for leaving usa to go to other countries or will the same precautions apply to leaving other countries and visiting the USA? I have a non-at&t account . Please enlighten.
    thx

  8. #8
    I have an at&t account and will be going to italy.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by watsgoodg View Post
    Thanks guys for the great information...what app do i need to download to unlock my phone for any sim?
    Well that a whole other subject, they need to what your OS is to answer, i use a mac and iLiberty+ very simple, WinPWN (something like that) is supposed to be good for the opposite (of an OS ) but I'll leave it to the experts.

    Quote Originally Posted by irsha
    hi guys,
    is this for leaving usa to go to other countries or will the same precautions apply to leaving other countries and visiting the USA? I have a non-at&t account . Please enlighten.
    thx
    Probably have to check with your carrier but yeah a buddy of mine from the Philippines can mangled on his charges while working here in the states. "If it ain't local you will probably pay for it through the *&^%#"

    Quote Originally Posted by 88five-oh View Post
    man at&t sure screws you over...jeez.
    Even if you are a loyal customer of years of service with out a late payment
    Last edited by sciberjack; 2008-05-30 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  10. #10
    so back to my original question...i have version 1.1.3 and i want to unlock it for any sim?

  11. #11
    Use iDemocracy 3.

  12. #12
    iPhone? More like MyPhone my2AWDgst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sacramento CA
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by freakoftheindustry View Post
    1. Remove your sim card
    2. If it's unlocked, buy a local prepaid sim
    +1
    DSM fan
    ...16GB 3G Iphone...

  13. #13
    any suggestions on a prepaid for the Bahamas???

    Getting married Wednesday and going there next weekend.
    http://www.modmyi.com/siggen/sigs/801120092.png



    Life's short so have a blast. Give God a good laugh, tell him YOUR big plan.

  14. #14
    Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,113
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked 152 Times in 129 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sciberjack View Post
    any suggestions on a prepaid for the Bahamas???

    Getting married Wednesday and going there next weekend.
    LOL! Good Luck!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPie View Post
    LOL! Good Luck!
    Thanks but we been long time Best Friends (20+) years. Jr. High Sweethearts even...

    N E Ways (got that from my teenager, is that cool or should I drop it )

    I found this website telestial dot com, has anybody dealt with them? they are supposed to have prepaid sims for almost every country out there.

    little spendy for Bahamas but good cheap one for the US.

    Any input would be helpful.
    http://www.modmyi.com/siggen/sigs/801120092.png



    Life's short so have a blast. Give God a good laugh, tell him YOUR big plan.

  16. #16
    Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,113
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked 152 Times in 129 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sciberjack View Post
    Thanks but we been long time Best Friends (20+) years. Jr. High Sweethearts even...

    N E Ways (got that from my teenager, is that cool or should I drop it )

    I found this website telestial dot com, has anybody dealt with them? they are supposed to have prepaid sims for almost every country out there.

    little spendy for Bahamas but good cheap one for the US.

    Any input would be helpful.
    Depends,on WHAT you will do on Bahamas. If you would like to SMS,then use BiteSMS,If to call,you need to BUY a local SimCard in there.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPie For This Useful Post:

    sciberjack (2008-05-31)

  18. #17
    was wanting to call but i guess I will have to commit the ultimate sacrifice and go with out for 4 days

    bad enough that I dislocated my wrist last week and can play golf on one of the best courses in the world or even get to go scuba diving in those beautiful waters. instead i get to take my sweetie shopping and to spa treatments and etc.... I did tell her this trip is all about her so I guess God stepped in and made sure I kept my promise.

    I appreciate the tip on the messaging though.
    Last edited by sciberjack; 2008-05-31 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    http://www.modmyi.com/siggen/sigs/801120092.png



    Life's short so have a blast. Give God a good laugh, tell him YOUR big plan.

  19. #18
    whats up with the spplication anySIM 1.2.1u ????? Does this work???

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •