Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Random Forum Idea[s]

Default Random Forum Idea[s]
    Would anyone else be interested in seeing a link that takes you to a list of unanswered threads? I think it would be especially useful for individuals that are having issues with their iPhone/iTouch. Their questions could be answered quicker. Or that next 'Hot' topic for discussion could also be found quicker

I dunno. I was once a member of the ATS forums [Above Top Secret]. That site had a similar section that aided in discussion. I'm not saying copy it, but the premise of the idea sounds good.
    Last edited by Ha_Xiu; 2008-05-27 at 07:30 AM. Reason: fixed some things :D
    Check out the Wallpaper I make and be sure to rate! If you have any requests, please let me know. Enjoy

My iPhone is a Part of Me MattMac's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha for people like you who posted this 3 hours ago and only just gotten a reply? Sounds all right. But it would get spammed with the same questions all the time...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by MattMac View Post
    Haha for people like you who posted this 3 hours ago and only just gotten a reply? Sounds all right. But it would get spammed with the same questions all the time...
    Well that's why I titled this topic random. Maybe the Moderators can come up with a point system that all users have that would demerit points. Points could be subtracted from a user if they made a thread that wasn't necessary because the user neglected to properly search first. I'm still a fairly new member on this forum. I had a lot of questions about my iPhone modding/ customization, but I knew to look before I asked an asinine question.

If only Common Sense was common.
    Check out the Wallpaper I make and be sure to rate! If you have any requests, please let me know. Enjoy

My iPhone is a Part of Me MattMac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ha_Xiu View Post
    If only Common Sense was common.
    Was that directed at me?

I think that there should be a system that anyone below, say 100 or 250 posts is prompted with a search engine and you must search before you can post...
    Offenders of asking pervious questions would have to suffer from the search screen again for a period of time...

But I like the idea for the unanswerd posts. I like being the first to help.
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by MattMac View Post
    Was that directed at me?

I think that there should be a system that anyone below, say 100 or 250 posts is prompted with a search engine and you must search before you can post...
    Offenders of asking pervious questions would have to suffer from the search screen again for a period of time...

But I like the idea for the unanswerd posts. I like being the first to help.
    First off, i need to apologize. I must of have worded myself incorrectly. The common sense statement wasn't directed at you. It was meant to be about the noobs who ask asinine questions. And I'm glad you like the points system. It will effect me though for a bit, and I dont even ask questions. yet.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ha_Xiu For This Useful Post:

screamforme02 (2008-05-28)

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

i was just thinking about suttin like this. make a button for a person that started the thread. when he/she gets there answer they just hit the button. and thread shows up as answered
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Default Thread Subscription Mode:
    When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Agreed, might be helpful. Might also be a huge lag on server. I'll check into it..

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

also you would need to check to see if the board can support the software mod as well

Quote Originally Posted by .:MirrorminD:. View Post
    also you would need to check to see if the board can support the software mod as well
    Thats a given. But there's a lot of talented individuals on this site. I wanna hope for the best.

Thanks

I really like this idea.
    EDM

Thanks

Forum themes:
    Giving the user to choose how they want the forum to look using predefined themes or allowing the user to make their own. (only is shown for that user)

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aiyo View Post
    Forum themes:
    Giving the user to choose how they want the forum to look using predefined themes or allowing the user to make their own. (only is shown for that user)
    that sounds like that may be a server hog. but what do i know. no seriously what do i know
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Quote Originally Posted by Aiyo View Post
    Forum themes:
    Quote Originally Posted by screamforme02 View Post
    that sounds like that may be a server hog. but what do i know. no seriously what do i know
    I've seen this work before on other forums. Just have nothing too elaborate as far as the theme choices. And these themes would have to be Moderator defined. I.E. - 1984 MAC OS Theme JK.

Added: Plus your main server hogs now are the repetitious threads, that would hopefully be cut back by the "point system" or something to that effect.
    Last edited by Ha_Xiu; 2008-05-28 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added a sentence. :D

Thanks

Heh, not at all. the main server hogs are Search and Downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Heh, not at all. the main server hogs are Search and Downloads.
    Well I blow smoke out my arse every now and again.

We do have infractions if a user breaks a rule. 3 strikes and you're out.

I think it's also worth noting that ipodtouchfans' reputation system was just disabled because of abuse.

well I guess I have been a serious server hog because searching and downloading is about all i have been doing since I joined. I am trying to become a little more active but I do like the points idea with the automated search. It took me a while to figure out where to actually search for certain things.

I know the automated email thing would be nice because I wanted to watch a few of the ?s that were asked and to see if there were any answers, or new ones that may have solved a similar issue that I have run across. Still haven't gotten all the bugs out of hacking my iPhone, but I am getting braver with every factory reset and rehack now that I know I wont create a brick doing it I hope

Thanks

Heh, search away. Server stuff is not for you to worry about.

I think a way that everyone can help fight the repeated question problem, is by helping us make guides. Everyone is allowed to contribute:

Main Page - ModMyI - Wiki

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast