Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac Mini N00b

Thanks

Default Mac Mini N00b
    ok, i have used PC's all my life. i have been tempted by a mac mini for a while, but don't really know what i need.
    i went to the apple store in cambridge earlier today and played with the mac mini for a while and spoke to the guy, basically, as i understand, i just need to buy a mac mini and then plug in my mouse, keyboard and monitor from my pc and away we go?? ....

please can someone tell me if this is right.....

also, if i buy one off ebay, what are the risks with a second hand one apart from the obvious warranty etc.

and, if the mac develops a fault and i don't have the install discs is there any way to use an online downloadable file to put the relevant OS on again (im not asking for links here just want to know if its possible)

and also, all this tiger leopard os x stuff, can someone please explain this. im used to windows xp or windows vista over here.

any help would be greatly appreciated. i am a self confessed mac n00b.

Thanks

Dont worry, I was almost in your shoes back in Dec-Jan.

1) Yup, practically all you have to do is plug in your mouse,monitor, keyboard and your ready to go. Once you start it, you will go through SIMPLE set up and after that.. ENJOY YOUR MAC..!

2) You can buy one off ebay, but you don't get a warranty and maybe not even the install disks. But most likely you will get the install disks and the manual too. Its just better to get one from apple. I say that because you get a warranty, help, and everything that you need for your mac. If you dont like it, and you still have your warranty, you can return it. Risks..hmm its used? lol

3)I dont think you can get em for free. You can look around on torrent sites and such. Maybe talk to the Apple Peoples.. You might have to pay to get one.

4) All Macs that come from apple are installed with Leopard OSX. Which is the latest Macintosh operating system! Best EVER!!

anything else just PM me and hit that thanks button!! -Aiyo

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

Awaiting my Mac Mini in the next 2 weeks, still writing on my WinXP/ Leo 10.5.2 Dual Boot Pentium Hackintosh...

Apple had a loooong delay in shipping the mini because I wanted the wireless keyboard and the wireless mighty mouse.
    If I could help you with my answer give me a

Thanks

ok, so i bought a mac mini. am very happy with how simple and easy it was/is to setup and run.

just getting to grips with it, but, one snag regards my iphone.

i transferred my music over to my mac and into itunes etc. (so much tidier than on windows may i add) and clicked sync to get the iphone synced with the new machine, but forgot about the contacts part

now i have lost all my contacts from my iphone, however, they are on my windows desktop in ".contact" format.

how can i take these contacts into my mac addressbook and sync?

thanks in advance.

Reeko

if you still have your windows machine, save your contacts as vcards through outlook (right?) and then import those vcards on your mac mini in the adressbook app

btw congratz on the mini ; i started out with one of those as well. i now have my mini, an iMac 20" and about to buy a macbook in 2 days :-p --> mac is awesome

Bought a Mac Mini refurbished from Apple site. It's still working and I maxed out the memory. Have fun.

Thanks

yo thanks for your help. i don't actually use outlook express on my windows machine, never had done so was looking for a vcard converter,

i found that by clicking "new message" in outlook, drag dropping all the contacts into the email, then drag dropping them out again as vcards worked great and went straight into my address book. and i didnt even need to sign up for outlook or anything.

loving my mac already... blown away by the ease of use compared to windows, although i have only just realised that "alias" means "shortcut"..... lol

thanks again.

lol @ the alias-discovery.
    yeah mac is so much easier and intuitive than windows
    you'll just keep on enjoying it.