Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I want a screen i can write on ONLY! please help

Default I want a screen i can write on ONLY! please help
    hey everyone. i am a college student and when i take notes or do equations i use SOO much paper and i end up not storing them and just throwing them away. so i want a tablet that i can use strictly for notetaking. i love my mac so i dont need another computer. basically i dont even want the keyboard or anything like that. i just want a flat screen that i can write and save all my notes, kinda like a digital binder. ill probably just run windows on it since theres more software for it, but like i said just strictly a screen that has a built in harddrive, nothing huge, maybe wifi so i can send my notes over to my mac, optical drive not needed, usb ports needed. something basic. it doesnt need a huge cpu and ill upgradable ram would be nice. i dont wanna spend much. a couple hundred. strictly for not taking. anyone have any recommendations? please help. thanks!

Thanks

haha your asking for a "...i dont know what to call it..." computer (like a computer but only a screen with all computer functions but touch screen with no buttons )

I dont thing they have those yet. unless you get a tablet laptop.

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

Thanks

Modbook
    Macbook Tablet Style!

Thanks

Whoa, thats sick!

i found it. i know what i want. actually i bought it today from ebay. check out the motion computing M1400. heres a pic

all that minus the dock. i dont need it.

this is a better pic.

so i guess i found my "screen that i can write on" lol.

Thanks

I'd go with the Modbook. Thats so cool! Just like a mac laptop but you can take out the CD drive and put in another hard drive.

considering the modbook costs like over $2000 and i am a broke college student, i thought i would stick with this tablet, and convert it into a hackintosh for free. this cost me like $125 and i need an HD which is like $40 bucks and a power adapter for like $20 so not bad for taking ALL my chem notes. keep them all organized.

Thanks

ohh.

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

word. and i thought the modbook was pushing 5 grand cuz its total custom. let us kno how that little tablet proforms when you get it up and running
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

very nice, any tablet PC would work for your needs. Decent choice

so i got my tablet yesterday and have been playing with it all night! its AMAZING! i mean i use one at work too, but this one is MINE! lol. anyways so far so good. it came with a 1.1GHz Intel Pentium M centrino processor, 512 MB ram. i added a 60GB HD (small i know, but i have a 320GB external drive on the way). ive never used my tablet at work for HW and stuff so this is great! im using Microsoft One Note. its a awesome program. im going to try and install Mac OSx 10.5 on it later. im gonna norton ghost it so i have a copy of windows as a back. i am sure i will run into a lot of trouble getting it to work but its worth it. its stable, get a lil hot but ive been using it forever. battery is okay pushing 2 Hours on a charge. so far so good. i would recommend getting one if ur in the market. i got it used on ebay for $125, $35 for the HD, $25 for the power adapter and its all set. $185 for a very nice tablet PC. not bad. im gonna upgrade the ram to 2GB. i still love my mac though lol.

Thanks

wow thats a wicked good deal, i want one just to have now. lol. glad to hear it worked out for you

Thanks

haha, i would like one =] I love to draw and make art so it would be perfect for me. Always wanted a tablet! I need one with a lot of HD space and reasonable ram(1GB is ok but i prefer 2+)

Thanks

Whoa that's cool. Question...can you plug in a keyboard and mouse?

Buying a PC is pointless. Everyone rants and raves about the price of a mac. But look at how long they last when compared to a PC desktop/notebook. I have gone through 4 PC notebooks in the last 3 years. I use my computer heavily. I recently purchased a macbook and have never been happier or more proud with my purchase.

Not only has my macbook not slowed down a bit, but it's by far easier to use and it never fowls up. And if it ever did, I can just take it to one of my god knows how many, local apple stores. Can you do that with a PC? Nope.

Having said all that, I guess I could have just done this.......... MAC > PC

Quote Originally Posted by Aiyo View Post
    haha, i would like one =] I love to draw and make art so it would be perfect for me. Always wanted a tablet! I need one with a lot of HD space and reasonable ram(1GB is ok but i prefer 2+)
    ya if i can find a good deal ill get two 1GB sticks in theres. lets see what ebay can dish out for me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    Whoa that's cool. Question...can you plug in a keyboard and mouse?
    yes. u can just use the two USB 2.0 slots or u can use bluetooth. they also sell this 'stand' that the laptop attaches too and turns it into a laptop. but u can fold it or anything. u just prop the screen up and the keyboard attaches through a serial port on the bottom of the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by french bum View Post
    Buying a PC is pointless. Everyone rants and raves about the price of a mac. But look at how long they last when compared to a PC desktop/notebook. I have gone through 4 PC notebooks in the last 3 years. I use my computer heavily. I recently purchased a macbook and have never been happier or more proud with my purchase.

Not only has my macbook not slowed down a bit, but it's by far easier to use and it never fowls up. And if it ever did, I can just take it to one of my god knows how many, local apple stores. Can you do that with a PC? Nope.

Having said all that, I guess I could have just done this.......... MAC > PC
    yes sirr. i definitely agree. i love my macbook pro. but i only bought this for taking notes in class and its amazing. i paid like $2100 for my macbook pro with the apple care. bought it new off ebay. it was a great deal. but i wouldnt pay retail for a modbook. im happy with this thing so far. i do a lil bit of websurfing here and there, but i use my mac for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by screamforme02 View Post
    wow thats a wicked good deal, i want one just to have now. lol. glad to hear it worked out for you
    thank you! today was the first time i took it to school and man i got so many complements and weird stares lol. even the professor was like "WOW is that one of those tablets?" that was kinda funny. but no one seen this type of tablet before. i dunno, i didnt think it was a big deal until people started asking me about it. taking notes was such a breeze! no more shuffling through papers and using 4 colored pens and highlighters lol. technology, gotta love it!

I found for note taking, I liked to record lectures. I dunno, worked for me.

well when the class is about 450 students its kinda hard to record lectures. but for my small classes i did it and it helped me too.

450 large? Good lord that's alot of people.

Thanks

yeh god bless america and there super huge class rooms. glad to hear its working for you. and u quoted me. lol it is funny how people react to tech its awsome especialy stuff they dont see all the time... i still get looks and "can i see that" with my phone... still hasnt got me laid tho. errr lol

for ur gig sticks of ram go to newegg.com. i just got 2x 2 gig sticks for 70 bucks free shipping. thats also a great deal. i mean come on 70bucks for 4 gigs
    Last edited by screamforme02; 2008-05-16 at 07:51 AM.