Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Leopard Registration Check

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kitsune's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Leopard Registration Check
    Hey everyone, question for you.

Basically I am buying a new MacBook soon, but rather than pay for two copies of Leopard, my friend let me borrow his disc to install it on my Powerbook. It might just be me, but I don't feel I need to spend $130 extra on something I will get within a month.

Anyway, any chance an Apple Store will check registration or anything like that because I need to take it in to get the trackpad repaired. Sadly I need this for school and despite getting a new one soon, I can't do much or sell it for much if the trackpad is busted.

Should I reinstall Tiger or am I fairly safe?

iPhone? More like MyPhone rxmxsh's Avatar
    Thanks

i vote safe. I installed on my MB and iMac w/no probs. I don't think they would check registration on you, and if they did, how could they know that YOU didn't buy it and lent it to your friend, or you bought it and had it installed on machine you no longer own... there are too many situations that you can come up with. I would expect authentication by next release.

I wouldn't worry about that at all, just think how much illegal software is out there that actually has registration.. Windows.. They can't do anything about it.

Crackers will always be ahead of the game. It's easier to take something apart and put it back together than build it from scratch.

You should reinstall Tiger. The OS is only licensed for ONE installation, your MacBook will come with disks for that machine only, if you want it on other machines, you need more copies. If you have several machines, buy the Family Pack.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    You should reinstall Tiger. The OS is only licensed for ONE installation, your MacBook will come with disks for that machine only, if you want it on other machines, you need more copies. If you have several machines, buy the Family Pack.
    Right, wasn't what he SHOULD do. You shouldn't speed, but you do. He's fine with what he's asking. He will not be caught.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kitsune's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I 'did' reinstall Tiger after all, but only because I didn't want to be asked to register my friend's copy of the disc, but when I receive my new MBP, I will not be buying a family pack. When I reach 5 Macs, I will probably give my support as I typically do and buy it, but for a G4PB and an MBP, I will stick to one copy for both.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
    I 'did' reinstall Tiger after all, but only because I didn't want to be asked to register my friend's copy of the disc, but when I receive my new MBP, I will not be buying a family pack. When I reach 5 Macs, I will probably give my support as I typically do and buy it, but for a G4PB and an MBP, I will stick to one copy for both.
    That's pretty much how I feel about it. For 2, it's way too much money. I'd rather pay $130, and then $15 more per computer...

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

they wont be able to do a damn thing to you if they find out its not registered or anything...how do they know if you were just to lazy to register or something like your internet went out before you did..you should be safe

Thanks

There is no registration, and they have no form of checking whatsoever