Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Be Aware Leopard Upgrading!

Default Be Aware Leopard Upgrading!
    If you currently have Tiger installed, and you are upgrading to Leopard, there is something you HAVE to be aware of.

If you have a APPLICATION ENHANCER and/or CLEARDOCK, you must uninstall them both before proceeding with the Leopard Upgrade. Otherwise it will F*%k up your install. It's happened to me, and everyone else. Basically, Leopard installs, and upon reboot you are stuck in this blue screen. There is a fix though, which requires a tedious method of removing files.

To avoid having to do the tedious procedure, I recommend to everyone, Prior to upgrading to Leopard to uninstall Cleardock & Application Enhancer.

For those of you who don't know:

Application Enhancer is a program by unsanity.com that allows you to install programs like Cleardock.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to uninstall Application Enhancer & Cleardock: Prior to Upgrading to Leopard

1. In Tiger, go to system preferences, and select Application Enhancer.

2. In application enhancer, select Cleardock in the left column, then click the "minus" symbol to remove it.

3. Then select the "Application Enhancer Troubleshooting" button.

4. Then select "Uninstall Application Enhancer"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it, Now you're ready to Install Leopard! Good Luck!

Cleardock is a program for Tiger that makes the background of your Dock, transparent.

Again, remove these programs prior to upgrading to leopard. It will save you a headache of trouble!

If you have not removed these programs and have started installing leopard, I urge you to check out the discussion forum @apple.com for the fix.
    Last edited by f00fighters; 2007-10-29 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Its stupid little problems like this that always make it a good idea to just do a clean install. Its more work at first, but it makes you back up all the things you should have already, leaves you with a nice clean fresh start, and prevents problems like stated above from happening. And I'm sure there are other 3rd party apps out there that will cause conflict.
    Iphoned & now using T-MO prepaid, Been playing w/ Apples for nearly 2 decades...

I had both of those installed (in fact XSounds and ShapeShifter too) and it did not mess up my install at all. Afterwards they obviously did not work but again my install went fine.

Your advice is 100% spot on ALL third party hacks should be uninstalled to save yourself grief, I simply forgot.

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

I'm in the exact situation as CyberGreg.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

I uninstalled mine a while back but I never could get rid of the shaded menus. They are like permanently stuck on there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -picture-1.jpg  

Yeah, it really screwed me up, I wish I would of read this before hand.

It wasn't too hard to fix, but I wish I didn't even have to do what I did!

Anyway, Loving Leopard!

i had them, i heard on the forums that its causing one hell of a mess so i uninstalled and installed leopard (archive and install, not upgrade) went without a hitch...gr8 system

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGreg View Post
    I had both of those installed (in fact XSounds and ShapeShifter too) and it did not mess up my install at all. Afterwards they obviously did not work but again my install went fine.

Your advice is 100% spot on ALL third party hacks should be uninstalled to save yourself grief, I simply forgot.
    Good to know, so it's a good possibility there were other contributing factors. Bottom line, is get rid of hack/mod-specific programs that were installed in Tiger to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by f00fighters View Post
    Good to know, so it's a good possibility there were other contributing factors. Bottom line, is get rid of hack/mod-specific programs that were installed in Tiger to be on the safe side.
    YES! that's always sound advice for any / all upgrades.

I upgraded with no problems, I used PS C2 and several other non-Apple app and they worked fine. Now I've put in a second drive and performed a clean install and am importing my upgraded info as I type. I'll reinstall all my apps and I'm curious if I see any difference in speed or glitches.

I'll post back if there's anything earth shattering