Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help in deciding laptop

What's Jailbreak? thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 564 Posts

Default Need help in deciding laptop
    Hi

I hope this doesn't get moved to another area as I felt this is where I should ask this question at.

I have always been a window person since dos.... I am looking to buy a new laptop and trying to decide if I should stay with windows or Mac? I was always the type that liked to explore the newest version of windows until Vista came out... I did not upgrade this time around due to what I heard about it and from what I seen at the stores the performance was slow... so I am still using XP at this time... also from what I have seen it appears that it is some what like a Mac? If it isn't someone please correct me...

Since everything has Vista on it I am rethinking what I should buy now...

I have never used a Mac before so it would be completely greek to me at this time... but I sure do love my iphone now that I have bought one and would not want to live without it.

So my question is what one should I buy? A windows laptop or Mac?

Thanks!

Thanks

Buy a Mac. I used to be a windows user since DOS and had an awesome Vaio with Win XP. I saw the power of Leopard and what a mac can do, so I asked for one for my b-day. And I got it! Souped up black Macbook is off the hook! I use windows on it using bootcamp. Its super fast and great. Plus you get the best of all worlds. If you get parallels you can use linux, windows and anything else Mac forever foo!

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

Thanks

Mac!
    If you need Windows, use VMware.

Thanks

What type of Mac laptop should I get as I know nothing but them at all... I was looking at their newest one but a lot of money!

Thanks so much!

Thanks

well it depends. what do you want and what do you do? Personally the black Macbook is good enough for me, but a macbook pro would be nice with that i do. (imaging, music making/mixing, school work, web, ect)

High end + top quality + $$$:
    Black Macbook with:
    # 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    # 4GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    # 250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    # SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    # Apple Remote
    # Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    # AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth
    total price :$1,918.00

Middle + Very Good + $$:
    White Macbook 2.4GHz
    Total price: $1,299.00

Sony Vaio TX1XP Ultra portable Carbon Fibre laptop
    Thanks is an acknowledgment

Thanks

vaios are nice but macs are better

Quote Originally Posted by Aiyo View Post
    vaios are nice but macs are better
    i had a macbook but i sold it as i cant stand the lack of right click. i'm more of a windows user and a chat freak so i hate it not having msn.. iphone maybe a factor that macs (used to) can use and customize but everything else, as i see it need always "something else" in order to work properly.

in a nutshell macs for me need constantly a workaround for everything and are too pricey.. (see macbook air (2500) in relation to vaio..(1300) still too much $$ but vaio is the elite in prices..)

but if ur a photoshop, music, or more clearly an artist in some area then a mac would suit you..

but whatever i say means nothing but my honest oppinion..

Macs

Pros:
    nice designs
    Quite fast when running "Universal" applications, as fast as some MacBook Pro models in some situations.
    virus-free
    Comes with remote
    Basic Computer (easy to operate)
    Built-in iSight camera for easy video conferencing
    Clever "MagSafe" connector helps protect the system from damage.
    Kick A** Software (Garage band, widgets etc.)

Cons:
    Integrated graphics "borrow" system RAM and are substantially slower than dedicated graphics.
    capabilities in certain programs
    pricey
    right click
    Mice and keyboards break too often
    poor battery life
    Hard to find "mac compatible" programs
    Noise Yup, this machine whines. Or hisses
    It is a whole new learning curve to use it.
    In many respects the MacBook Pro is a great machine, just the kind of evolutionary step forward the PowerBook needed. So, if your mission-critical PowerBook has just died on you and you need a top-range Apple laptop for your work right now, go buy one.

But if you can afford to wait a little longer, I think you should; (til June) revised models, hopefully without the irritations, will be appearing in coming months and they might well turn out to be a better choice in the long run.

Windows

Pros:
    Networking
    Media Center Improvements
    Major Audio Changes
    DirectX 10
    New Built-In Apps
    Aero Glass and the New UI
    Security, Security, and more Security
    Compatibility
    Built-in diagnostics
    Easy to fix
    Upgrades are very little money
    Many Capabilities (and mac programs are doomed to be windows friendly in the end [see itunes])

My verdict..

we all know about the flaws-pros-cons that windows have.. but more or less we can deal with them.. or know how to seek support.. now you know the pros/cons of a mac.. (btw correct me if i'm wrong in anything). My best suggestion is stick with windows if u have devices that may not work with a mac.. or if u're planning on having both operating systems just forget it.. the lack of right click makes it a pain in the a**.. so there u go hope i get a thanks for this

ps: again this is my position on the big war mac vs windows. i'm not a fan boy in either side, i just like to learn about stuff first before go buy one.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stocis For This Useful Post:

badangel (2008-04-24), oldskoolkid13 (2008-04-23), thetoothfairy (2008-04-23)

Thanks

i pesonally love my macbook
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Thanks

i use a windows key board and mouse on my mac =] yay for logitec and there wireless stuff!

Thanks

I want to thank you all for your input.... I have thought about this and thought about this decision..... it is so hard today.... I am a 50 year old geezer... LOL so I don't do what I used to do on a computer when I was younger... times sure have changed... I guess I am considered to be a computer nerd, and I like all the cool things that the iphone does... die hard computer nerds may not need or like what the iphone does but for me it is really a treat!

I was going to buy a dell but cancelled my order today.... for one it was supposed to be delivered yesterday and when I called they told me the parts were on back order....

I did not know about Vaios until tonight...

What I did was ordered a Mac to see if I like it and if I don't I will send it back... I thought a Mac would be fun to use... in reality this is a toy... I live in Michigan during the Summer time and go to my Florida home during the winter time and I got tired of dragging my desktop with me...

So this new laptop would be for my use at my Florida home and of course when I come back to Michigan I would bring it back here...

As far as any laptop.... I don't care for them as much as a desktop computer...

After reading what Stocis stated... I wonder if I made the right choice at this time?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

try it, then if you dont like it ship it back. I have been patiently waiting for the new macs to come out b/c I too am making the pc to mac conversion. Man I can't wait...and oh yeah the iphone kicks a**!!

I had to laugh when i heard macs have poor battery life....
    my mac brand new had a 4 hour battery, on a single charge thats impressive concidering thats with full brightness and actually using the hard drive...it wasnt in low power crap mode...right now i have a 51% battery and i still have 2:03 hours left

macs are better than PCs

Thanks

Well this is my reason to try to change over to a Mac...

1. Everything is going to Vista and I think Vista is some what like the Mac and Vista is full of bugs, bugs and more bugs. I would have to say at this time not knowing what the Mac feels like that it has to be way more stable than Vista....
    2. The way the iphone is it came from the Mac platform
    2. I am not a heavy gamer
    3. I can have the best of both worlds.... Mac and Windows XP
    4. Elegance
    5. I am a graphic artist
    6. Plus I am older now and a empty nester and I deserve to have the toys I want in life... and who cares what they cost.... I have worked very hard to get where I am at today...
    7. And how many people bought the iphones? And why?

I haven't even got my Mac yet but Bill Gates is pushing everyone away because of Vista.... I build computers and trouble shoot them and over the years what a struggle it has been through some of those versions of windows.... blue screen of dealth, lockups, reformatting every so many days, irq conflicts etc... etc....

My destop is supposed to be able to handle Vista but then again you don't know until you install it.

As far as I am concerned XP is the best...

So I thought why not try the Mac and see what it is like... and use XP on it also...

And in the end we, us die hards out here will always chase Technology right?

By the way when are the new Mac's supposed to come out? And what is the spec's on them? Maybe I should have waited?????
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 2008-04-23 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Macs = less trouble because you dont get stupid windows pop ups that will download you a virus. Macs are virus free.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

MacBook Pro!!!!

Thanks

As I was crusing the net I ran across this site as I did a search for....
    windows vs mac and I had to laugh at this picture on this site.... hope I don't get into trouble for posting this link...

http://themacnewbie.blogspot.com/200...ys-it-all.html

But the picture is so true.... I can see the difference just from using the iphone and other versions of windows.... this pic just cracks me right up!

I remember those days very well...

Quote Originally Posted by LordSati View Post
    I had to laugh when i heard macs have poor battery life....
    my mac brand new had a 4 hour battery, on a single charge thats impressive concidering thats with full brightness and actually using the hard drive...it wasnt in low power crap mode...right now i have a 51% battery and i still have 2:03 hours left

macs are better than PCs
    7hours 15minutes..

Quote Originally Posted by theetoothfairy View Post
    2. The way the iphone is it came from the Mac platform --- couldnt agree more, but i have at least 10 more devices that use windows..
    2. I am not a heavy gamer ---- Too bad
    3. I can have the best of both worlds.... Mac and Windows XP -- not really if you ask me
    4. Elegance -- i prefer the beauty of a vaio rather having the same laptop as everyone in starbucks
    5. I am a graphic artist -- thats the only reason to buy one if you ask me
    6. Plus I am older now and a empty nester and I deserve to have the toys I want in life... and who cares what they cost.... I have worked very hard to get where I am at today... --- hehehehe
    7. And how many people bought the iphones? And why? -- ipod, mac, iphone.. and going
    I haven't even got my Mac yet but Bill Gates is pushing everyone away because of Vista.... I build computers and trouble shoot them and over the years what a struggle it has been through some of those versions of windows.... blue screen of dealth, lockups, reformatting every so many days, irq conflicts etc... etc....
    What does Jobs do then?? Saying every day that windows suck macs rule blah blah.. what is so great about apple ? high priced devices that dont fit in without sacrifices.. BUT NOOO.. check the iphone for example: stock. it has?? phone, sms, safari, webmail, pictures, .. . wow great phone lets go buy it apple funboys! On the contrary.. i hated that phone because it was a piece of crap. BUT now that this phone does what it does, has such a community, etc etc.. then obviously it worths the price! Think about it.

My destop is supposed to be able to handle Vista but then again you don't know until you install it.

1. As far as I am concerned XP is the best...

So I thought why not try the Mac and see what it is like... and use XP on it also...

2. And in the end we, us die hards out here will always chase Technology right?

3. By the way when are the new Mac's supposed to come out? And what is the spec's on them? Maybe I should have waited?????
    1. Vista Ultimate x64 is faster and more practical by far.

2. technology is a windows thing. not a mac where everything is not to be opened/processed/customise.. you'd be lucky if you get to replace the battery after a while.. thats not the issue in a windows laptop.

3. june 10th.. macbook aluminium.. but its a speculation.. (a little birdy told me)

As I was crusing the net I ran across this site as I did a search for....
    windows vs mac and I had to laugh at this picture on this site.... hope I don't get into trouble for posting this link...

http://themacnewbie.blogspot.com/200...ys-it-all.html

But the picture is so true.... I can see the difference just from using the iphone and other versions of windows.... this pic just cracks me right up!

I remember those days very well...
    exactly!

the mac guy will have a covered up engine that does what it does and thats it. if he wants service, oil change, or any other upgrade.. he has to buy a new car..

the windows guy will have problems.. so yeah maybe he would have to go to the factory shop, format the chip, change the transmission, put a bigger engine, install a gps system, rear spoiler, fenders, blue neons, turbocharger, rally wiring.. but he can..
    Last edited by stocis; 2008-04-23 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stocis For This Useful Post:

badangel (2008-04-24), thetoothfairy (2008-04-23)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
    7hours 15minutes..

What does Jobs do then?? Saying every day that windows suck macs rule blah blah.. what is so great about apple ? high priced devices that dont fit in without sacrifices.. BUT NOOO.. check the iphone for example: stock. it has?? phone, sms, safari, webmail, pictures, .. . wow great phone lets go buy it apple funboys! On the contrary.. i hated that phone because it was a piece of crap. BUT now that this phone does what it does, has such a community, etc etc.. then obviously it worths the price! Think about it.

1. Vista Ultimate x64 is faster and more practical by far.

2. technology is a windows thing. not a mac where everything is not to be opened/processed/customise.. you'd be lucky if you get to replace the battery after a while.. thats not the issue in a windows laptop.

3. june 10th.. macbook aluminium.. but its a speculation.. (a little birdy told me)

exactly!

the mac guy will have a covered up engine that does what it does and thats it. if he wants service, oil change, or any other upgrade.. he has to buy a new car..

the windows guy will have problems.. so yeah maybe he would have to go to the factory shop, format the chip, change the transmission, put a bigger engine, install a gps system, rear spoiler, fenders, blue neons, turbocharger, rally wiring.. but he can..
    But..... if you are like me you buy what you think you might like and see if it is what you wanted and give it a try.... if not return it....

When I build a computer thats it until I build another one again... I used to upgrade, upgrade upgrade the parts when new stuff came out... so in the long run was I saving any money by doing this every year? Nope I was spending much much more...

I can agree that everything is windows... and every business uses windows. But time for me to try something different as Vista just didn't ring my bell this time around.... I may have to eat my words later until I give the Mac a try but for now I have to get it and see what it is like...

If I don't like it I will send it back... and then buy a different laptop and get stuck with Vista. If your a technology chaser don't matter you will always be spending $$$$$ to keep up with it. There is no cheap solution!

But..... if you are like me you buy what you think you might like and see if it is what you wanted and give it a try.... if not return it....

When I build a computer thats it until I build another one again... I used to upgrade, upgrade upgrade the parts when new stuff came out... so in the long run was I saving any money by doing this every year? Nope I was spending much much more...

I can agree that everything is windows... and every business uses windows. But time for me to try something different as Vista just didn't ring my bell this time around.... I may have to eat my words later until I give the Mac a try but for now I have to get it and see what it is like...

If I don't like it I will send it back... and then buy a different laptop and get stuck with Vista. If your a technology chaser don't matter you will always be spending $$$$$ to keep up with it. There is no cheap solution!
    heh obviously its ur choice. different ppl different choices i hope u get what u want to get and be satisfied as well. i'm sorry i was the one against your choice, but hay i prefer being the ***** here rather than saying go make a rational purchase.

dont get me wrong here, i like helping others into buying what they want and at the same time know what they want.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stocis For This Useful Post:

badangel (2008-04-24), thetoothfairy (2008-04-24)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast