Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac Mini $599 vs. $799

Default Mac Mini $599 vs. $799
    Is the $200 difference in the two currently produced Mac Mini's worth the cost?

They differences are as follows:

1.83 Ghz vs. 2.0 Ghz
    2MB L2 Cache vs. 4MB L2 Cache
    CD Burner/DVD-Rom vs. CD Burner/DVD Burner
    80 GB HDD vs. 120 GB HDD

I currently have an external HDD and I don't play games on my PC. So would I be better off to save $200 and purchase an external DVD burner and have 2 drives and save wear and tear on my system's drive?

I will go with the less $
    and upgrade to a dual DVD burner.
    those things are easy to open and swap outa

ive got the $800 system with Core 2 Duo, gonna upgrade to 2Gb ram soon, as i dont think 1Gb will be enough for me & leopard lol

Spend the extra, you will kick yourself in the long run if you dont.

Sounds like the $600 is better for you =D

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

2MB L2 Cache vs. 4MB L2 Cache
    are you kidding? think multimedia!

The 2MB vs 4MB cache is not the real problem, it's the on-board video that all Mini's have. Regardless of the setup, you'll see maybe only 1/2 to 1/3 the effects that Leopard has to offer.

As far as the purchase recommendation, it depends on what you plan on doing. Unless you are going to be churning Photoshop actions or Maya rendering, you'll pretty much never see the 2/4 difference so save your money and put it towards RAM.

One of my Mini's is my eyeTV system and does pretty much nothing but record and playback video. Works great, it's an upgraded 1.83 Core Duo (was born a 1.5 Core Solo) with 2BG's of RAM.

Mini's rock...

I just want to be able multitask and not bog down my system to crawl. I was was running an openoffice calc document, running calulator, logged into two websites, two explore windows and the big one, decompressing a very large tar file and pretty much took my vista machine to the ground.

And its 4200+ x2 with 2gb of ram. I know vista is power hungry so the smaller mini should be able to do equal or better I would assume.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroGT View Post
    I just want to be able multitask and not bog down my system to crawl. I was was running an openoffice calc document, running calulator, logged into two websites, two explore windows and the big one, decompressing a very large tar file and pretty much took my vista machine to the ground.

And its 4200+ x2 with 2gb of ram. I know vista is power hungry so the smaller mini should be able to do equal or better I would assume.
    Okay, I'm going to sound like a fanboy here, but seriously, that doesn't happen with OS X. In fact my son bought one of my old Mini's and he just said to me a few days ago about how he's amazed he can do so much stuff with out it slowing down, like ripping a DVD w/Mac the Ripper, download a large movie file, creating a DVD image with Toast, surf the Internet, email, Quicken and playing music through iTunes. I'll reiterate though, OS X loves RAM. His Mini has 2GB's but see unlike Windows (every version) the OS doesn't take 1/2 right off the top. Wait let me check... On my MacBook OS X is using around... 350MB, so I have around 1.6GB available for apps.

Good luck with the Mini.

Decided to take the plunge. Selling my pc and I'm going full mac. Only wish I had an apple store in my local towns. Closest one is a two hour drive. I was told by the apple tech that the max mini will run all features of leopard fine. But I was also told that it take 5-7 days to ship. Therefore it may be a two hour drive for me to to pick one up after the leopard release or order it now and get it Friday or Monday and pay the ten bucks for leopard on Friday.

There's a rumor about that Apple will be introducing a replacement for the Mini; the "Nano".

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9791807-7.html