Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Er..how to setup a home network with 1 Wired... and 1 wireless?

Default Er..how to setup a home network with 1 Wired... and 1 wireless?
    hmm i guess this is the section thats most suited for this.. i was wondering.. i have 2 computer @ my house.. 1 is a laptop and 1 is a desktop. the desktop is connected through a wire to the router.. and the laptop is connected through wifi..

now before when i had 2 desktops.. i connected both with wires to the router, and i could share files between them.. but how do i do it when 1 is wireless and the other is wired.. i checked google.. nothin came up, anyone have ne suggestions?

Same as before. Check in preferences on your laptop and see if "sharing" is turned on.

sharing is on for both.. but i cant find the computer under my network places...

Thanks

Does your router have wireless capabilities? if not you will need to add a wireless access point to your setup. I ran this set up fro years until i got a new router that alows both wired and wireless connections.

I had previously a Linksys router and added a Linksys wireless access point hardwired to the router. Then I was able to use my wireless laptop and then iphone.

my router is linksys WRT54GL.. so its both wired and wireless.. desktop is connected via wire and laptop is using wireless... and the router is runnin Firmware tomato v0.7 i think..