Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need some info on possibly getting a Mac

Question Need some info on possibly getting a Mac
    I'm looking into Macs and I was curious what kinda of speed and memory I should be looking at...

I'm currently running a AMD 4200+ X2 w/ 2 GB RAM with Vista Home Premium.

I'm either wanting to have an additional system to slide into Macs or a total replacement.

What is the minimum system specs I should start with and what would be within reason for a replacement system. I have used Linux and know that a slower system with less memory can handle as well or better than a Windows System.

Thanx,
    MetroGT

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

A mac runs the same as twice the specs of the PC, so a 700mhz mac is nearly as fast as a 1.4g PC. This will allow you to buy a lesser system and retain your speed. Just shove them full of RAM and they breeze along.

Thanks

The newest Macs as you probably are already aware will run both OSX and Windows natively, no emulator required. So you literally have the best of both worlds. I run off 2GB of ram, and haven't had a problem yet. I do extensive work with Final Cut Studio, Photoshop, and others with no problems whatsoever.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,254 Times in 649 Posts

mac book pro

Wish I could afford to drop $2k on a Mac Book Pro, but I'm more in the neighborhood of a used iBook or possibly a Mac Mini.

Wish there was a way to run OSX on my system. (Quick google search is showing some possibilities)

I traded in an AMD Athlon 64FX 4800+ (Dual Core) with 4gb of RAM 512mb nVidia 7900GTX for an iMac 24 2.16ghtz C2D, 2GB Ram and 256MB nVidia 7300

I run a 50gb Bootcamp partition for Windows Vista 32 Ultimate and the rest (450gb) is all Mac.

Only reason I run the Vista at all is my Windows PCs were, as you can imagine, gaming machines.

The games run as well, if not better (read: Faster/Smoother) on my iMac as they ever did on the AMD hogs

Everything else is just a pure pleasure to run. Macs made my comutes fun again, instead of a chore to keep running

Quote Originally Posted by MetroGT View Post
    Wish I could afford to drop $2k on a Mac Book Pro, but I'm more in the neighborhood of a used iBook or possibly a Mac Mini.

Wish there was a way to run OSX on my system. (Quick google search is showing some possibilities)
    I also have a Mac Mini 1.8 Core Duo. it does amazingly well for a shared video machine

As for OS X on a Widows box, I believe it's possible. Look for something called OS X86
    Last edited by Murfunit; 2007-10-20 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Je t'aime encore, Roguette

I don't game on my PC anymore, so that isn't an issue.

I'm racking my brain right now for something I have to have Windows for and I'm not coming up with much... or really anything... other than the fear of the unknown. I have used Windows since the 90's.