Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: [READ] The Grid (New Internet!!)

  1. #21
    Livin the iPhone Life reeko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,562
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 164 Times in 135 Posts

    Sweet, all understood, except, somewhere i read there will be no need for hard drives. Everything will be stored on the grid. I mean, obviously people will store the hard drives, but i guess it would be like when you connect to a network and you have your own space to save files to, your limited to a space within the network. i guess with the grid people can buy or be alocated so much space on the grid each.

    also, how would this work? i struggle to understand how so so much space can be suddenly made available sought of in thin air....??

  2. #22
    iPhone? More like MyPhone spongebobiwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Beloit, WI
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts

    From what I have gathered, the good ole USA is quite far behind most places in Europe and many other parts of the developed world (i.e. Japan). My understanding is, that 20gbps is very commonplace speed in most of Europe, while 40gbps is common in Japan. I am currenly on 10gbps, soon to be upgraded to 16gbps, and that's about as fast as you can get in the USA for the most part.

    I'm thinking that the main reason for this must be the fact that so much fiber optic cable has already been laid in Europe and other places, while in the USA there is such a vast amount of the old cable, the task of replacing all of this with fiber is daunting.

    Another thing I've noticed (and probably for the same reasons) is that cellphone technology in the USA is also far behind Europe and other places. Where video conferencing with cellphones is quite commonplace for them from what I understand, here in the USA video conferencing is very limited.

    Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable then myself can add their 2 cents to this topic.

    All in all, the concept of the GRID, is really very appealing and and I think that it will develop as quickly as cable companies adapt to it. My guess is that this development may be quite different from one location to another (again, i.e. Europe vs. USA).

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by spongebobiwan View Post
    From what I have gathered, the good ole USA is quite far behind most places in Europe and many other parts of the developed world (i.e. Japan). My understanding is, that 20gbps is very commonplace speed in most of Europe, while 40gbps is common in Japan. I am currenly on 10gbps, soon to be upgraded to 16gbps, and that's about as fast as you can get in the USA for the most part.

    I'm thinking that the main reason for this must be the fact that so much fiber optic cable has already been laid in Europe and other places, while in the USA there is such a vast amount of the old cable, the task of replacing all of this with fiber is daunting.

    Another thing I've noticed (and probably for the same reasons) is that cellphone technology in the USA is also far behind Europe and other places. Where video conferencing with cellphones is quite commonplace for them from what I understand, here in the USA video conferencing is very limited.

    Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable then myself can add their 2 cents to this topic.

    All in all, the concept of the GRID, is really very appealing and and I think that it will develop as quickly as cable companies adapt to it. My guess is that this development may be quite different from one location to another (again, i.e. Europe vs. USA).
    You're close to the reason we're behind, but didn't hit the bullseye.

    The real reason the USA is lacking behind in communication technology is because of its geographical properties. The US has what, around 300 million people living here? I want to say Japan has around half of that. Now take living space. The USA is around 3.7 million square miles of land. Japan isn't even 150,000 square miles (California is bigger).

    That vast difference in size is why we fall behind. It takes so much more money and resources to work nationally on the US than it takes anywhere else. Japan is a nice paced island so its easy to keeps its infrastructure up to date. This is a nightmare in the US because of how spread out the cities are. At most you could keep the metropolitan areas up date but you would end up with something that looks like the current 3G network, just a small portion of the country is covered with it.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

    spongebobiwan (2008-04-12)

  5. #24
    Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,005
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 109 Times in 100 Posts

    yeah, our states our bigger than most countries.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

  6. #25
    What's Jailbreak? JohnBanks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Boston, Mass.
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Faster speeds, I'm all for it. As for storing data on 'the grid', no thanks. I'd much rather have my stuff on my computer than out there where it can be much more easily accessed.

    - John

  7. #26
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,302
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    I also don't think this would be the "normal" internet in most respects. Again look at the article where they're saying a movie or entire album collection (a GB or two) can be downloaded in a couple of seconds. Great, but do you think a 7200RPM hard drive can save the info at that speed? I wouldn't think so. The Grid servers, hubs and shubs would either A) have to be very very fast or B) buffered to the max.

    In the end, you're right, it's all about expense. Most of North America's main network trunks are already fibre, but for the moment that's where it ends (except for the places I mentioned before). We have alot of upgrading to do.
    Negatory. The rotary HD will be obsolete in a few yrs. Mac's are already in the new generation "flash HD's". We're using it right this second, not in the future.

  8. #27
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Negatory. The rotary HD will be obsolete in a few yrs. Mac's are already in the new generation "flash HD's". We're using it right this second, not in the future.
    Really. And where can I go and pick up a Mac today that has a flash HD instead of a cylinder HD?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  9. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Really. And where can I go and pick up a Mac today that has a flash HD instead of a cylinder HD?
    Unless I mistook what a flash HD is, here you go, for only $3000!

  10. #29
    My iPhone is a Part of Me m3thodandr3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    553
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 78 Times in 66 Posts

    To bad our hdd's can't even transfer data that fast. This would be completely useless. If you downloaded a movie that was 1GB, it would still take 3 minutes to transfer. Wait until they have something with a better bus speed and higher rpm than 7200.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out

  11. #30
    Livin the iPhone Life Aiyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    -heaven- San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 104 Times in 91 Posts

    well you can hook up your hd to your car and make it spin faster

    If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

  12. #31
    Livin the iPhone Life reeko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,562
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 164 Times in 135 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by m3thodandr3d View Post
    To bad our hdd's can't even transfer data that fast. This would be completely useless. If you downloaded a movie that was 1GB, it would still take 3 minutes to transfer. Wait until they have something with a better bus speed and higher rpm than 7200.
    this is what im trying to say! there won't be any harddrives, if you download something from the grid, you download it to your allocated space within the grid.

    playing music and videos will be effectively streaming them straight from the grid, as opposed to physically having them on your harddrive, however, the harddrive will still be an option obviously.

    this is the scary part im talking about. it would be good to stream music/videos straight to a laptop/desktop/handheld device in such a way, but i am personally not happy with every bit of info i would want on my computer being stored on the grid.

    although, i suppose it would properly be harder to hack into for hackers than my desktop right now??.... but could be monitored by internet companies/police/government etc. Scary......

  13. #32
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Unless I mistook what a flash HD is, here you go, for only $3000!
    Well I'll be damned. Although 64GB hardly seems worth it. Glad I stuck with getting a Macbook

    Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    although, i suppose it would properly be harder to hack into for hackers than my desktop right now??.... but could be monitored by internet companies/police/government etc. Scary......
    I'd say easier, you can always close off your desktop from the net. Can you imagine if the copyright police ever got ahold of your stash on the Grid? Although none of us would do anything illegal.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2008-04-15 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  14. #33
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    223
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    can you imagine how much piracy would increase. i cant see corporate america allowing for it to be that easy.

  15. #34
    Livin the iPhone Life Aiyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    -heaven- San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 104 Times in 91 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by unlockme View Post
    can you imagine how much piracy would increase. i cant see corporate america allowing for it to be that easy.
    hahaha, free adobe products for everyone!

    If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

  16. #35
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kissimmee, FL
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    The Grid network is nothing new for those following computing and networking trends. Grid like speeds have been around for a while. In fact years ago vendors of such technologies tried pushing them and making them more main stream and adoptable. ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) was one of them, it was pushing ahead until it met resistance by the brain dead critics and companies who thought that the network engineers of the day were to stupid to use something other then Ethernet. If this had not happened, you would be enjoying full video conferencing at home and doing all your voice, video, and Internet over one fiber optic cable.

    The Grid like the first Internet (Arpa / Darpa Net), was created for Academia, the Scientific community, and the government (Military, Etc..). It made its way to the public as more entities saw the benefit of sharing data and resources. More investment in linking more universities and the like. Rember even Scientists like to work from home, imagine doing all you work from the Arpanet at work, then coming home to a 1200baud modem to acces the net .

    Now here comes Internet two, Turbo Charged, not using 8lbs of boost, but 500lbs . Can you say the "Matrix" Access to the Grid is not going to be common, not for some time. We will probably see a Grid pipe in some of the big cities and you'll be offered access via a slower, down link.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •