Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Almost scammed by celes

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Almost scammed by celes
    Summary: paid him through paypal he refunded my money saying his account was limited, tries to get me to wire him money through western union, i refused. doesn't email me back. my paypal gets flagged in the process.

accounts he used:
    celes on modmyi
    [email protected] new paypal
    [email protected] beginning paypal
    [email protected] brother's paypal
    name he uses:
    Giorgos Papadakis

long story:
    This user had no posts or feedback and had joined in october.
    I was aware of this the whole time so I was being extra careful in dealing with him.
    He was going to send me an iphone and the picture was legit, with his username and even the receipt in the picture.
    So everything goes fine and I send him the money on paypal.
    This is when the deal goes sour, he says his account has been limited and refunds my money.
    He then tells me to send the money to his brother's paypal.
    This doesn't work.
    He gets very impatient, he wants the money right away - I don't understand what's his rush. At this point I'm even more suspicious.
    He then makes a new account on paypal and tells me to send the money to that.
    Doesn't work out either.
    Finally he says for me to transfer the money to him through WESTERN UNION.
    and I say hell no because there is no dispute system on western union!
    He tries other ways of getting me to pay him without going through paypal.
    Finally I refuse completely saying no deal unless it's through paypal.
    Hasn't emailed me since.
    Through this process my paypal account now gets flagged after being such a reliable user and I have to go through verification to be able to use it again!

He is not legit.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

ya you cant trust any of those people that post lists of phones to sell at ridiculously low prices. Good job sticking to your guns and demanding paypal.

Thanks

yes thank you. i just wish my paypal hadnt been effected in this whole mess.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Ya that sux. Hopefully it will go back to normal in time.

atleast you didnt loose your money thats goood, and thank u for the info on this dude

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

The very obvious first sign of bad selling is when he refunds the money and says his Paypal is limited. I've gotten my account limited before because too much money was coming in, Paypal got stupid suspicious and blocked my account until I verified my info. You can't do anything with a limited account, therefor he shouldn't have been able to refund you. He shouldn't even be able to login completely, it'll just say it is limited and hold all transactions. It's obvious he tried to make it look like he got limited and refunded because if the scam went thru with paypal, you would have been able to get your money back.

Sharp eye, good call, glad you made it out safely.

Thanks

Thanks. and thanks for the info I wasnt aware that he would not even be able to send me a refund. my paypal is working again but i've been having some trouble with Dimez now. I've been having some bad luck on these forums!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yeah, a limited account means no money in and no money out. But good thing you caught on that the money order request is very suspicious. I like to buy/sell on Craigslist. I might get less/pay more sometimes but I'd rather do that. I've dealt with bad eBay deals too so I don't bother with online shopping anymore. I'd rather see the product/show my product so that both parties leave happy. I got scammed when I sold my sidekick 3 on eBay back when it was one of the hottest phones. I never got my money but my phone went to Nigeria (before the Nigerian scams got really popular). But funny thing is, I got the phone back a whole year later lol, the mailing address was invalid. Got lucky. Well, my point is be careful when dealing online.