Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Selling Advice - iPhone 3G and 3GS

Default Selling Advice - iPhone 3G and 3GS
    I've got iPhone 4's on order for both my wife and I, so we'll be getting rid of the current hardware.

Her phone is a 3G 16GB that is jailbroken and unlocked. Mine is a 16GB 3GS that isn't modified (i.e. never jailbroken or unlocked), running 3.13 7E18 and 05.12.01.

Questions:

Can I and Should I jailbreak/unlock the 3GS before selling?

Should I upgrade to iOS 4.0 before selling and what does that do to the jailbreak/unlock scenario?

Any guidance on prices for each? I have original boxes for both. Won't have any of the accessories. 3G is in very nice shape. The 3GS was replaced two days ago under AppleCare warranty, so it is pretty much perfect. The AppleCare warranty on the 3GS lasts until July 2011.

Thanks!!

I believe the 3G is unlockable on all bootloaders with the new version of ultrasn0w, I was able to factory upgrade my sister's 3G to 4.0 with iTunes, then use redsn0w to JB, and installed ultrasn0w from cydia and everything worked fine.

The 3GS might be a different story, Idk about that one. Someone else might have to chime in who has done it. Or look in the guides section about 4.0, I think I read stuff about the 3GS and I'm sure the answer you're looking for is documented.

Good luck selling! I would def. upgrade to 4.0 and offer the JB as an option as most people want it but don't know how to do it or w/e, but just see what happens.
    i LOVE apple.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wannagotopopeyes For This Useful Post:

nc3g (2010-07-07)

Thanks - I've now sold them (to someone who gets this stuff better than me!)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nc3g For This Useful Post:

zeeshan_mirza (2010-07-13)