Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Had ATT Grandfathered Plan...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Had ATT Grandfathered Plan...
    So my fiance is in a bit of a pickle. We both had iPhone 4's on ATT's plan, grandfathered into the unlimited data. She, as part of a work perk, was given a $25 all you can eat plan with Verizon (unlim data, texts, minutes), so she bought an iPhone for Verizon and downgraded her ATT plan to just a $10 a month add-a-line (cheaper than paying the ETF). Her issue is that Verizon coverage isn't the greatest. She'd like to keep it as a work phone, but bring back the ATT plan (she kept her ATT iPhone 4) for personal use. The issue here is the data... she doesn't want to be paying about what she WAS paying for unlimited and only get 2GB. So... is there even an icecube's chance in hell she can get that grandfathered plan price back for her original line (as I mentioned, the line is still there, it's just in a pay-as-you-go phone for $10 additional).

Any advice/help is appreciated. Hopefully this can be worked out

edit: I suppose this wasn't clear. I still have the grandfathered plan on my iPhone 4, if that makes a difference. We've also been customers (well my line) since shortly after the original iPhone launch.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 2011-07-17 at 08:11 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Dang that is a pickle. Cowboy will be back on-line soon. I'm sure he'll have the answer for you.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If you have not put the iPhone plan back on the number you have with AT&T you can if you can get an iPhone 2g is the only way I know of. No data plan on number take Sim card in iPhone 2g it well tell you to connect to iTunes then well give you the chose of 20.00 plan or 30.00 plan

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaykain View Post
    If you have not put the iPhone plan back on the number you have with AT&T you can if you can get an iPhone 2g is the only way I know of. No data plan on number take Sim card in iPhone 2g it well tell you to connect to iTunes then well give you the chose of 20.00 plan or 30.00 plan
    +1. If you cant do it through iTunes then more than likely you will have to call ATT and request the unlimited data plan for $30. you will have to use an older model iphone though like a 2g or an original 3g I heard works as well. A buddy of mine had them put unlimited data on his plan a week or two ago. Its all a matter of getting the right csr to help you.

Thanks

Do I need a never before activated iPhone 2g? Or can I just buy one used?

I may just try to give them (ATT) a call and tell them my situation. That certainly cannot hurt.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Do I need a never before activated iPhone 2g? Or can I just buy one used?

I may just try to give them (ATT) a call and tell them my situation. That certainly cannot hurt.
    I'm pretty positive you can use a used one.

No it doesn't. The least they can do is just tell you they can't do it.

Good luck

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I used a used one when you put sim card in it it makes you set up as new one in iTunes

How long ago did you drop the data plan?
    If it is within i believe 90 days you can get it back by calling in being honest to with the reason why you dropped it.
    You will get transferred to a special department but as long as it hasn't been 90 days you should be able to get it back.
    If you are over the 90 days your sol

Fyi the 2g doesn't work like it use too their is new way to do it and get it but it marks your account as fraud so i don't recommend it. If your account gets marked as fraud its hard to upgrade or even change rate plans with out being questioned.

Thanks

It's been a while, since about December or January, so definitely past 90 days. We still haven't called them yet... I want to know exactly what to say or do. If she can't get unlimited, it's pretty much a waste for her to switch back at all. She would more or less only be using this phone for data and light texting.

Call and ask it never hurts

Thanks

Alright. Will do. I'll report here regarding how things go!

Good luck

Thanks

Well, they gave us a big "no" here. Even when I told them I would likely cancel the line permanently, they were unwilling to budge. They said they would waive the phone upgrade fee ($18) if we were to upgrade to another phone. No thanks. I will try again, but if they make notes on the accounts, a different rep will be able to see we already tried this.

Guess she gets to stick with big red...

What's Jailbreak? thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 564 Posts

They probably take notes... however one time I was having a lot of problems with AT&T while in Florida... real bad service which they fixed it now down there.... its not the best but at least its better however when I called and complained to them about this month after month I ended up having to get a land line down there and also my husband went over his minutes.... They did not charge me the hole time I was down there because they could see the troubled area I was in with them. I called to get the charges removed from my husbands account because he would have never went over if it hadn't been for their awful service. There was great concern for me down there because of the neighbors and he needed to make sure I was ok.... I am in a wonderful neighbor hood down there but the neighbor let their son live in their garage he is like 45 and he was dealing prescription drugs out of it and he p***ed off this person and that person put four bullet holes into the garage.... YUP I was crapping my pants! He is not there now...

To make the long story short I called and complained... then I asked to talk to another person.... and another and I told them that we had a business and it was with them and if they did not wave those charges we would drop them business and all of us as well would pay our way out... they did wave the charges and we changed my husbands phone to unlimited talking when they wave the charges.

I don't think they care about a person anymore however they do care about loosing a business....
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 2011-07-25 at 07:37 AM.

Still can try the 2g trick if talking doesn't get the job done

Thanks

Local guy is selling his 2G for $25. It has a cracked screen, but says touch works. I figure $25 is worth the gamble, see if that works. So... what do I do? Pop the sim into the 2g? Wait a couple hours, then pop it into the iPhone 4?

Also, does said trick get your account marked as fraud? You mentioned this and the last thing I would want is for the account to get frozen!
    Last edited by sziklassy; 2011-07-27 at 02:59 AM.

Pm me I'll tell you what to do

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    So my fiance is in a bit of a pickle. We both had iPhone 4's on ATT's plan, grandfathered into the unlimited data. She, as part of a work perk, was given a $25 all you can eat plan with Verizon (unlim data, texts, minutes), so she bought an iPhone for Verizon and downgraded her ATT plan to just a $10 a month add-a-line (cheaper than paying the ETF). Her issue is that Verizon coverage isn't the greatest. She'd like to keep it as a work phone, but bring back the ATT plan (she kept her ATT iPhone 4) for personal use. The issue here is the data... she doesn't want to be paying about what she WAS paying for unlimited and only get 2GB. So... is there even an icecube's chance in hell she can get that grandfathered plan price back for her original line (as I mentioned, the line is still there, it's just in a pay-as-you-go phone for $10 additional).

Any advice/help is appreciated. Hopefully this can be worked out

edit: I suppose this wasn't clear. I still have the grandfathered plan on my iPhone 4, if that makes a difference. We've also been customers (well my line) since shortly after the original iPhone launch.
    Grass isn't always greener! Right?

Thanks

Well, if the reception was fine it would have been great. She doesn't have to pay a dime for her monthly bill.

Anyhow, was able to get the unlimited data back with ATT so we're all good!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Glad you got it back! I was just gonna say maybe if you told AT&T how much you hate Verizon they'd be like yeah sure have your unlimited data back! Lol, but you got it all worked out regardless and that's awesome.