Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Original iPhone on a GoPhone plan?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Original iPhone on a GoPhone plan?
    Hey guys. I'm thinking of cancelling my current plan with AT&T and going with a prepaid plan to save me a couple hundred dollars. From what I understand, I should buy a new prepaid phone, activate it with any plan and then pop in it's SIM to the iPhone? I read the data won't work so I find it unnecessary to buy a plan including data and will probably stick to WiFi. But is there any way to get data to work?

Thank you.

I have an iPhone goPhone with the $50 unlimited plan (includes unlimited talk, text and data but only for non-smartphones). If you have a smartphone you have to buy an add-on data package which ranges from $5-$25 and are really useless on an iPhone (I think anyway). As far as I know there is no simple way to get the data to be unlimited. I did get a data package to work on my phone, I paid for the cheapest package to test it out after changing my APN settings.
    After searching for days I found this to help:
    First you need to activate this plan on any regular phone GoPhone with a wap browser. Once the data connection has been established you can switch the sim to a smartphone. I only have experiences with iPhones. The iPhone has to be activated, jail-broken, or unlocked! In others words, you need to be able to modify the APN...On an activated and unlocked iPhone visit: Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone and install the AT&T settings while on Wi-Fi. On a jail-broken iPhone download an APN changer in cydia. After you install go to Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network. From there
    APN: wap.cingular
    USER: [email protected]
    PW: CINGULAR1
    MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
    Proxy: 66.209.11.32

Reboot the iPhone and you should have a data connection!
    Another way I found for the unlimited data to work is listed in this video: YouTube - ‪Unlimited AT&T Data Plan: How To Still Get One‬‏
    I haven't tried that though but it seems to work for people. Good luck.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

There is still a way to get unlimited data on an iphone as a buddy of mine has this on his and he is on a GoPhone plan.

What you have to do is basically call att and tell the rep that you have an iphone (2g or this will work on the original 3g as well) and that you want the unlimited data package added to your service. Now if the rep says they cant do it, just hang up and retry.

I havent done this personally since I'm on a post account but I witnessed my buddy when he made the call. The first rep was rude so he hung up and the second one added it right away.
    Keep in mind though that it is an extra $30 for unlimited data. Thats what he is paying for it apparently.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Unless you are on a GoPhone Pick Your Plan setup (which was discontinued 5/2010), you won't be able to pick up an unlimited data plan on GoPhone for any generation iPhone.
    My most recent at&t plan I had used was a legit iPhone on Pick Your Plan (activated via iTunes). They even stopped supporting the 2G iPhone on Pick Your Plan back in early 2009.

Most reps won't even help you if you mention the word iPhone during a call to the GoPhone Customer Care. They'll just repeated say 'the iPhone can't be on prepaid' script when you try...

There was never a $30 data plan added to the GoPhone Pay As You Go system (which GoPhone activations since 5/2010 would be under), only the depreciated Pick Your Plan system... and that was only offered to users on a case-by-case basis.

You can buy the smartphone data packs like was mentioned earlier in this thread, but that's it w.r.t. GoPhone data.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 2011-07-16 at 06:27 AM.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    Unless you are on a GoPhone Pick Your Plan setup (which was discontinued 5/2010), you won't be able to pick up an unlimited data plan on GoPhone for any generation iPhone.
    My most recent at&t plan I had used was a legit iPhone on Pick Your Plan (activated via iTunes). They even stopped supporting the 2G iPhone on Pick Your Plan back in early 2009.

Most reps won't even help you if you mention the word iPhone during a call to the GoPhone Customer Care. They'll just repeated say 'the iPhone can't be on prepaid' script when you try...

There was never a $30 data plan added to the GoPhone Pay As You Go system (which GoPhone activations since 5/2010 would be under), only the depreciated Pick Your Plan system... and that was only offered to users on a case-by-case basis.

You can buy the smartphone data packs like was mentioned earlier in this thread, but that's it w.r.t. GoPhone data.
    Its funny you should mention this because my buddy was able to do it just fine on his pay as you go iphone just last week. The only difference I have seen between a pick your plan and pay as you go plan is the automatic drafting for the plan instead of manually controlling it yourself.

Its as I stated before. If the att rep wants to be nice about it then they will do it, if not then try again or move on. Sorta hit or miss if you ask me.