Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How is att unwilling to unlock our iphones after 2 years is up not illegal?

No do not do it until they officially announce it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stray For This Useful Post:

la79 (2011-07-11)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by la79 View Post
    Ok, so I guess my main concern is do you think it's wise to just update my baseband ...
    Why? Are you having problems?

Yeah I'd keep the bb as low as possible

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

la79 (2011-07-11)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^Absolutely . Leave all your options open.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

la79 (2011-07-11)

Not really having problems but I've been stuck at 4.2.1 for a while. Just haven't like the way ultrasn0w works with 4.3 and above. It's never been as stable and really buggy and I guess the truth is I'm afraid what other problems I may have once iOS 5 comes out.

I'm sure ultrasn0w won't place nice at all.

Thanks for the tips!

No problem
    honestly save some money an when and if the iPhone 5 ever comes out buy one contract unlock and boom no more bb problems lol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

My next iPhone will be unlocked. Here's hoping Apple continues to sell factory-unlocked models in the US

+1 i buy most of my phones out right anyways so i can't wait lol

has anyone purchased a factory unlocked ip4 from ATT or apple recently? if you purchase it from the store, do they get a locked ip4.. then do they unclock it on the spot?? do they send the IMEI to the white list then wait for itunes to unlock it? or do they have unopened NIB that are already unlocked??

just wondering? if its the first case, then....i think ATT would make extra if they just unlock our out of contract iphones for a small fee

its already unlocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    its already unlocked.
    +1. This is correct. I recently bought an unlocked I4 from Apple. Once you receive it all you have to do is activate it through iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by ihappy View Post
    +1. This is correct. I recently bought an unlocked I4 from Apple. Once you receive it all you have to do is activate it through iTunes.
    thanks.

so i guess apple submits the IMEI to be on the white list prior to sending the iphone to the stores. so that means, nobody at the apple or ATT store does the submitting of the IMEI to the white list database.

actually at the time of activation, this is when apple's data base thru itunes decides if your iphone is to be locked to a carrier or unlocked. thats why they have a white list which holds all these IMEI. if your IMEI is on that white list.. you shall be granted the unlock. during activation itunes will then display "Congratulations, your iphone has been unlocked"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -unlock_notification.jpeg  
    Last edited by daytonaviolet; 2011-07-19 at 12:28 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

That is correct. Only activation of newly bought iphones will iTunes give you that message. All others to this day will be locked to the carrier until someone decides to play nice and unlock them as well if you are off contract.

im just wondering if an ATT or Apple employee can add to this white list ?

That is correct. Only activation of newly bought iphones will iTunes give you that message. All others to this day will be locked to the carrier until someone decides to play nice and unlock them as well if you are off contract.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

They can but they wont. Apple needs ATT's permission and vice versa. Neither one of them want to budge unless you buy a new non contract iphone.

yes.. i understood but, im trying to figure out if an employee of ATT or Apple can update the white list and add any iphone IMEI. at this point its not clear who does the white list updates?? if it was an ATT or Apple employee at the store.. perhaps he/she could be persuaded some how?

They can but they wont. Apple needs ATT's permission and vice versa. Neither one of them want to budge unless you buy a new non contract iphone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

ATT is the one who handles the unlock in the US since it is the IMEI that is submitted for the unlock and that is handled by the carrier. However there is no way to persuade them to unlock the device otherwise it would be done already and its grounds for instant termination if proper authorization to unlock said device is not in order.

Bottom line is they wont do it if it is carrier locked (its a matter of business). You'll just have to buy a new non contract I4 that is unlocked or wait it out and see what happens.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^ihappy, you may be right .... however I am reminded of this quote:

"If no-one ever challenged the status quo, the earth would still be flat!"

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    ^ihappy, you may be right .... however I am reminded of this quote:

"If no-one ever challenged the status quo, the earth would still be flat!"
    I agree. I'm not saying there can't be ways to challenge said decision. The least they can do is just flat out say no. I'm simply stating that the decision is the carriers alone and as of right now 99% of the time the answer will probably be no

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12