Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using an iPhone 3G Without Data Plan - (Currently on 3.1.3 Jailbroken) - Please Help

Default Using an iPhone 3G Without Data Plan - (Currently on 3.1.3 Jailbroken) - Please Help
    Hello,

I have been searching through threads all over this and several other sites since last night looking for help on this subject but most topic threads were a few years old at this point and things could of change, and also none of the threads left me feeling like I really got a complete answer on anything.

EVERYTHING THAT FOLLOWS PERTAINS TO AT&T

My current situation is that I have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G with 3.1.3 Firmware and have just received a new iPhone4 for my birthday. I am currently using my 3G until I can sort this and a few other things out. It does have AT&Ts unlimited data plan (was grandfathered into it) and of course is fully activated.

I have been told I can activate my iPhone4, and thus it's microsim, at anytime, but that this will deactivate my current simcard in my 3G. Before I activate my iPhone4 and microsim I would like to set my 3G up to operate on AT&T without a data plan and give it to my mother, if this is even still possible.

I would like to upgrade to the latest firmware possible, and Cydia does have SHSH Blobs for 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, and 4.2.1 stored on it's servers for my 3G.

I would like to figure all of this out ASAP so I can go ahead and deactivate my SIMcard with the data plan so I may activate and start setting up my iPhone4 before a trip I am going on in less than 4 days.

My mom is currently using a stupid little $20 go phone with a normal monthly talking and unlimited texting plan. She is used to not having visual voicemail and having to dial in to hear vmail, so do not use that as an argument for "iPhone not being worth using without data plan." My mother, myself, and two others are part of a family plan.

Worst case scenario, I would also be interested in learning how to simply hacktivate my 3G to use as a bulky and slow iPod touch without phone capabilities, but would really prefer to get this working as a phone without data plan for my mom.

I currently have iTunes 10.3.1.55 installed on my computer running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and have access to another Win7 or WinXP SP3 computer in the same house if needed.

I have attempted to provide as much information as possible on the current situation and would appreciate any help that you can provide. If you need to know anything else from me, please say so. Thanks in advance.

~shark

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

From what everyone says .... AT&T does NOT offer an iPhone plan w/o data. AND they can recognize an iPhone and will add a data plan w/o your permission.

Mes, I know that AT&T does not offer iPhones without data plans, and something to consider here on this 3G is that I already have it and it is no longer under any contract.

I have also long read that AT&T can see that you are using an iPhone and that they do require a data plan with iPhones and yet have also read that some people have had success blocking 3G and Edge communications and popping in an old SIM from a non-iPhone without data and AT&T has basically turned a blind eye to it and just accepted the phone and text charges and allowed the customer to use the iPhone.

I have heard both sides and am just looking for a definitive answer. I am wondering if maybe it will just have to be a try and see situation.

I was hoping that maybe in recent time (like the past half year or so) a definitive answer may of emerged. Hoping that maybe someone that has tried RECENTLY would reply to this.

Anyways, worse case scenerio, I would like to learn to simply hacktivate this without a SIM and use it as an iPod touch with a camera (and maybe GPS? Does GPS still work on a hacktivated iPhone without SIM using something like the TomTom app that downloads the maps to the phone so you don't need a data connection like Google Maps?)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Of course, no SIM will fix the data issue. I hope you're right about the 'blind-eye' scenario. It doesn't/hasn't appeared AT&T has a blind-eye about anything

Custom firmware loads created by PwnageTool and Sn0wbreeze (and maybe Redsn0w) will hactivate .... and I think SAM will do it too. About GPS ... well I've experienced hit and miss on this one. GPS and hactivation are unrelated. GPS is assisted .... so w/o a cellular assist? BTW: I've tried xGPS, Motion GPS, and the stock map app.

Thank you for your replies Mes.

Yes, with AT&T, it often seems that they will keep an eagle-eye on things to screw everyone out of every penny they can, but I guess it really just defends on the individual employees that may catch such a thing.

Anyways, if you could point me in the direction for any information on hacktivating my 3G, I'd appreciate it. Again, would prefer to go ahead an upgrade to latest firmware possible as I do such things. Just been sitting on 3.1.3 as I have seen no NEED for the firmware updates from that point out and did not want to do a restore/rejailbreak/set things up again, but at this point I'm starting fresh on this thing so might as well update.

Actually as I sit here typing this it occurs to me that if I hacktivate now I could still go ahead and install BossPrefs or SBSettings or whatever I need from Cydia to go ahead and block data should I learn things down the road and wish to try to set the 3G up for use without a data plan, so then i could go ahead and start working on my new iPhone4, couldn't I!? That would be great for me! And then if it turns out to not be worth trying to use the thing as a phone without data, at least it will already be set up for use as a iPod that I could give to my little bro or take on trips or something.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The options to hactivate are embedded within the tools. So when running PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze, it's as simple as checking a box before the custom firmware is built. I've forgotten, but there may also be a check-box in Redsn0w too.

Guides/Tutorials on MMI (top of page) and iClarifid.Com tutorial section are excellent. Just pick the firmware version you want, and the phone you have .... and go for it. Everything you need is in the tutorial. BTW: 4.2.1 is the latest 3G version available. 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 are the fastest and some consider the best.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

shark01 (2011-06-23)

I have used redsn0w in the past (was what I used for my very first jailbreak) so I will gladly give it a try again.

I have downloaded the newest release, v0.9.6.rc16, which added compatibility of firmware 4.3.3. It appears that the official download link for v0.9.6b4 which was released for the 4.2.1 firmware is now dead, but newer versions are still reverse compatible with older firmwares, right?

I am currently downloading firmwares 3.1.3 and 4.2.1 and will select them in redsn0w v0.9.6.rc16 once they have finished downloading and will see if the program gives me the option to hacktivate either firmware. I will reply or edit this post after checking this.

However I will probably not be doing anything until this evening when I get back from work, thus giving more time should anyone else come along and see this thread and wish to contribute anything (and also so I can take my old 3G in it's otterbox to get beat up at work instead of my new iPhone4 that I don't have a case for yet, lol).

Thanks again for all your help and insight Mes!

PS: If anyone would like to weigh in on this 3.1.3 vs. 4.2.1 debate, let me know what you think. Is 3.1.3 really that noticeably faster than 4.2.1? It would be a great pain though sticking on 3.1.3 after doing a full restore because I have noticed that many apps on the app store no longer host versions compatible with anything older than 4.0. I myself am really leaning towards 4.2.1 unless anyone can make some strong arguments otherwise.
    Last edited by shark01; 2011-06-23 at 07:03 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The jb'ing tools (pwnagetool, sn0wbreeze, redsn0w, etc) were typically created for specific versions. Depending upon the release, newer versions may work, but personally I would find (and use) the original. That's the reason I have and keep backups .

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

shark01 (2011-06-23)

Here is a rundown of my preliminary redsn0w tests. Basically just notes I made as I tested firmwares on different versions of redsn0w.

Well I accidentally downloaded the 3Gs 3.1.3 Firmware and redsn0w v0.9.6.rc16 (the newest) does not recognize it.

I found redsn0w v0.9.4 (made for 3.1.2 and 3.1.3) it also did not recognize the 3Gs 3.1.3 Firmware. Weird.

Now I got the 3G 4.2.1 Firmware and ran it through redsn0w v0.9.6.rc16. It DID recognize the firmware and gave me several options, but not "activate" or "hacktivate" option, but it does have a "deactivate" option, so maybe it hacktivates by default? Here is a screencap of all the options given to me for this firmware in this version or redsnow: http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/64/...options421.png

Now I try the 3G 3.1.3 firmware. redsn0w v0.9.6.rc16 does not recognize. redsn0w v0.9.4 also did not recognize. I now think I have some problem on my computer that is interfering with redsn0w v0.9.4. I tried running redsn0w v0.9.4 in WinXP compatibility mode, still no success.

I did finally find a copy of redsn0w v0.9.6rc16 (released for 4.2.1 firmwares) on a non-official site, but everywhere I found people talking about this release they strongly advised using a newer version now that they are out. Still, I tried all three firmwars. the 3G 4.2.1 was recognized and presented the same options as seen in redsn0w v0.9.6.rc16. Both 3.1.3 firmwares were unrecognized. Maybe the problem is the firmwares and not the programs or my computer.

At this point, I'm planning on trying the 3G 4.2.1 Firmware with redsn0w v0.9.6.rc16 tonight and leaving "deactivate" unchecked (as it is by default) and seeing if that hacktivates. If that does not work, then I'm still stuck at square one.

I will also try to track down the other tools that you have mentioned Mes, but I thought pwnagetool was Mac only and I barely remember hearing about sn0wbreeze so I will have to look into that one more closely.

UPDATE:

I tracked down a copy of sn0wbreeze v2.2.1 and it does have a clear hacktivate option for the 3G 4.2.1 Firmware! This is what I will use this evening! Thanks so much for the recommendation Mes!
    Last edited by shark01; 2011-06-23 at 07:54 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Spam

A little late I know. But I ran into the same issue of the 3.1.3 ipsw not being recognized by sn0wbreeze or redsn0w. Even if you are on 3.1.3 you use the 3.1.2 ipsw to jailbreak (at least with sn0wbreeze).
    XBL Gamertag: deltaywicker