Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GoPhone iPhone

Default GoPhone iPhone
    Okay, so I've been using Android and I'm ready to come back to the iPhone...

Issue is AT&T wants 500 dollars for a deposit, whatever. So last week I picked up a crappy go phone from best buy.

I noticed that I can do a month to month plan that is 75 dollars a month that is unlimited talk and text and 200MB of data. I have wifi and home and at work....so I wouldn't be using much data.

Now to the iPhone.

I know officially that there is no way to get the iPhone on go phone, but that is why I came to you guys. How can I do this?

I'd be okay with getting any model of the iPhone and I'm willing to pay full price or go to craigslist or something like that.

Am I going to need to unlock or what?

If this has been said before just point me to the right post. Thanks!

yes it will work on an iphone, just put ur SIM in, if use too much data, they might cancel it. Also, you can't use the offical gophone SIM. go to an AT&T store and tell them you need a new SIM, and they'll give you a regular AT&T SIM for it.

HOWEVER, theres an easier way (and cheaper). forget all about AT&T and go with H2O wireless, it runs on AT&T's network so you can use 3G data. It's $50 a month for unlimited talk and text and 200mb data. $40 for unlimited talk and text. There's also simple mobile which runs on T-mobile's network, so it needs and unlock and theres no 3G, just edge. That would cost $60 for unlimited talk, text, and data.

Also, there's not credit checks or contracts, and no worrying about AT&T catching you and canceling your plan. check out their website

Using gophone does not need and unlock, and im pretty sure H2O won't need one either since it's using AT&T's network. Simple mobile WILL need an unlock.
    Last edited by Waleed786; 2010-10-21 at 03:58 AM.

Thanks I will look into the H2O option and see if that is something that I want to do.

I don't think I'll have to worry about the data thing because I'm on wifi 80 percent of the time.

Does anyone else know about the H2O company and if I would need to unlock.

Also anyone using Go Phone on the iPhone? Let me know your experience. Thanks!

Thanks

iphone with a gophone sim was good during the iOS 2.0 days

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UnbornApple View Post
    Thanks I will look into the H2O option and see if that is something that I want to do.

I don't think I'll have to worry about the data thing because I'm on wifi 80 percent of the time.

Does anyone else know about the H2O company and if I would need to unlock.

Also anyone using Go Phone on the iPhone? Let me know your experience. Thanks!
    I don't think you do but just to be a safe side if you buy an iphone I suggest you get one with 4.0.1 firmware or lower so it can be unlocked with ultrasnow.

h2o wireless is great option because It has 3g Data.

If you go with at&t Buy a brand new unactivated sim card from eBay for 99 Cents. Activate on at&t's website and just enter a random imei number and it will work instantly when you pop into your phone.

The iPhone on prepaid service is the same as contract service. The only thing people sometimes run into problems with is getting their data to work but that's an easy fix all you have to do is make a custom apn setting for your phone.
    Last edited by Bluemoldycheeze88; 2010-10-22 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    yes it will work on an iphone, just put ur SIM in, if use too much data, they might cancel it. Also, you can't use the offical gophone SIM. go to an AT&T store and tell them you need a new SIM, and they'll give you a regular AT&T SIM for it.

HOWEVER, theres an easier way (and cheaper). forget all about AT&T and go with H2O wireless, it runs on AT&T's network so you can use 3G data. It's $50 a month for unlimited talk and text and 200mb data. $40 for unlimited talk and text. There's also simple mobile which runs on T-mobile's network, so it needs and unlock and theres no 3G, just edge. That would cost $60 for unlimited talk, text, and data.

Also, there's not credit checks or contracts, and no worrying about AT&T catching you and canceling your plan. check out their website

Using gophone does not need and unlock, and im pretty sure H2O won't need one either since it's using AT&T's network. Simple mobile WILL need an unlock.
    Today, I moved to Simple Mobile with my iphone 2G as my tmobile contract ended yesterday. My plan is the $60 Unlimited Talk, Text, and Web and My Wi works. Anyway, I made my decision after reading this thread this morning. I got to keep my number and unlimited. Best decision I ever made

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    Today, I moved to Simple Mobile with my iphone 2G as my tmobile contract ended yesterday. My plan is the $60 Unlimited Talk, Text, and Web and My Wi works. Anyway, I made my decision after reading this thread this morning. I got to keep my number and unlimited. Best decision I ever made
    Awesome, that is 15 dollars less than AT&T's plan and more data! I'm going to sign up for the service next month!

Anyone try H2O on iPhone 3G or 3GS? Maybe an iPhone 4?

Thanks

Do the GoPhone/PayAsYouGo rate plans work no matter which iPhone you have? I currently have a 3G and want to switch to the iPhone 4 but need to make sure the data and stuff will still work.

Also, obviously I'm going to need a micro sim - so would I get one from AT&T/eBay and then resize it, call AT&T and switch my info off the old sim card onto the new one?

The H2O and Simple options sound nice, but just want to look into all my options before taking action. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lecram25 View Post
    Nothing is for free.

U can just cut ur current SIM and put it in the iPhone 4 If u already have gophone. Data works but excessive use of it may get ur service disabled. Everything else works.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BDCruz View Post
    Do the GoPhone/PayAsYouGo rate plans work no matter which iPhone you have? I currently have a 3G and want to switch to the iPhone 4 but need to make sure the data and stuff will still work.

Also, obviously I'm going to need a micro sim - so would I get one from AT&T/eBay and then resize it, call AT&T and switch my info off the old sim card onto the new one?

The H2O and Simple options sound nice, but just want to look into all my options before taking action. Any advice would be appreciated.
    I got my Simple Mobile Service on Oct 22 and I added the MyWi app from cydia and now I tether my Edge to my iPad or MacBook and works flawlessly. Im using a 2G and I got my mom on Simple and she running a 3G with no issues. My thinking is if Att doesnt work in your area then H20 will not works since its sharing the same cellular signals. I was getting good tmobile service and same for Simple since they share the same signal.

Thanks

I was checking the AT&T site today and it looks like they have various data plans now. If I use the $60 unlimited GoPhone, which data would I get (it look as if they are classified into 'Smart Phone' and 'Basic Phone' categories)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lecram25 View Post
    Nothing is for free.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BDCruz View Post
    I was checking the AT&T site today and it looks like they have various data plans now. If I use the $60 unlimited GoPhone, which data would I get (it look as if they are classified into 'Smart Phone' and 'Basic Phone' categories)?
    It might be worth getting/changing to the $75 plan which already includes 200MBs of data each month. It seems at&t decided to disallow data packages being added onto the newer monthly $60/$75 plans (not to be confused with the 'old' $60 unlimited talk/text feature that was tacked onto the old $.25/min simple rate plan). If so, you're kinda stuck on getting unlimited talk/text & 200MB for $75 or the $2/day plan and adding on $200/100MB packs. That's if you're wanting unlimited talk and text.

Hope this helps.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Hello. I just bought a pay as you go sim card at an AT&T store and activated it online. I can make calls and view web pages on my old AT&T blackberry but my iPhone 3GS (on 4.1) shows no service. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to make it work? Thanks in advance.

iFan2k6

Quote Originally Posted by Ifan2k6 View Post
    Hello. I just bought a pay as you go sim card at an AT&T store and activated it online. I can make calls and view web pages on my old AT&T blackberry but my iPhone 3GS (on 4.1) shows no service. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to make it work? Thanks in advance.

iFan2k6
    Well the iPhone doesn't usually let you do pay as u go plans thus you will have to most likely unlock the carrier

U don't have to unlock the iPhone for AT&T prepaid..is it a yellow-ish SIM that says "pay as you go" or "gophone" on it? Those won't work..u need a regular AT&T SIM

Thanks for the prompt reply Waleed. It's a go phone card. Can you get a regular card on a pay as you go plan? The phone came with a regular card. Can I load that one?

Yes u can get a regular card and just transfer the service, just make sure the SIM hasn't been used before, each SIM can only be activated once. U need a new regular SIM then just call AT&T and ask them to transfer the service onto ur new SIM.

Hi Waleed,
    I just examined both the original card and the new card and they are very similar. Blue and white on the front but the original is blue on the back and the new one is orange. The new one looks like the ones available on eBay. Do I have the right card already? And have I done something else wrong?