Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 2G Questions

Default Iphone 2G Questions
    Have some questions about the iPhone 2G and ATT, I knew you guys were the most knowledgeable board so came here .

I have done a ton of research on being able to use the iPhone without a data plan and came across a few threads that talked about the iPhone 2g being the only model thats able to not have a data plan...can someone clarify this for me?

If so, if I already have a data block on my line, can I just leave it that way and enter a Fake APN and be alright?

Lastly, I am under a family plan, by doing this, it wont screw with the plan at all, like our unlimited texting right? Thanks again for your help!

Anybody???

Anyone?
    Last edited by okstate34; 2010-10-20 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Youll be fine just block the data on the iphone and it wont screw your messaging at all you can do it with any iphone as ive done it with the 2g for my girl and now the 3gs for her

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DevouredDreams For This Useful Post:

okstate34 (2010-10-22)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

AT&T can find out if you're using an iPhone with a standard line and tell you a smartphone data plan is required. I've seen some people who have actually had a data plan forced to their line by AT&T. So... You can try it and hope they dont catch it

I can't guarantee they'll do anything but I can't guarantee they won't either.

Thanks for the replies! I heard of more success stories on the 2g than on the 3g or iPhone 4, specifically the ability to turn data off for the 2g? That's why I chose the 2g over the 3g! Hopefully it works out

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

There is a chance they could detect but if they do just put your sim back into your old phone and call them to remove the data package. MMS does not work on iPhone 2g unless you jailbreak it thou.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluemoldycheeze88 For This Useful Post:

okstate34 (2010-10-22)

If I do get caught, which data plan do they add?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

There are 2 data plans for iPhone, 200MB for $15 and 2GB for $25. I'm guessing it'd be one of those :P

10. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

okstate34 (2010-10-22)

Thanks

Att will automatically tell you to add a data plan. You will have to choose between the 2 data plan options.