Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just got this message from AT&T

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Just got this message from AT&T
    I've been happy with my 2G since buying it when it first came out. And to be honest have been kind of jealous at the fact that the newest edition now sells at Walmart for less than half of what I paid for mine. Well anyways, I was going to upgrade to the 3Gs since it's so cheap, but the new contract kept me back. Now I got this text message from AT&T. If I understand it correctly, I'll be getting a free iPhone 4 w/contract if I agree.

AT&T Free Msg: Get our best offer ever! Trade in your current 2G phone w/number ending in 2591 & get $200 off ANY 3G phone w/new 2yr service agreement & applicable data plan. Offer expires 11/8 & only available at an AT&T owned retail store. Add'l terms & conditions apply. Reply stop to end mktg msgs.
    Sound good? Or should I wait for the next-gen iPhone since Apple loves releasing a new one every year.

Thanks

Waaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiitttttttttt

If you can wait then wait. Obviously u are happy with the 2G. I cant understand that and get a new Phone whenever one comes out. Its an illness.
    As for the text I dont see anywhere that it says anything about the iPhone 4. As for the 3G, didnt they stop producing them? I thought the only one you can get is the 3GS. Which BTW will make ur 2G seem like a PC from 20 years ago.
    Good luck, go nuts and get the I4 you wont be sorry.

Edit: i just reread their offer and see they are talking about any 3G phone. I assumed it was the iPhone automatically. Lol
    Last edited by bbgt2; 2010-10-08 at 03:46 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbgt2 View Post
    If you can wait then wait. Obviously u are happy with the 2G. I cant understand that and get a new Phone whenever one comes out. Its an illness.
    As for the text I dont see anywhere that it says anything about the iPhone 4. As for the 3G, didnt they stop producing them? I thought the only one you can get is the 3GS. Which BTW will make ur 2G seem like a PC from 20 years ago.
    Good luck, go nuts and get the I4 you wont be sorry.

Edit: i just reread their offer and see they are talking about any 3G phone. I assumed it was the iPhone automatically. Lol
    Yeah...and they wrote "any" in caps. lol. It's obvious they're doing this to stick me under a new contract, but it doesn't sound bad. The deal is suppose to last until early November, and I haven't received such an offer since getting my iPhone years ago. I might just get it as I have been looking into getting a Flip UltraHD camcorder, so this would be kinda the same deal...for free.

I would do it..like u said, they make a new one every year so if u wait till next year, they'll be making another one a year after. You'll end up chasing the "next iPhone" forever so just get it free while u can, and If the next iPhone is really that much better then u can just get the early upgrade or buy it at full price. If it was close to the next release date I would understand but u still have a good 8-10 months left, and it'll be a HUGE upgrade from ur 2G
    Last edited by Waleed786; 2010-10-08 at 04:55 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

But if you do it on the release of the next one then they will give you another upgrade discount the next year.

It is all about timing the upgrade discounts.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    But if you do it on the release of the next one then they will give you another upgrade discount the next year.

It is all about timing the upgrade discounts.
    U mean that they offer upgrade discounts every other year or something?

Thanks

They offer a full discount every 2 years and a partial every year. It all depends on the contract you sign.

Mine is a 2 year contract. So right now if I got the iPhone 4 it would cost me 399$ but if I wait till next year it will be 299$.

I have 4 lines so I go back and forth on the upgrades since my other lines don't get hardware upgrades often.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

That's why I'm considering skipping next year's iPhone. I just got my 4 (went from 3G) and I just signed a new 2 year contract. Even with the partial annual discount, it'd still be pricey I'd guess. So I am going to wait for my full discount after 2 years for the next next iPhone :P

Thanks

I was waiting for the white iPhone 4 but it has yet to come out. So at this point I think I am fine skipping the iPhone 4 and getting the next gen.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

bigbmoney619 (2010-10-10), thetoothfairy (2010-10-08)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Ah, you've got some strong will power Cer0. I was waiting too for the white, then I caved and got a black one. But I did have my 3G for 2 years, so I figure I deserved an upgrade lol.

Thanks

I got a 3GS so I am good. Been tough holding out but I am making it. Did have a auditor come in the other week with one and I started to get antsy. But I can make it. I just have to not think about it. (Which is hard with MMi mod and all.)

I just buy them at full price and sell them 2 or 3 months before the next release.. In the end I spend only like 50 bucks and no contract..I got my iPhone 4 real cheap though so I might even make some profit on that later on =D

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

If you had a 3G instead you'd probably cave? Lol. 3GS is pretty darn good too, took me a bit of time to get used to ignoring the thought of upgrading too haha. I made it to the iP4! Good luck on your path to resisting the iP4

Thanks

If I had the 3G I would have caved yes.

I buy mine at the discount and sell them also right before the next release; except for this year. I had mine sold but when the white one never dropped I told the guy nevermind. He buys all my old iPhones, blackberry, android devices from me.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

That's a really good idea. I didn't think about that. I could just sell my iP4 before the next iPhone release then use that to buy the new one for full retail at AT&T :P

Question is whether I can still get $500+ out of it by that time and only have to spend $100-$200 extra.

Edit: sorry for hijacking your thread OP, lol. To answer you, I think it's up to you whether you wanna extend your contract or not. But you know this iP4 is pretty awesome
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-08 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I sold my 3GS for $700 in may. From my experience, if u keep the one u have now (since it will have the "old" bootrom after apple updates the a4 chip) u can probably sell it for at least $600 (32gb) if u keep it in good condition and everything. Just sell it by May, the price usually starts to drop around mid-may.

In may, 3GS' were going for like $500, but since I had the old bootrom I ended up getting $700 =D. That was back when the new bootroms needed tethered jailbreak, so everyone was after the MB models. Idk if it will be the same with the 4
    Last edited by Waleed786; 2010-10-08 at 06:06 AM.

Thanks

Me having a dedicated buyer is extremely nice. He pays me cash and I don't have to worry about shipping or other items.

Does he pay good money? I sell mine on craigslist..I'm in the Miami area so there's a big craigslist community here

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Awesome tips Waleed I'll take all that into consideration.

Cer0, I wish I could have a designated buyer lol. He/she would have an abundance of iPhones and iPods since I get them two at a time in my household lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast