Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will data automatically upgrade?

Default Will data automatically upgrade?
    I am giving my old iphone 3G to my friend on att who does not have a data plan that can be used on the iphone. If she puts her sim card in the iphone will it automatically upgrade the data plan to the $30 per month? She is looking to use it without a data plan at all so ideally there would be no change in the data cost and no internet access on the phone other than wifi. I'm nervous because its risky, im not sure if att would let u downgrade if the data did upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

U can do it no problem. Take off the data plan and put the sim in the phone, ur good go go

Thanks, if there is data plan already but its not compatible with iphone. can it stay on the line without being upgraded or working with the iphone? so nothing would have to be changed?

I don't think they can upgrade it without ur permission, the worst they can do is probably send u message saying the data plan is not compatible and maybe disable the data on ur iPhone (but not disable the plan, just stop the iPhone from using it). But that's the worst, I highly doubt that they would even notice.
    I'm on tmobile anyway so idk for sure, but that's how it works on tmobile so I think it's the same. If anyone else can confirm it would be great
    Last edited by Waleed786; 2010-10-04 at 04:06 AM.

Thanks

I thought it was mandatory to have a data plan with the iPhone. Once they see the IMEI in her account they can tell it's an iPhone and automatically apply the mandatory plan. It's in the contract that iPhones have to have a data plan.

At least on AT&T's service it's mandatory.
    Last edited by mbeezy81; 2010-10-04 at 04:10 AM.

When u first sign up for a contract to get the iPhone, yes it's mandatory to get the data plan. But if ur on an existing plan then u don't need to get a new contract for the iPhone so ur not signing anything, u just switch sim cards. So then it's not mandatory, because u didn't get it from AT&T so you have a right to whatever plan u want. The only thing is that the plan might not work with the iPhone, but they can't force u to get the iPhone data plan

ok thanks a lot dudes

just to clarify....it doesnt matter if you are a new iphone customer or you are an existing att client that are going to use an iphone....you will be always forced to have a data plan on ur iphone ....it can pass minutes,hours, months and you wont notice anything strange on your account...until the day they send you a text message saying a correct data plan...has been added to your account...........the only way this couldnt happen is using fake apn on firmware 3.1.3 or below

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yemuel View Post
    just to clarify....it doesnt matter if you are a new iphone customer or you are an existing att client that are going to use an iphone....you will be always forced to have a data plan on ur iphone ....it can pass minutes,hours, months and you wont notice anything strange on your account...until the day they send you a text message saying a correct data plan...has been added to your account...........the only way this couldnt happen is using fake apn on firmware 3.1.3 or below
    Yeah, that's what I figured. I've heard about it happening b4 where they automatically added a data plan to somebody's iPhone even though it wasn't purchased directly from AT&T.

Unless u disable cellular data and 3G..then there is no way for them to know that u are using an iPhone

Thanks a lot, it just so happens its on 3.1.2 sooooo all I gotta do is set up the fake APN and ill be set. Thanks again!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    Unless u disable cellular data and 3G..then there is no way for them to know that u are using an iPhone
    AT&T CAN tell if one's using an iPhone by the IMEI transmitted by the phone upon power on, toggled airplane mode off/on, calls, text, etc. Disabling data won't necessarily keep you from being pushed onto a plan (it's stated in the TOS you agreed to by using at&t service that iPhones and other smartphones require data plans), but it may buy you some time.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yemuel View Post

What is your source on this?

So if someone has 3.1.2 then one day updates to 4.1 they no longer can stay on that "non"iphone data plan?
    Last edited by karloz25; 2010-10-15 at 12:15 AM.