Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Should I switch to AT&T?

Default Should I switch to AT&T?
    Have T-Mobile and have for years now. Haven't had too much trouble with T-Mobile, really, but I think AT&T may have a better deal.

I have (for a couple years now) a 16GB 3G iPhone, unlocked and jailbroken. My sister has (for less than a year) a 32GB 3GS iPhone, unlocked and jailbroken.

Our current T-Mobile plan is:

5 lines
    700 minutes/month
    Unlimited SMS and MMS
    $135/month

The past few months, something (I'm guessin' an application) has been using up Internet data on my phone and costing me money each month for the data that is not a part of my plan. $1.99/MB, I believe, and I have no idea what I'm getting in return. Nothing as far as I can see. We've had this plan since before the invention of smartphone. My sister and I would love to have a data plan for our iPhones.

Been chatting with Emma, from AT&T, about family plan options and here is what I've found out...

5 lines
    700 minutes/month
    Unlimited SMS and MMS
    $100/month

Data plans are charged by the phone and is not shared amongst the family plan. So, basically, with what I already have with T-Mobile, and add a data plan, I am paying close to what I already am and getting more stuff. Seems like a good deal to me...

Also, I do highway maintenance and often do not have service because, I assume, my location. Most of the other guys I work with never lose service throughout the day (none have T-Mobile), anywhere they are located.

So, my question is...should I switch from my current T-Mobile plan to this AT&T plan? Does it sound like it will suit me better?

Thanks a lot!

PS My family members on the current family plan will have to get new phones that will work with AT&T. With signing up for a new contract, it looks like most non-smartphones are free of charge, so that will be good for those on the plan that are happy with what they already have because they have non-smartphones and don't go places I do where I lose service. Hope all this make sense. lol

PS 2 On a side note...if I go to AT&T, I think I will get an iPhone 4.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Well the iP4 requires data plan (2GB for $25 and 200MB for $15).

I can't answer your questions 100% but maybe my plan will show you an idea of how much you'll be paying.

I have 2 lines both with iP4's.

550 minutes
    2GB data on both
    No text packages

Including tax this family plan I pay $115-$120 a month.

For 5 lines it really depends on what phones and if you'll be required to have data plans on them. I don't know if you plan on having more than one iPhone or smartphone on it so I can't estimate the pricing properly. If only 1 or 2 iPhones and the rest regular phones, I'd say you're looking at around $200. If more iPhones, then it's more likely in the $230-$300 range, including text packages on all lines.

I use textfree for unlimited free texting so that'll save you money with iPhones on texting (but you'll have a separate number for texting) but no picture messaging.

Thanks for the reply, Anniex423.

I confirmed that a five line plan with 700 minutes/month and unlimited SMS/MMS messaging is $100 whereas it's $135 for the same with my current T-Mobile plan. My sister and I will get the $15 data plans.

So, we're all paying $27/month at the moment with T-Mobile plan. I'm paying an average of $38/month because of the mysterious data charges I've been accumulating.

With the AT&T plan, we'll be paying $20/month. So, with the $15 data plan added to mine it will be $35. Cheaper than what I pay now AND for more stuff (data). My sister will be paying more than normal, but not THAT much more and she'll have Internet everywhere not just Wi-Fi spots.

The other three lines will remain data plan free, so they will be spending less for the same thing they already get.

Also, according to this coverage map thing, AT&T has full coverage in southwest Oklahoma, where we are located. Like I said, they don't have service problems with T-Mobile, but I do because I travel over 500 road miles of county doing highway maintenance and there are times when it could be flat out dangerous if I can't reach someone. i.e. in snow and ice on the north end of the county...plenty of places to never be seen again. lol

This seems like a win-win situation to me. Just wanted some replies slappin' me in the face sayin', "go for it!!". However, if I'm overlooking somethin', PLEASE let me know.

Thanks again!!

Tmobile actually has a deal right now, u can get 5 lines with unlimited minutes on the first 2 lines, and 200 min EACH for the other 3 lines. U also get unlimited texting and mms. All that for $99 a month (about $120 after taxes and fees) the deal is this week only. U can also get 3000 min shared for the same price. Unlimited data will be $25 extra per line.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I just went thru AT&T's website to see how much it would cost for you monthly with unlimited text for all lines, 2 iPhones, 3 regular phones, 2 200MB data plans, and 700 minutes, it states $159 (without tax) a month.

If that were me I'd go for it if I had 5 people but I only need 2 lol. But yeah, it's cheaper this way than on T-Mobile if you've got extra data charges coming in.

Oh and I forgot to mention, any plan with AT&T will require a 2 yr contract, even if u don't get a phone. So if u switch, u might as well get a phone. Tmobile has no-contract plans that are cheaper than their contract plans

Note: Deleted what I posted before.

Today, a week after modifying my plan, the new web2go internet kicked in. Under the old T-Zones, I had full web access on the iphone. Under this plan, it recognizes the iphone and requires upgrade to the $30 data plan which doesn't support 3G speed on iphone, just T-Mo branded smart phones. Can't go back because T-Zones plan was eliminated. *sigh*
    Last edited by Coop; 2010-09-24 at 07:13 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Considering that he only needs 2 lines with data plans and AT&T had an unlimited text plan for families up to 5 lines for only $30 a month, the quote for $159 is near accurate. Of course the activation fees and/or deposit if applicable are extra (and that is so for starting a new plan with any service provider) but that's expected and not incurred monthly. The mandatory data plans for his family only applies for 2 lines and the other 3 are without data plans so that's also incorporated in the quote I gave.

If we look at what he wanted for AT&T to T-Mobile... I also had T-Mobile before. I did the web2go 9.99 trick to get cheaper data but even that is more expensive than AT&T if you take the OP's specifications.

700 minutes
    Unlimited text and data for 2 smartphones
    Unlimited text for 3 regular phones

It's about $180 for those 5 lines, not including tax. And that's with the web2go 9.99 trick. Without it, it's closer to $200. OP doesn't have data plans now but wants 2 iPhones which he also wants data on, so AT&T is cheaper. It wouldn't be so if it were only 2 lines, but there are 5. Not to mention if you don't get 3G speeds on T-Mobile with an iPhone. Which trust me, is so awesome once you get a taste of it after using EDGE for 3 years.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

ITSANSS (2010-09-20)

Edit: changed my mind on T-Mo. Going to go with AT&T instead.
    Last edited by Coop; 2010-09-24 at 06:59 AM.

I don't see where u guys are getting this info. With tmobile, he can get 750 minutes, unlimited data on 2 lines, and unlimited texting/mms on all 5 lines, all for $109 ($130 after fees). They have a deal until november I believe so the prices are lower than they state.

But still, I would go with AT&T only because of the 3G. BUT, tmobile is undoubtedly cheaper in every way compared to AT&T.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Waleed786 For This Useful Post:

ITSANSS (2010-09-20)

I called T-Mo yesterday and updated my plan, based on new lower internet pricing now available.

I walked into an AT&T store two days ago, and got everything in writing that I'm posting right now. It is sitting here in front of me.

I was actually ready to switch over to AT&T, get onto 3G and purchase iphone4's under under a plan to hopefully save some money. Then as I peeled away the layers while at the AT&T store, I discovered the extra cost of going with this service.

These are the facts as I discovered them.

Edit 9-24: today the new web2go internet kicked in on my plan. I discovered T-Mo now recognizes iphones and the $10 plan doesn't work for iphone like the old T-Zones plan did. Now I have to upgrade to their $30 plan.

Lesson learned - T-Mo is cheaper, but not if you plan to use iPhones.
    Last edited by Coop; 2010-09-24 at 07:19 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Coop For This Useful Post:

ITSANSS (2010-09-20)

Wow, awesome replies!

Didn't think I'd get so many good replies and this fast!

I see the deal on T-Mobile website where it has the Talk + Text + Web for $140 for two lines. However, it says adding three more lines means $30 more/month making it $170 total/month. I'm not so sure that the other three lines on the plan even want to have Internet. They (they're old) may even refuse to pay for it making it a bust.

Another pro I thought of if I were to switch to AT&T is that I wouldn't have to unlock the iPhone after an update! My sister and I both went through HELL after updates to get the phones re-unlocked and jailbroken. My sister didn't know what she was doing and screwed her phone up BAD and took over a week of tinkering to get it figured out (wound up having to borrow a friend's AT&T SIM to get back into the phone 'cause it was locked up very, very tight). My phone was down for a week and took HOURS of experimenting on it each day before someone (on this forum) figured out that my phone was using a custom .ipsw firmware stored on my computer making un-unlockable. I swore I wouldn't update it ever again, and I haven't. lol I'm on 3.1.2, by the way. It's just a hassle plugging the phone into the PC to upload pictures, etc. and being a nervous wreck that it's going to sync and install updates or mess up in some way. The peace of mind alone in being able to update or send the phone off to Apple for any problems without getting into trouble is almost worth switching even if it were more money each month. lol

Also, a friend of mine has 3G Internet and once used his phone to tether to his girlfriend's 47" HDTV and streamed a movie from his Playstation 3 account through his phone to his girlfriend's TV and watched it in high definition quality without it skipping a beat. That's just really impressive to me!

Keep the info. comin', ya'll!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I think it really depends on the individual and the needs. I was on T-Mobile with 2 iPhones (smartphones to T-Mobile) with 9.99 web2go, 700 min, and no texting. That was $100 not including taxes. I'm on AT&T now with 2GB data on both iPhones for $110 (not including tax). It's almost the same for me and I use close to 2GB data but not up to so it's enough. I don't need texting either. I decided the 3G speeds were worth the switch. I don't have wifi 75% of my days so it matters to me. Also, AT&T had much better coverage in my area than T-Mobile, so that mattered too. It just depends really.

Are u looking at even more or even more plus? The price I told u in my previous post $130 is what u will pay for what u wanted. U have get the right plan to get that price, other plans will get u the same thing for more. Adding lines will cost you $0, PM me if u have trouble finding the right plan, because it should total to $109 before fees.

And ur right about the updates. It all ends in one question. Saving money vs convenience. Convenience includes 3g, and no unlocking.

ok how are you getting 100 for the monthly if you switch to att? Because if you have two iphones they will require you to have a data plan for both phones either 25 dollars for 2 gb or 15 for 200mb and the lowest family plan for att is 69.99 because the 59.99 plan only allows a maximum of 3 people. If you want unlimited family texting it will cost you and extra 30 dollars. so with that in mind:

700min = 69.99
    data(2xiphones)= 30.00 (assuming you are taking the cheapest data plan)
    unlimited family text= 30.00
    additonal 3 lines= 30.00 (plan only covers the first 2 line additional line will cost 10.00 each)

total should come out to be 159.99 before taxes and other surcharges that att charges.

Also, they will find out you have 2 iphones and will add the data plan to you phone..

Technically speaking you will be paying alot more than paying the 130 something with tmobile... unless you have a corp discount or att is cutting you a better deal...

Also, if i am wrong please let me know as i am new to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    Are u looking at even more or even more plus? The price I told u in my previous post $130 is what u will pay for what u wanted. U have get the right plan to get that price, other plans will get u the same thing for more. Adding lines will cost you $0, PM me if u have trouble finding the right plan, because it should total to $109 before fees.

And ur right about the updates. It all ends in one question. Saving money vs convenience. Convenience includes 3g, and no unlocking.
    Oh, I see. I was looking at the wrong one. I was looking at the one that required two-year contract for $140. Also, the extra lines (lines after the first two) are only free for so long.

Ya' know, I wonder why I'm paying $135/month now with no data plan when there's the Talk + Text + Web plan right there for $110...? lol

See, this is exactly why I am asking ya'll this stuff rather than just switching. Lots to consider here...

Quote Originally Posted by sosadxx View Post
    ok how are you getting 100 for the monthly if you switch to att? Because if you have two iphones they will require you to have a data plan for both phones either 25 dollars for 2 gb or 15 for 200mb and the lowest family plan for att is 69.99 because the 59.99 plan only allows a maximum of 3 people. If you want unlimited family texting it will cost you and extra 30 dollars. so with that in mind:

700min = 69.99
    data(2xiphones)= 30.00 (assuming you are taking the cheapest data plan)
    unlimited family text= 30.00
    additonal 3 lines= 30.00 (plan only covers the first 2 line additional line will cost 10.00 each)

total should come out to be 159.99 before taxes and other surcharges that att charges.

Also, they will find out you have 2 iphones and will add the data plan to you phone..

Technically speaking you will be paying alot more than paying the 130 something with tmobile... unless you have a corp discount or att is cutting you a better deal...

Also, if i am wrong please let me know as i am new to the forum
    The $100/month I'm getting with AT&T is for what I already have - Five lines, 700 minutes/month, unlimited SMS/MMS - which I'm paying $135/month for with T-Moible. Yes, the two data plans will add on $30/month, but that's still $5 cheaper/month than what I am paying now and it's gonna' have more stuff (data).

T-Mobile (currently have)

5 lines
    700 minutes/month
    Unlimited SMS/MMS
    No data (I'm racking up, average, $10/month bogus Internet usage charges.)

$135/month....$145 with the Internet charges

AT&T

5 lines
    700 minutes/month
    Unlimited SMS/MMS
    TWO $15 data plans for two iPhones

$130/month

Sorry, no time to proof-read, late for work. Hope this all makes sense. :-P

Thanks again for all the feedback, ya'll. Keep it comin'!

Ull get the free lines until 2012. U could stay with tmobile until 2012 (when the discount ends) then switch to AT&T. It's a no-contract plan so it wont cost u anything to cancel it. So here's what ull get
    750 min
    Unlimited texting/mms (all 5 lines)
    Unlimited data (2 line)

For $130 after fees. In 2012 it'll jump to $160, so that would be a good time to switch. You won't get 3G or phone upgrades, but it'll save u a lot of money so I think it's worth holding off for a year.

Also, If u switch to this plan over the phone, the reps might try to scare u with some fees and things BUT THERE ARE NO FEES SO SWITCH, just keep arguing that ur contract is over so you won't pay any fees to switch plans. that's what happened to me at least, then they told me that I can't switch plans until November 1st (that's when the discount ends) I just kept arguing and eventually they let me switch.
    Last edited by Waleed786; 2010-09-20 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks

How about single line? I pay $56.10 for 300 talk/text no data on tmobile per month. I am fed up with 4.0.2 on my 3G. So what is the cheapest talk/text/data for single line on AT&T? Also, is tethered optional?

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    How about single line? I pay $56.10 for 300 talk/text no data on tmobile per month. I am fed up with 4.0.2 on my 3G. So what is the cheapest talk/text/data for single line on AT&T? Also, is tethered optional?
    Get Started - Wireless from AT&T

This is just a quick link that might help ya' out a little bit. Would try to help more, but gotta' go to work!! Work...always gettin' in the way of stuff I'd rather be doin'. :-P

By the way, from my research, a family plan is the money saver. A single line costs, in many cases, about the same amount as an entire family plan. Got any friends or family you can add to help share the bill? You could do like the TV commercials and be in a coffee place or on a bus and be pointing at people, "I can even add that guy!...or that lady!". lol

Thanks

Well, single line $40 for 450 mins, 200 text at $5 , and data at $15 Am I missing a hidden charge?