Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Noobish Tethering question.

Default Noobish Tethering question.
    I work for a lady repairing her computers, setting up her wireless internet, all that good stuff. She recently got an iPhone 3GS and she's on AT&T, and she was considering getting rid of her cable internet all together and going with an AT%T 'internet stick'. Apparently she ended up going with tethering instead. She's on the 200MB Data plan with AT&T and I have a question.

I'm new to tethering. I don't use it, and don't really have a need for it so I'm not all that versed in it If she uses the AT&T tethering plan along with her data plan on her home laptop... won't she eat up her 200MB limit really quick? I don't want her to get stuck with a giant bill and then call me crying about it because I need to 'fix' it.

If you're using the 'official' AT&T Tethering, does that data go into, or use your normal 3G data plan?

Thanks for any help.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If you tether you will eat up that 200MB very fast. She will get a text message from AT&T warning her when she gets close and goes over and how much she'll be charged.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

index (2010-07-30)

That's what I thought. Great. I guess I better break the news to her. Thanks for the help, Poseidon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

A couple of youtube videos and 200mbs will be gone.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by index View Post
    I work for a lady repairing her computers, setting up her wireless internet, all that good stuff. She recently got an iPhone 3GS and she's on AT&T, and she was considering getting rid of her cable internet all together and going with an AT%T 'internet stick'. Apparently she ended up going with tethering instead. She's on the 200MB Data plan with AT&T and I have a question.

I'm new to tethering. I don't use it, and don't really have a need for it so I'm not all that versed in it If she uses the AT&T tethering plan along with her data plan on her home laptop... won't she eat up her 200MB limit really quick? I don't want her to get stuck with a giant bill and then call me crying about it because I need to 'fix' it.

If you're using the 'official' AT&T Tethering, does that data go into, or use your normal 3G data plan?

Thanks for any help.
    FYI

200MB plan is suicide if you plan on using the internet for anything besides a quick email check.
    2GB option works great for average aka occasional website browsing and email but youtube will destroy that limit fast.

Then there is always the 5GB Laptop plan for $60 a month but that's not even a savings.

Basically if she is a very light user then the 2GB plan to tethering would work else tethering is worthless to replace your wired internet (unless you have the old unlimited plan + a hack)
    Last edited by Ryeno; 2010-08-07 at 11:03 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

AT&T's basic DSL package starts at 20 bucks month... why doesn't she just get that its unlimited.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Isn't the tethering plan only available with the 2GB Datapro?