Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tethering

Default Tethering
    Is it true if you got an iPhone and had the data plan before the new data plans you get free tethering?

You know the $30/month rate before they made packages and stuff.

No as soon as u try and tether with your phone it asks u to change plans

So can you use MyWi with no problems from AT&T if you have unlimited data? I don't plan on using it for my main ISP because I have insight at home but I mainly want it for the convenience factor, hotels, airports, etc.

Ya so basically you don't get free AT&T tethering and actually they won't let you have the unlimited plan and tethering but you can use jailbroken iPhone apps like mywi to tether basically all you want with the unlimited plans and I think that is what you're referring to

Native tethering without Cydia apps is possible... I wrote a tutorial about how to do it on iOS 4.0 / 4.0.1 with a jailbroken 3G or 3GS

Board Message
    Last edited by Playb3yond; 2010-07-31 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"Download and email yourself a .mobileconfig from help.BenM.at | BENM.AT on your iPhone. The Safari app will not allow the file to be installed. It needs to be installed via the mail app."

Just how do you get this download since the iphone's safari refuses to accept it? There is no option to email this file to yourself instead. Entering the url for the download file on your computer's browser doesn't work either as the site just sends you back to the main page.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Perhaps you can do it on a browser on a desktop computer, and then mail it to your iPhone. That'd be my guess.

EDIT: Okay, that didn't work. But I was able to download it and install directly on the phone, going to test and see if it worked.

Nope, no go. Tethering doesn't even appear as an option that MIGHT be able to be setup.
    Last edited by Trooper Sam; 2010-08-01 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    Perhaps you can do it on a browser on a desktop computer, and then mail it to your iPhone. That'd be my guess.

EDIT: Okay, that didn't work. But I was able to download it and install directly on the phone, going to test and see if it worked.

Nope, no go. Tethering doesn't even appear as an option that MIGHT be able to be setup.
    I did use my computer to attempt to go to the url displayed on the iphone when trying to retrieve the mobileconfig for att.

How did you manage to download it? I'm running 4.0. I am NOT downgrading firmware to accomplish this. The whole idea is stay on 4.0/4.0.1.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Ooops, sorry, I failed to mention that I'm back to 3.1.2. I'm certain that makes my results rather inconclusive in regards to how it acts with 4.0.

The original question goes to playb3yond.

"Download and email yourself a .mobileconfig from help.BenM.at | BENM.AT on your iPhone. The Safari app will not allow the file to be installed. It needs to be installed via the mail app."

Just how do you get this download since the iphone's safari refuses to accept it? There is no option to email this file to yourself instead. Entering the url for the download file on your computer's browser doesn't work either as the site just sends you back to the main page.

For this you will need the following
    • A Mac or PC to SSH from and edit .plist files.
    • Jailbroken iPhone 3G or 3GS on iOS 4.0 or 4.0.1
    • Auto SSH installed from Cydia
    • Wifi
    • A data plan for your iPhone
    • A plist editor

Step 1: Install Ultrasn0w

Step 2: Download the commcenter patch for your corresponding firmware... Download from Commcenter_Patch.zip It contains both the 4.0 and 4.0.1 commcenter patch. BE SURE TO READ THE FILE NAME. 400 is 4.0 and 401 is 4.0.1.

Step 3: Download and email yourself a .mobileconfig from help.BenM.at | BENM.AT on your iPhone. The Safari app will not allow the file to be installed. It needs to be installed via the mail app.

Step 4: Create a Cydia auto install folder. SSH into your iPhone and make the following directory. /private/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall and place the commcenter patch in this folder.

Step 5: Reboot twice. It will take 2 reboots for the changes to take effect.

Step 6: (Optional) SSH into your iPhone and add

<key>ASCIIFileNameRequired</key>
    <true/>
    <key>AllowEDGEEditing</key>
    <true/>
    <key>AllowMMSCEditing</key>
    <true/>
    <key>AllowMMSEditing</key>
    <true/>

to your carrier.plist... This is for apn editing. They are located in /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/"Carrier Name".bundle carrier.plist is an example of mine... for those with AT&T...

Step 7: If you applied the step 5 then reboot your iPhone again for the changed to take effect. Open Cydia to see if the patch has been installed successfully. Do not apply this patch twice.

Step 8: SSH to the following directory /private/var/Managed Preferences/mobile and you will see a file named com.apple.managedCarrier.plist add the following to the data apn of your iPhone.

<key>type-mask</key>
    <integer>53</integer>

Save the file and replace it with the existing one on your iPhone

If there is another apn specifically for tethering, add this to that apn configuration

<key>type-mask</key>
    <integer>4</integer>

Step 9: SSH to the following directory /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences and find the following file. com.apple.MobileInternetSharing.plist Change the state integer to 1023, then save and replace the file for your iPhone.

Step 10: SSH to the following directory /private/var/preferences/SystemConfiguration and find the following file. preferences.plist When you open this file there will be several apn configurations. Find the one without signatures and add the following

<key>type-mask</key>
    <integer>53</integer>

to the plist. Save and replace the file with the edited one on your iPhone.

Step 11: Reboot once again and tethering should be enabled when it turns back on. If there is an error saying the network cable has been unplugged, simply turn of, then enable it via bluetooth and usb tethering and the blue status bar should appear, and tethering is enabled.

*Note: When adding the <key>type-mask</key> entry. It should appear as follows

<dict>
    <key>apn</key>
    <string>wap.cingular</string>
    <key>password</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>type-mask</key>
    <integer>53</integer>
    <key>username</key>
    <string></string>
    </dict>

is there something like this I can do on my iPhone 4?

Frank J cerami:
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    08/26/2010 at 2:30 am
    Help!!!!! plz. I have an iPhone 3G with os3.0 software, *For a long time I have been using the link to add tethering for my phone too my computer. and seeing I donít have access to the Internet otherwise, it was great. but I had to do a full system wipe and replaced the sim card, I tried to upload the link now and it doesnít show up. And I canít tether Plz Help my Internet access has been reduced to the screen of my phone. I have tried, I think everything. Right now my phone is using os 3.1.3 plz help me
    Thanx in advance

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Playb3yond View Post

For this you will need the following
    • A Mac or PC to SSH from and edit .plist files.
    • Jailbroken iPhone 3G or 3GS on iOS 4.0 or 4.0.1
    • Auto SSH installed from Cydia
    • Wifi
    • A data plan for your iPhone
    • A plist editor

Step 1: Install Ultrasn0w

Step 2: Download the commcenter patch for your corresponding firmware... Download from Commcenter_Patch.zip It contains both the 4.0 and 4.0.1 commcenter patch. BE SURE TO READ THE FILE NAME. 400 is 4.0 and 401 is 4.0.1.

Step 3: Download and email yourself a .mobileconfig from help.BenM.at | BENM.AT on your iPhone. The Safari app will not allow the file to be installed. It needs to be installed via the mail app.

Step 4: Create a Cydia auto install folder. SSH into your iPhone and make the following directory. /private/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall and place the commcenter patch in this folder.

Step 5: Reboot twice. It will take 2 reboots for the changes to take effect.

Step 6: (Optional) SSH into your iPhone and add

<key>ASCIIFileNameRequired</key>
    <true/>
    <key>AllowEDGEEditing</key>
    <true/>
    <key>AllowMMSCEditing</key>
    <true/>
    <key>AllowMMSEditing</key>
    <true/>

to your carrier.plist... This is for apn editing. They are located in /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/"Carrier Name".bundle carrier.plist is an example of mine... for those with AT&T...

Step 7: If you applied the step 5 then reboot your iPhone again for the changed to take effect. Open Cydia to see if the patch has been installed successfully. Do not apply this patch twice.

Step 8: SSH to the following directory /private/var/Managed Preferences/mobile and you will see a file named com.apple.managedCarrier.plist add the following to the data apn of your iPhone.

<key>type-mask</key>
    <integer>53</integer>

Save the file and replace it with the existing one on your iPhone

If there is another apn specifically for tethering, add this to that apn configuration

<key>type-mask</key>
    <integer>4</integer>

Step 9: SSH to the following directory /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences and find the following file. com.apple.MobileInternetSharing.plist Change the state integer to 1023, then save and replace the file for your iPhone.

Step 10: SSH to the following directory /private/var/preferences/SystemConfiguration and find the following file. preferences.plist When you open this file there will be several apn configurations. Find the one without signatures and add the following

<key>type-mask</key>
    <integer>53</integer>

to the plist. Save and replace the file with the edited one on your iPhone.

Step 11: Reboot once again and tethering should be enabled when it turns back on. If there is an error saying the network cable has been unplugged, simply turn of, then enable it via bluetooth and usb tethering and the blue status bar should appear, and tethering is enabled.

*Note: When adding the <key>type-mask</key> entry. It should appear as follows

<dict>
    <key>apn</key>
    <string>wap.cingular</string>
    <key>password</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>type-mask</key>
    <integer>53</integer>
    <key>username</key>
    <string></string>
    </dict>
    I tried this process and it worked! Thanks for the detailed tutorial.

I was not able to install the mobile config file from BENM.AT. I figured out that I could install the Safari browser for Windows and set the user agent as Mobile Safari - iPhone 4.02 to allow me to get the help.benm.at site and download the config file for AT&T USA. I then emailed it to an account that I could access from my iPhone. From the iPhone email application I tried to install the config file and it said the install failed, only one config file is allowed. I ignored that error and did the other steps and tethering is now available and working.

For anyone else, you can use these instuctions without the part about downloading and install the mobile config file to enable tethering.
    Devices: iPhone 3GS iOS 5.0.1 (old boot ROM), iPad 2 64GB/3G/4.10.01 iOS 4.3.3, Android and WM phones as well