Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Videos thru mms low quality

Default Videos thru mms low quality
    I have an iPhone 4 and I've received a couple of small videos thru mms from friends that also have the iPhone 4. They come thru as real low quality, is that normal or is there something I can do to fix this.

Pretty sure it's normal. I sent myself a video to check this out when I got my iphone4 and it really is just terrible quality

Embarrassing quality actually
    Last edited by Sticky111; 2010-06-28 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well that sux, I wonder if sending on 3G instead of wireless is the problem. Or maybe I just have to send thru email maybe that'll work.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I noticed this also. The video quality is very poor and also the video is pretty small in the center of the screen. I'm assuming its a setting so that AT&T towers aren't overloaded.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

any form of text or mms sends through the wireless service, it doesn't use wifi at all. that would be nice if it did, but it still would use the carrier's bandwidth.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

MMS is is compressed to save bandwidth. Much like MMS can only generally be 30 seconds long. To keep the quality up there then you will want to email the video to the person instead.

Same goes for pictures.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

I spent all day on the phone with AT&T and Apple about this. AT&T said that its Apple's problem with their phones. WHich is garbage. After a software restore and activating the phone as new, which did not help, I went to the Apple store down the street for help. Bottom line, low quality MMS pictures and video are not NORMAL. The phone is meant to share these high resolution files across the AT&T network. Herein lies the problem. After the Dude at the Apple store sent and received a series of pictures and video MMS's to and from my phone, every phone had the same outcome. Low image quality and low video resolution. Im not talking, "Oh its a little fuzzy" Im talking Motorola Razor quality. The staff at the store has concluded that this is AT&T's network that is "retarding" the files sent across their network to limit congestion and bandwidth. Until they shore up the network to keep up with the iPhone...I wouldn't expect this issue to get better anytime soon.
    Last edited by snocross432; 2010-07-28 at 07:44 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

It is meant to downsize to be able to send. Kind of the same reason they can only be 30secs long too.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    It is meant to downsize to be able to send. Kind of the same reason they can only be 30secs long too.
    Right. Im not arguing the downsize and the size limit, I'm just saying that a MMS picture and acceptable sized video (under 30 secs) is supposed to be received in the same quality it is sent, and vice versa. I never had a problem with this until last Saturday the 24th, and I've had the phone since the 23rd of June.
    Last edited by snocross432; 2010-07-28 at 07:44 AM.

Are you retarded? It IS normal for it to be much lower quality! It has to recompress the video AND upload it in a timely manner. If you want to send a full sized and quality video to someone then email it or put it on media and mail it to them. It would take a long *** time to upload a full size video over a cell network.

I have successfully sent and received both high res pictures and videos for the better part of a month (and sporadically when the network allows). Are you retarded or didn't you read the threads above?

It's not Apple's fault, it's not AT&T's fault. It will only reencode **** based on your connection. People constantly using, uploading, download, and tolling the network like their phone is a computer is why unlimited data plans are coming to an end, because they are abused, and it pisses me off.

It is AT&T's fault. They have a monopoly on the biggest phone on the planet, its there JOB to fortify their network to change with the laws of supply and demand. Based on your assessment, the networks should be analog and phones should be carried in a bag. If you agree with Steve Jobs that were in a post PC world (and you carry a smartphone) then you know the function and direction that these phones are going. With that said, the networks by in large have to keep up with usage demand. There's no way around "people constantly using, uploading, download, and tolling the network like their phone is a computer". THEIR PHONE IS THEIR COMPUTER. Lastly...no one is abusing anything. We're only doing things that Apple and AT&T have advertised and promoted can be done on their phone and networks. Be pissed at them for hyping these capabilities and then pulling the rug out from under the people who use it.