Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Quick question about signing up

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Default Quick question about signing up
    So I tried to see if I am eligible to sign up for a contract with AT&T for the iPhone for to see if I can switch from TMo in October (my wirefly contract expires then) and thru the Apple online "buy iPhone" application, it processed then told me no reservations available right now but I can go to the nearest Apple store to reserve an iPhone 4.

I thought this process would tell me if I needed to put a deposit down. It didnt say any deposit so my friend who would be on the other line with me tried it too. Her credit isnt that great and neither is mine so we were expecting a large deposit. She did her info and the message said her deposit would be $150 so now I know Apple does tell you what deposit is needed.

1) does this mean for me (i did it twice, same results) I dont have to pay a deposit to get the iPhones? Does this mean if it goes under her name it is $150 per line or for both lines?

2) if I go into Apple store (kinda far for me so it better be worth it...) will they disregard that no deposit was asked from me online and charge me a deposit?

The only way I can switch to AT&T is if the deposit is none or very minimal, otherwise I might as well stay on TMo and get the phone for retail price.

Does anyone know if Apple restocks on IPhone 4, then I could make a reservation online, sign up with AT&T, and pay no deposit and get the iPhones to my doorstep? Sorry for all the questions, been on Verizon then TMo all my life, I have no idea how the Apple/AT&T things work.

Im hoping the fact that no deposit was requested of me online stands true also in an Apple or AT&T retail store. Thanks in advance guys!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

1) There's no definite 'yes' that you're gonna be w/out a deposit. AT&T could reprocess your credit check, just to make sure you're not stealing someone's identity, and ask for a deposit later. I have seen this happen before with family members. So you're not in the clear at least until your first bill comes in.
    You should talk to AT&T over the phone beforehand, as they would be the ones who are activating your service.

2) Each Apple store (as well as the online store) is its own AT&T reseller, so their policy might require them to do their own credit check as part of the purchase process. The only case the credit check may not be necessary is if you bought the phone full price (which may not be an option right now because of backlogged preorders and reservations among other things).

You might be able to make a Apple Store reservation to purchase an iPhone (even at full price) with no money put down immediately, but you'd have to decide by the time they ask you to pick it up whether or not you'll buy it. They give you 24 hours to pick up your reservation. However, last I checked only AT&T corp stores and the online stores can you do at-home delivery. YMMV.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Thanks for the info. Definitely wont be buying the iPhone at full price. I went through apple.com and did the buy iphone process just to see if I could get approved with a small or no deposit. What I ultimately want is for what I said before to happen no deposit. i plan to stay with AT&T for a while after cuz Im tired of worrying about unlocking my phone all the time and not having 3G.